Barrett Jones moving closer to return --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Barrett Jones moving closer to return
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12232/barrett-jones-moving-closer-to-return

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Barrett Jones was poised to push for playing time in his second NFL season when he began feeling shooting pain down his leg and nerve pain early in training camp.

Jones wasn't sure what the problem was but he knew something wasn't right and the pain was becoming too much to overcome.

"It had been bothering me a little bit, but during camp it just got really, really bad and it just started kind of biting at me a little bit," Jones said. "So it got to the point where they thought that was the best course of action. Obviously you never want to have back surgery but it just got to the point where that was what they recommended to do. Unfortunately we had to go and get that taken care of."

While there's no such thing as "minor" back surgery, Jones said relative to most back surgeries, his wasn't as daunting as it could have been. The procedure was enough to keep Jones out for the entire preseason and the first three weeks of the season. It doesn't look like he'll be back in time for this week's game against Philadelphia but he did have a uniform and helmet on in Wednesday's practice as he did some work on the side.

"He’s coming, no he’s not ready," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s very, very close.”

With Jones projecting to return in the near future, the question then becomes what his role will be when he gets back. He was poised to provide depth on the interior of the line and potentially even push for playing time at center before the surgery. He figures to fall in behind starting center Scott Wells and primary backup Tim Barnes.

Missing so much time after taking the NFL equivalent of a redshirt in his rookie season last year hasn't been easy for Jones.

"It was really frustrating," Jones said. "I felt like I was playing well and it was frustrating. But just a small setback and hopefully I’ll be back in no time. I’m feeling really good. The rehab is going as planned so it shouldn’t be too long now."