Barron and Tree have been great...in coverage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Alot of guys on here and myself have been disappointed by our 2 "small" linebackers so far this season . They have missed tackles and been over aggressive against the running game.
However they have been great in pass coverage and they shut down the middle of field against Dallas. How many catches did written have ?

Maybe this is wades plan ? If the d line can dominate like they did this week , it will allow these 2 to shut down the middle.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Well, a player in a sideline interview after the game mentioned that one of Wade's adjustments was to have the d-line step up (can't remember who was interviewed). If the d-line can dominate it allows Wade to do all kinds of things in coverage -- I think Eric Davis mentioned that Wade got more help for Webster in the second half. Also, one of Wade's major adjustments last week was to blitz less (and dropping the ILBs into coverage) see below. [Yes, an article talking about the Rams blitzing less features a picture of a blitzing Tree.]

Rams second-half adjustments included not blitzing Cowboys QB Dak Prescott as much
They still got pressure, but the Rams decided it was better to contain Dak in the pocket.
by Dave Halprin Oct 2, 2017, 1:00pm CDT
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...itzing-dallas-cowboys-qb-dak-prescott-as-much

856380392.0.jpg

Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images

The Dallas Cowboys offense was a well-oiled machine in the first half of their game against the Los Angeles Rams. In the second half, it was a totally different story. As has been noted many times, the game was a tale of two halves. Dak Prescott’s stats are demonstrative of the dichotomy. In the first half, Prescott was 11 of 15 for 155 yards and two touchdowns. In the second half, he was 9 for 21 for 97 yards and one touchdown.

What changed? The Rams blitzed less in the second half and that was very effective. According to PFF:

Dak Prescott excelled when blitzed, completing 10 of 14 passes for 118 yards, 2 TDs and a 136.3 passer rating. However, when not blitzed, he only completed 10 of 22 passes for 134 yards, a TD, an INT, and a 61.6 passer rating.

ESPN has similar stats:

In the first half, Prescott beat the Rams blitz for 115 yards and a score on 8-of-9 passing, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In the second half, the Rams did not blitz as much, which kept Prescott in the pocket.

Prescott believes part of the problem was his footwork.

“It’s just knowing where I’m going with the ball, having a good idea where I’m going with the ball so that my feet can be in tune with my mind,” Prescott said. “And just being balanced and making those throws.”

Much has been made of Dak’s problems connecting with Dez Bryant. The stats show that Dez wasn’t really the problem.

Dez Bryant was targeted 13 times, catching 6 of the 7 catchable passes for 98 yards. The passer rating when targeting Bryant was only a 72.0.

Dez had one high-profile “drop”, but if Prescott hadn’t made him drop to his knees to try and catch the pass, it likely would have been a perfect seven for seven for Dez on catchable passes. That means Dak threw six uncatchable passes to Dez, that’s just way too many.

In Dak’s defense, his offensive line is failing him.

Even though they did not allow a sack the offensive line did a poor job pass blocking against the Rams, by allowing 4 hits and 13 hurries for a NFL week high of 17 total pressures allowed. Their 68.1 Pass Blocking Efficiency rating is the 2nd worst this week in the NFL.

The Cowboys offensive line is another piece of the puzzle in the Cowboys uneven first quarter of the season. They need to be better, but Dak knows he has to be better, too.

On Sunday when everybody thought [Dak] would put it all together [on the final drive], he completed 2-of-8 passes for 18 yards, including one drop and one spike.

“I just have to be better,” Prescott said. “No reason. No excuse.”

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It was Wades plan to double Witten and Beasley. He basically took away Daks security blanket and left Dez and Williams alone outside. Pretty smart move if you ask me.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was Wades plan to double Witten and Beasley. He basically took away Daks security blanket and left Dez and Williams alone outside. Pretty smart move if you ask me.
That's what ol skip said I'm waiting fir the all 22 on game pass to see if it's true

TexasRam

Legend
There may be some truth to this.

But I can tell you 2 critical plays were succesful because of Olgeltree blitzing.

One was on the 2 point conversion. Olgeltrees pressure caused a rushed incompletion on the run.

Another Olgeltree blitz was on the final Cowboys drive where we stopped them to clinch the game.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
There may be some truth to this.

But I can tell you 2 critical plays were succesful because of Olgeltree blitzing.

One was on the 2 point conversion. Olgeltrees pressure caused a rushed incompletion on the run.

Another Olgeltree blitz was on the final Cowboys drive where we stopped them to clinch the game.
He's been an effective blitzer this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have zero issues with Ogletree & Barron in pass defense both have been outstanding. Plus both can be effective when asked to get skinny & penetrate the LOS to get to the QB once again they have been good.

On the flip side these two inside LB'ers have had all kinds of issues in this 34 D run defense & tackling. I have yet to see Tree or Barron go head up against the RB & win with a hit. Neither are ideal fits here & when you team them together inside .....well we get what what we have seen in these first 4 games. Said it in another post I believe that if Snead could get a bona fide thumper in here real soon it will greatly help both Barron & Ogletree when they are having critical issues.

Bottom line here these ex safeties do offer some real good stuff but it the main responsibility in stopping the runs up the middle of our defense where they are having problems.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well what's ironic here is that's how you gotta play Russell Wilson too, who's up next for us. Reason Fish had such good success with Sheattle is the way he and Williams had that DL play a containing rush that limited running lanes for him and made him throw from the pocket.

So hopefully that approach in the second half of last game will help them be ready for this Sunday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams second-half adjustments included not blitzing Cowboys QB Dak Prescott as much
They still got pressure, but the Rams decided it was better to contain Dak in the pocket.
I hate to be an "I told you so" But I said before the game, We needed to keep Dak in the Box and keep Zeke from getting out-side!
In the second half when Wade moved Smart to NT and Brockers to DT it was "Game Over" for the CowPie's!
It's a different Team, But I expect Wade to start by doing the same thing against Wilson and the SeaHags! Keeping Smart at NT and Brockers at DT works!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just watched the game...up to the 3rd Quarter....not as bad as I expected. Zeke can play....So can Dez....take away that 70 yard run by....who was that? Dude outta Washington...And I hate doing that..it's part of the game....Bad run fits by Barron on that one...but terrible missed tackles by Mo and Cody.

Personally thought it was Barron best game of the season...and again, seemed like Tree was all over the field. Still adjusting IMO....And Barron in man to man coverage on ANY TE was a beast! Tree, not so much.

This is where Ogletree stood out...While Barron seemed best in coverage...I think he'd move seamlessly into the SS position in 2018

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The key to this defense is Ogletree, Barron has been stepping up lately but Ogletree has to hit his gaps correctly and hard. If he isn’t blitzing he is too tentative in hitting the hole. Like on that goal line touch down by Elliot Brockers has a great push inside and Ogletree just looked at the hole and by the time he decided to attack it it was too late. Once he starts playing and stop thinking that’s when this defense will finally step up. We all know Donald is going to do his job but Donald attack those gaps so hard if Ogletree can’t follow up behind him it’s all for nothing that’s why so many big runs are right up the gut on us

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bad run fits by Barron on that one...but terrible missed tackles by Mo and Cody.

I remember that play and that’s actually on Ogletree the defensive line shifted Barron had outside containment by Quinn and ogletree was supposed to slide and attack to the right but instead he went left and that left that hole open

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Alot of guys on here and myself have been disappointed by our 2 "small" linebackers so far this season . They have missed tackles and been over aggressive against the running game.
However they have been great in pass coverage and they shut down the middle of field against Dallas. How many catches did written have ?

Maybe this is wades plan ? If the d line can dominate like they did this week , it will allow these 2 to shut down the middle.

What about the TD pass to TE Hanna? Ogletree started to cover him and then bailed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just watched the game...up to the 3rd Quarter....not as bad as I expected. Zeke can play....So can Dez....take away that 70 yard run by....who was that? Dude outta Washington...And I hate doing that..it's part of the game....Bad run fits by Barron on that one...but terrible missed tackles by Mo and Cody.

Personally thought it was Barron best game of the season...and again, seemed like Tree was all over the field. Still adjusting IMO....And Barron in man to man coverage on ANY TE was a beast! Tree, not so much.

This is where Ogletree stood out...While Barron seemed best in coverage...I think he'd move seamlessly into the SS position in 2018

Yeah I think Baron is coming around. Ogletree may still be adjusting, but filling the gap and taking on backs head to head just isn't his game. I think he is a poor fit for this D, especially next to Baron. Baron is a better version of the type of LBer that Ogletree is, plus he hits harder. Pair Baron with a Patrick Willis and bingo!

I have been saying shutdown corner is the likely top draft target. At this point maybe it is instinctual run stuffing mlb.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Yeah I think Baron is coming around. Ogletree may still be adjusting, but filling the gap and taking on backs head to head just isn't his game. I think he is a poor fit for this D, especially next to Baron. Baron is a better version of the type of LBer that Ogletree is, plus he hits harder. Pair Baron with a Patrick Willis and bingo!

I have been saying shutdown corner is the likely top draft target. At this point maybe it is instinctual run stuffing mlb.

wade has had success with late pick mlbs before and his scheme excells with good corners so if they end up replacing ogletree and/or barron i doubt it would be with a 1st

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Thanks for all the great info mates.....ya, if I had let go of one next year, somehow I keep Barron. THough I love Ogletree as a Mike in the 4-3.

Ogletree for a 2nd rounder is quite a nice thing in week 6 (to the Browns, would be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)....ya, we cost ourselves this season, but 2018 and 2019 are THE years!!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not sure Tree is a fit in this scheme. I expect the Rams to go heavy on D in the next draft. I love AO, but he was looking to be pretty expensive and if he isn't a scheme fit, we may be able to save $ and draft someone more suited for it. Maybe make a move in FA for an interim player. We all know AD is getting paid after this season.....the Rams need to scavenge as much $ as possible.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure Tree is a fit in this scheme. I expect the Rams to go heavy on D in the next draft. I love AO, but he was looking to be pretty expensive and if he isn't a scheme fit, we may be able to save $ and draft someone more suited for it. Maybe make a move in FA for an interim player. We all know AD is getting paid after this season.....the Rams need to scavenge as much $ as possible.

Been thinking the same here. Looks like some Ram drama is building up here with our LB'ing unit Faceplant. Your 2nd & 3rd sentences above when read side by side hit hard & speak volumes. You would think that our best LB'er & past first round draft selection & a great pick to boot, who has played lights out the last 3 yrs would certainly be a sure bet to get a new high cost long term contract. Fact is if he continues to struggle even with being our all important Defensive Captain it looks highly unlikely at this point. A well known fact that comes into play here is Wade's history of finding good interior LB'ers from late round draft selections or UDFA's.

AO is not an OSLB'er in the Wade "D" thus he has to fit into one of the two interior posts. I posted about this earlier where AO might fit better playing the weak-side interior LB'ing position where Mark Barron plays. Currently AO usually lines up on the strong side of the formation. Problem with that is the 220 lb Mark Barron would be in a bad way playing the strong side worse than AO.

I would offer up a quick fix solution here for Wade if I could ....OLB'er Quinn is 100% MIA in run defense. Thus leaving the other 3 LB'ers having to pick up the Quinn responsibilities this is not right by any means. So not all of these big run can be place squarly on Ogletree & Barron. If Wade would address that 1 dismal LB'ing post here shortly it would help give both Barron & Ogletree some relief & help in run defense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would offer up a quick fix solution here for Wade if I could
You can....I think this game vs a familiar opponent...the Seahawks...will show a different side to these LB's....

.OLB'er Quinn is 100% MIA in run defense. Thus leaving the other 3 LB'ers having to pick up the Quinn responsibilities this is not right by any means. So not all of these big run can be place squarly on Ogletree & Barron. If Wade would address that 1 dismal LB'ing post here shortly it would help give both Barron & Ogletree some relief & help in run defense.

I don't think Quinn was on the field that much last game....Saw a bunch of Longacre....and a lil Samson as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think Quinn was on the field that much last game....Saw a bunch of Longacre....and a lil Samson as well.
Quinn started the game & played heavy in the first half but your right he did give way to a heavy amount of plays where Longacre finished strong. Ebukam got in many plays in the 2nd half too but he was Barwin's relief.