Barry Sanders is Only 5 ft 8 in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders</a>

Albeit, he does weigh-in at 200 lbs. :)

Anyway, here's Barry's professional accomplishments...

In the 1989 NFL draft, he was selected in the 1st round (3rd overall) by the Detroit Lions.
As a receiver, Sanders had 352 receptions for 2,921 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Detroit Lions.
Sanders led the NFL in rushing yards four times. 1990, 1994, 1996, and 1997.
Most Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10) tied with Walter Payton
Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10)
Most Seasons, 1,300 or More Yards Rushing (9) tied with Walter Payton
Most Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (7)
Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (5) tied with Emmitt Smith, 1991–1995
Most Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (5)
Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (4)
In 1997, he set an NFL record by rushing for at least 100 yards in 14 consecutive games and became only the third player to reach 2,000 yards in a single season. He shared the NFL MVP award with Brett Favre.
During the final 14 games of the 1997 season Sanders rushed for exactly 2000 yards on 310 carries (6.5 yd./carry), a figure which bears comparison with O.J. Simpson's 14-game mark of 2003 yards on 332 carries (6.0 yd./carry).
Each of his 10 years from 1989 through 1998 he was first- or second-team All-Pro and selected to the Pro Bowl.
Over his professional football career, he rushed for at least 100 yards in 76 games, just short of Walter Payton's 77 games and Emmitt Smith's 78 games.
NFL record 25 games in which Sanders rushed for 150 yards or more. Jim Brown is second with 22 games.
NFL record 46 games in which Sanders had 150 yards from scrimmage or more. Walter Payton is second with 45.
15 career touchdown runs of 50 yards or more, most in NFL history. Jim Brown is second with 12.
At the time of his retirement, Sanders' 15,269 career rushing yards placed him second behind Walter Payton's 16,726 yards. At Sanders' then-current yearly yardage pace, he would have eclipsed Payton within one or two years. Payton died from liver cancer at age 45 just months after Sanders' sudden retirement.
His 18,190 career yards from scrimmage place him sixth on the all-time list.
His career average of 5.0 yards per rushing attempt (min. 1500 att) is second all-time for running backs. Jim Brown is first with a 5.2 career average.
His career rushing yards per game average of 99.8 yards is second in NFL history behind only Jim Brown's 104.3 yards per game.
In 1999, he was ranked number 12 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranking Lions player and the third highest ranked running back, behind Jim Brown and Walter Payton.
On January 31, 2004, he was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
On August 8, 2004, he was inducted to the Hall of Fame along with Bob Brown, Carl Eller, and John Elway.
Sanders also holds the NFL record for the most carries for negative yardage. According to the SI Book of Football, these numbers totaled 336 carries for -952 Yards.

V3

Hall of Fame
His weight is a big factor in that. You can't ignore that. You have to have mass to withstand NFL impacts. I just hope that Austin can put on some weight AND STILL keep his speed, acceleration, and quickness.

That's my only concern with him. Well, I do kinda wonder about his catch radius but I'm not too worried about that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I commented on the "whole buncha Austin videos" thread that he reminded me of Barry Sanders. The way he can cut back/jump back and then his ability to hit the next gear in one stride. Heck in many of the games, towards the end when the defenders realized how fast and explosive he is, if he would cut back and they flinched at all, they knew they were beat and sometimes didn't even try. He's that good...he makes defenders not even try

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's lighter than Barry, but he's not a full time running back either.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
For those of us who actually strapped on a football helmet at some time in our lives...

I know you remember the time when a much smaller player lit your ass up with an unexpected big hit in practice or maybe even a game. I know one of the biggest hits I ever took was delivered by a player much smaller than me.

Don't underestimate a player due to his size. I understand the concerns I've seen some express on Austin's size... but this little firecracker is a fucking badass football player in a compact package. He'll always be playing like he has something to prove,,, that huge chip on his shoulder is carrying a massive punch.

