Barnes hoping to parlay experience into starting center job/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Tim Barnes hoping to parlay experience into starting center job
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...to-parlay-experience-into-starting-center-job

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After the St. Louis Rams declined to extend a restricted free agent offer sheet to center Tim Barnes in March, Barnes got his second taste of what it's like to go searching for an NFL home.

The first had come back in 2011, when Barnes went undrafted out of Missouri. Given a chance to take control of his football fate, Barnes sought the place that provided him the greatest opportunity to stick on a roster. He eventually landed in Baltimore, where he spent training camp before the Rams took a shot on him.

This time around, the situation was similar but the stakes much higher. Barnes has been on the Rams active roster for the past three seasons, playing 45 games and even starting four in 2013. Although he previously offered valuable depth, Barnes hadn't done enough to stake a claim to a starting spot.

But after Barnes looked around for potential options, including a visit with the Kansas City Chiefs, he came to the conclusion that the place that offered him his best chance to stick around was the same place that's offered him all of his previous NFL playing experience.

"I have been a backup for a few years now, and I know I'm getting older and it’s time," Barnes said. "It could be do or die, you never know. So this was a great opportunity, and that was our goal to find a place to give me an opportunity to start and play."

Indeed, the center position represents a vast land of opportunity for Barnes, Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney. That trio is competing for the job vacated by the March release of veteran Scott Wells.

Although Barnes only has four NFL starts to his name, he's the only one of the three to have any starting experience in the NFL. Taking it further, of the offensive linemen currently on the roster, only guard Rodger Saffold has been with the team longer or appeared in more games than Barnes. It's that experience that Barnes hopes will help give him a leg up in the competition for the job.

"This is going to be my fifth year here," Barnes said. "So only a few other guys have been here longer, or as long. So you’re familiar with the coaches and whenever young guys come in, I am more comfortable giving them advice and more comfortable taking on that role of trying to be a leader and trying to get everyone going. Whatever it is, it's one of those things as you get older you get accustomed to."

It's a role that Barnes has taken to, even with the knowledge that sharing his wisdom with his competitors could help them steal the starting job he covets.

"The great thing about the competition and playing there is if someone asks a question and I give them the right answer, it means I know what I'm doing," Barnes said. "That helps me. Maybe they asked a question I didn't think about but if I can figure it out, it helps us both. That makes us better as a team. The great thing about having competition is whoever wins the job, I know I'm doing my part to try to make the team better. So if I were to start, great, if someone else did, I know I pushed him and the team is going to be better for it."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Does anybody remember Barnes from Mizzu? I only ask because it seems that the coaches are trying their best to replace/upgrade the position...Rhaney-Wang-Jones....I don't think he's starter material...unless he's seriously better than the guy that played in week 17 vs Seattle....

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Watch out your're gonna see a bigger much improved Barnes than we've seen before suited up. Its his job to lose , even tho there will be a fair major competition that I'll bet most here will hope Barrett Jones comes out finally on top. I want whats the BEST for our RAMS. I admit I've been a big fan of Jones but I can't say where or what I know that lets me know we all will see a VERY different Barnes than what we've seen before. Thats a very good thing for us I'm really hoping it could possibly even be a GREAT thing if he has worked harder heading into this magic training camp competition. I want everyone to stay healthy for once thats involved in our starting 5 that need to gel greatly for the Sept. 13th game against the seahags. Hell Barrett Jones could lose out on the starting Center spot and still show well enough to be the center backup and also a guard backup as well as Jones knows everyones job on the line. We may reap a LONG AWAITED HARVEST. The best FIVE play on Sunday. GO RAMS!!!

Alan

Legend
No matter who wins the competition, it has to be a plus for the Rams to have 2 or 3 players pushing each other so hard.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Does anybody remember Barnes from Mizzu? I only ask because it seems that the coaches are trying their best to replace/upgrade the position...Rhaney-Wang-Jones....I don't think he's starter material...unless he's seriously better than the guy that played in week 17 vs Seattle....

If anyone is basing their opinion of Barnes on the Seattle game then they are doing him a serious injustice. If you remember, the first half of that game was close and the line performed pretty well. It was only after a series of injuries left only Barnes in his original OL position in the second half. That line was a shambles. Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington at G, Chris Williams at RT. You do Barnes an injustice if that's all you base your opinion on. Don't forget he was awarded two game balls for his work in the San Francisco and New Orleans games.

As for Mizzou, yes I remember. 1st team All Conference, Honorable Mention All-American. I remember him on a Saturday night leading an OL that overwhelmed #1 Oklahoma and Brent Musberger gushing over the Mizzou's OL, specifically Barnes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Barnes and I think he's gotten much stronger over the years and although I was tough I was tough on him against the Seahawks in 2013 I'm sure he would play better if given the opportunity week in and week out.

That being posted I have a good feeling about Barrett Jones. Fisher counts on his center to be able to make all the adjustments and that is considered Jones best asset. Jones has gotten stronger and feels healthier than he has since his senior year.

Let the battle begin and may the best guy win including Rhaney as well.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
So here is the question, how did he do when he actually started games here? I can't remember him being worse than Wells.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
So here is the question, how did he do when he actually started games here? I can't remember him being worse than Wells.

That's pretty much the case for starting him, "I can't remember him being worse than Wells."

:barefoot: