Barrett Jones (Awesome!)!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Barret Jones.....

Good pick Barrett Jones.....solid line depth...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Me too!!!!!

I finally got a mock draft pick right!! :dancin: :dancin: :dancin:

V3

Hall of Fame
i really like the pick but when will he be able to play?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[wrapimg=left]http://i.imgur.com/agewOIm.jpg[/wrapimg]OVERVIEW

The key to Barrett Jones’ lengthy career at Alabama has been versatility. Alabama head coach Nick Saban has compared the four year starter to NFL great Bruce Matthews, who famously played all five offensive line positions in the NFL. Jones, too, played all five offensive line positions during his four years starting at Alabama. The medical redshirt was made necessary by an injury to his right shoulder three games into his first year on campus. He then started all 14 contests at right guard as a redshirt freshman for Nick Saban's first BCS champion Tide squad in 2009. For his redshirt sophomore season, Jones earned third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press, as well as first-team All-SEC mention from league media for his play as a sophomore. He started 11 games that year, missing the final two regular season contests with a high ankle sprain. He earned third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press, as well as first-team All-SEC mention from league media for his play as a sophomore. He started 11 games that year, missing the final two regular season contests with a high ankle sprain.

Jones made the rare switch from right guard to left tackle in 2011 to replace James Carpenter, a first-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks. He handled the transition so well (while also playing left guard, right tackle and center at times) for the Bowl Championship Series champions that he received the Outland Trophy as the nation’s best “interior lineman” as well as the SEC’s Jacob Blocking Trophy, given to the league’s best lineman. He also possesses the intelligence and high character NFL offensive line coaches desire in their prospects, finishing his degree in accounting in just three years, and won the Wuerffel Trophy for his play on the field and work in the academic and community service worlds.

His final year on campus featured another move, this time to the center position. He capped the year off with another consensus selection to the All-American and All-SEC teams, as well as winning the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s top center), despite a Lisfranc injury limiting his mobility over the second half of the season.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Possesses NFL size for an interior player. Solid pass protector whether playing inside or outside, plays with a wide base, mirrors and anchors effectively by keeping his feet moving and extends his arms to stay engaged. Good hip extension in the run game. Gets correct angle to create running lane when blocking on the move, can also create space inside by moving his man out of the hole using his hands and bulk. Able to seal the tackle and then work to linebackers close to the line on combo blocks. Can reach the 3-technique defensive tackle from the center spot. Fits on second-level blocks very well in the run game. Very good football and general intelligence. Great awareness of late blitzers and twist stunts, and he gives excellent effort to reach free rushers so his quarterback stays upright.

WEAKNESSES Limited athlete who will be at his best on the inside at the next level. Tends to stop his feet and lunge at pass rushers on the edge. Top-heavy, upright runner on pulls without great foot speed. Gets to the second level well, but can struggle tracking and adjusting to moving targets. Quicker linebackers and defensive backs jump around his lunges if he is unable to get his hands on their numbers. Inconsistent firing out of his stance and staying low on short-yardage plays. Hand placement improved in his senior season, but he has soft hands with a limp punch. Doesn’t play with a mean streak. Can get complacent and will fight for initial position, but doesn’t finish blocks and allows his man to disengage too often. Prone to making his initial block and then ball-watching instead of finding a second target. Has a lengthy injury history (but shows the toughness to play through them) and will need to check out medically.

NFL COMPARISON Daryn Colledge

BOTTOM LINE 2012 Rimington and 2011 Outland Trophy winner has played every spot on the line while helping the Tide win three BCS championships in the last four years. Has spent most of his time on the interior, which is where he projects best in the NFL. While not the strongest or most athletic lineman, Jones’ versatility, intelligence and high character should get him penciled in at guard or center for the next decade in the NFL.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/barrett-jones?id=2539195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539195</a>

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
V3 said:

Anywhere on the interior. If you look at Fisher's LGs in Tennessee, a lot of them were undersized(6'3" to 6'4" 300 to 310) guys. Eugene Amano, Fernando Velasco, Jacob Bell, Bruce Matthews, etc.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Only 6 missed assignment and NO sacks given-up ALL season.

[nfl]0ap2000000160568[/nfl]

V3

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
V3 said:

Anywhere on the interior. If you look at Fisher's LGs in Tennessee, a lot of them were undersized(6'3" to 6'4" 300 to 310) guys. Eugene Amano, Fernando Velasco, Jacob Bell, Bruce Matthews, etc.