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

This. Austin won't be taking the punishment that Sander did.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

Exactly....my primary concerns for him are when he's coming across the middle or returning kick-off's and/or punts, it's the unexpected that concerns me. When he's in space, most can't get a hand on him let along tackle him. But car crashes (returns) and running across the middle (congestion) are unpredictible.....danger Will Robinson, danger. :omg:

jap

Legend
He will put on weight and muscle. Players normally do their main weight/muscle building during full NFL off-seasons, and Tavon won't have one of those until next year. The goal will be to establish the optimal point maximizing strength & weight without compromising speed & quickness.

As CGI pointed out, this is no full-time RB. However, he once was an RB in high school and like all successful small RB's has learned how to preserve himself.

Like I indicated on another thread, adding this player may very well be likened to adding a Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, or Marshall Faulk to your team. He has that kind of electric speed & quickness.

WvuIN02

Starter
WVU fan here chiming in.

Tavon like Barry Sanders is adept at getting down and not taking a big hit. Some people think hes afraid of contact, but I've listened to him in interviews for years and he has mentioned how Barry would step out of bounds and not take a huge shot. If its for a first down he will, but he understands that him being on the field and healthy trumps constantly getting hit at his size and injured. Thats why he has never missed a game in high school or college. Trust me, you want the ball in this kids hands as much as possible and him on the field. He gets that.

Our coach Dana Holgorsen pointed out that Tavon has never missed a practice in college. Not one. He went to class, was never in trouble once in 4 years at WVU off the field. Great kid. Hes fiery and competitive, he let Tyrann Mathieu have an earful after he torched him multiple times when Matthieu was talking trash pre game. He had almost 200 yards receiving vs LSUs defense that went to the title game last year. You guys will LOVE this kid.

Definitely going to be a Rams fan now to watch how he does.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
WvuIN02 said:
WVU fan here chiming in.

Tavon like Barry Sanders is adept at getting down and not taking a big hit. Some people think hes afraid of contact, but I've listened to him in interviews for years and he has mentioned how Barry would step out of bounds and not take a huge shot. If its for a first down he will, but he understands that him being on the field and healthy trumps constantly getting hit at his size and injured. Thats why he has never missed a game in high school or college. Trust me, you want the ball in this kids hands as much as possible and him on the field. He gets that.

Our coach Dana Holgorsen pointed out that Tavon has never missed a practice in college. Not one. He went to class, was never in trouble once in 4 years at WVU off the field. Great kid. Hes fiery and competitive, he let Tyrann Mathieu have an earful after he torched him multiple times when Matthieu was talking trash pre game. He had almost 200 yards receiving vs LSUs defense that went to the title game last year. You guys will LOVE this kid.

Definitely going to be a Rams fan now to watch how he does.
Welcome to the board. Thanks for the first hand insight.

I thought about that yesterday,how Ike and Torry used to catch an 18 yard slant and hit the turf before defenders could get a shot at them in space. It irritated me at times,but it was deliberately wise. It allowed them to play alot longer in their careers im sure. Bruce was 188 lbs soaking wet btw,and he learned how to protect himself. Austin will need to do the same.

had

Rookie
Selassie I said:
For those of us who actually strapped on a football helmet at some time in our lives...

I know you remember the time when a much smaller player lit your ass up with an unexpected big hit in practice or maybe even a game. I know one of the biggest hits I ever took was delivered by a player much smaller than me.

Don't underestimate a player due to his size. I understand the concerns I've seen some express on Austin's size... but this little firecracker is a freaking badass football player in a compact package. He'll always be playing like he has something to prove,,, that huge chip on his shoulder is carrying a massive punch.

Hoo-rah.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Come on...

Obviously there's a learning curve for every rookie coming into the NFL ,,, but some people are acting like Austin will now, for the first time, have to learn how to play football.

He fucking played Division 1 football and never missed a game or even a practice. I realize that D-1 college ball is not the NFL , but its certainly not the place where all the bench warmers go and play.

This kid is a fucking Baller. Period.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
Barry had Tree Trunk Thighs. He was so amazing to watch back in the day. He like Jim Brown left the grid iron still in their prime.