I'm sure he'll eventually play C. That's not what I'm wondering. I'm wondering WHEN. He has that Lisfranc (sp?)injury in his foot. I've heard he'd be on the PUP list for the year so wouldn't play at all but I'm not sure that's true.

Simba

Rookie
I like him!He is a multifaceted player and he has always proved to be able to adapt to the roles assigned to, without forgetting that showed a lot of character.Did you see the dispute with McCarron during the championship game vs. Notre Dame?The only thing worries me he is injuried very often ...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Simba said:
I like him!He is a multifaceted player and he has always proved to be able to adapt to the roles assigned to, without forgetting that showed a lot of character.Did you see the dispute with McCarron during the championship game vs. Notre Dame?The only thing worries me he is injuried very often ...
R U talking about this???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582un3oOUbk[/youtube]

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
V3 said:
good question...maybe not this year, but can back up all three interior spots and may end up starting because of it

Simba

Rookie
Stranger said:
Simba said:
R U talking about this???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582un3oOUbk[/youtube]

Yes!Good job Stranger!Then during the game in the sideline, they continued to discuss.Just when te game was over they finished.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
brokeu91 said:
V3 said:
good question...maybe not this year, but can back up all three interior spots and may end up starting because of it

He'll be placed on the PUP to start the year, so 6 weeks.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I would think he's going to be our centre of the future. Furthermore I would be comfortable with him starting late in his rookie year... I think he needs to add some muscle before he can replace Wells full time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
PressureD41 said:
I would think he's going to be our centre of the future. Furthermore I would be comfortable with him starting late in his rookie year... I think he needs to add some muscle before he can replace Wells full time.

Center

Jones will surpass Wells very fast at center once he is fully healed just a short matter of time. I really believe that at the end of last season when Snead, Fisher & Boudreau sat down & reviewed what they got for their most expensive offensive addition & its near 8 mil they paid Wells last yr.....they were very very disappointed..... I am sure.

Jones is a Wells wake up call to get himself in shape. After the Rams got hm he had surgery on his knee spent the entire TC & most all pre season in rehab. The Rams may have slightly rushed Wells back into the field due to the critical need of having Robert Turner start @ OLG. Wells played in one series in the last pre season game. Then in the first quarter of the first game he broke the foot on the same leg that he had knee surgery on. Wells had another surgery on the bones of that foot & the Ram placed him on that new special type IR where he rehabbed that foot & leg again. It remained unhealthy for the remaining season Wells was listed on all 17 weeks of the injury report. The same leg that had both surgeries on in 2012 (knee & foot) had its third surgery performed on it early in 2013 so he has undergone his third rehabbing event. I think that knee and leg is worn out.

Due to the above & the loss of Robert Turner to free agency who saved the Rams OL last yr with the on going health issues of Wells the Rams needed to protect themselves. Tim Barnes was the back up to Wells but even though he has been with the Rams now for well over two yrs he has never seen the field with the starting unit. Well this forum has shown very little concern with Wells.... I have the opposite feelings & beliefs . The selection of Jones confirmed my befliefs even more. Jones may not win a starting position from Wells cause he is dealing with his own rehabb event or even if Wells is healthy but thus far one thing I know is that I have not seen Wells healthy!

Maybe he will show up in TC in shape but I bet that when Jones shows up healthy ...Wells will NOT be the stronger of the two in spite of Jones recent surgery himself! Jones may not have the ideal strength needed by most young OL'ers to start but he is a Boudreau delight with his smarts and knowledge of the technical and finesse parts of playing OL. Once he gets into the weight room with the other Ram OL'ers he will rise to the occasion he was the Bama's OL leader. No Way Wells can keep Jones from starting very long.

Offensive Left Guard

Not sure how things will work out @ OLG post with Watkins-Smith-Williams & Washington looking to be the starter there but I am sure Jones will get his time in there too. That's a crowded starting prospective OLG cadre if you ask me. No great need for Jones to throw his hat into that free for all but if given the chance I bet he would be competitive.This pick was very important to Sam Bradford's future in many ways.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I really agree w/ your last sentence!!!
So true on many differ levels!!! Great read by the way

This pick was very important to Sam Bradford's future in many ways.