Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I said this on RT (forgive me) last week, but it took us ten years to replace Kyle Turley. Ten years. Here's some of the RT starters we had in that time:

- Grant Williams
- Alex Barron
- Brandon Gorin
- Adam Goldberg
- Jason Smith
- Harvey Dahl (!)
- Barry Richardson
- Rodger Saffold

Barksdale is steady, young, consistent, talented, healthy; dude's a known quantity, on the roster already, has a rapport with the other O-linemen and Boudreau, and needs to be a Ram for the next several years at least.

I also looked through the top 10 rated RTs in the game (in response to zn claiming that RTs are easy to find because the top 10 guys came from a variety of places) and found that teams simply do not let good starting right tackles walk. Case in point:

Let's look, then, at your list of 10, and see how long they've been with the team:
10: Eric Winston, 'Zona let him walk to Seattle
9: DJ Fluker, rookie in 2013, going nowhere for the next few years at least
8: Phil Loadholt, locked up by Minnesota, currently in his 6th year with the team, staying for another 2 at least
7: Andre Smith, locked up by Cincy, currently in his 6th year with the team, staying through 2015 at least
6: Anthony Davis, in his 4th year with SF, signed through 2015
5: Orlando Franklin, in his 4th year with the Broncos, still on rookie contract
4: Demar Dotson, came on in 2012, was locked up for 4 years - now in his 6th year with the team, signed through 2016
3: Doug Free, entering his 8th year with the Cowboys, got a $32mm contract in 2011
2: Sebastian Vollmer, entering year 6 with the Pats, re-upped last year to a 4 year $27mm deal
1: Zach Strief, entering his 9th year with New Orleans, re-signed to a 5-year $20.5mm deal

Yeah, they come from different backgrounds, but I don't see many examples of top RTs being allowed to walk by their teams.

TL DR - Re-sign Barksdale. Just... just do it.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I said this on RT (forgive me) last week, but it took us ten years to replace Kyle Turley. Ten years. Here's some of the RT starters we had in that time:

- Grant Williams
- Alex Barron
- Brandon Gorin
- Adam Goldberg
- Jason Smith
- Harvey Dahl (!)
- Barry Richardson
- Rodger Saffold

Barksdale is steady, young, consistent, talented, healthy; dude's a known quantity, on the roster already, has a rapport with the other O-linemen and Boudreau, and needs to be a Ram for the next several years at least.

I also looked through the top 10 rated RTs in the game (in response to zn claiming that RTs are easy to find because the top 10 guys came from a variety of places) and found that teams simply do not let good starting right tackles walk. Case in point:

Let's look, then, at your list of 10, and see how long they've been with the team:
10: Eric Winston, 'Zona let him walk to Seattle
9: DJ Fluker, rookie in 2013, going nowhere for the next few years at least
8: Phil Loadholt, locked up by Minnesota, currently in his 6th year with the team, staying for another 2 at least
7: Andre Smith, locked up by Cincy, currently in his 6th year with the team, staying through 2015 at least
6: Anthony Davis, in his 4th year with SF, signed through 2015
5: Orlando Franklin, in his 4th year with the Broncos, still on rookie contract
4: Demar Dotson, came on in 2012, was locked up for 4 years - now in his 6th year with the team, signed through 2016
3: Doug Free, entering his 8th year with the Cowboys, got a $32mm contract in 2011
2: Sebastian Vollmer, entering year 6 with the Pats, re-upped last year to a 4 year $27mm deal
1: Zach Strief, entering his 9th year with New Orleans, re-signed to a 5-year $20.5mm deal

Yeah, they come from different backgrounds, but I don't see many examples of top RTs being allowed to walk by their teams.

TL DR - Re-sign Barksdale. Just... just do it.
Wow, you put in some effort with that post!

That first list was a bit daunting to say the least.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So watching this last game I thought Joe Barksdale looked dominant in the pass and run games.... weather washing Peppers out of the run play or easily controlling Mathews in pass rush......so I went back and watched him against the Saints..... and I think that he may be one of the youngsters that pop and become a Great player for the Rams this year......what are your thoughts? If he does should we resign him before the end of the Season? Let me know what you think.....thanks..... Go Rams.....;)

I'll have to watch the games again, but while Barksdale has been solid I wouldn't say he's been dominant.

Dick84

I have to say... I like Barks a lot and want to see them keep him.

With the rising cap, I think, they can go to 5 or 6... I just can't see any more than that.

I'm not sure that'll be enough.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I say resign Barksdale. I don't want someone else getting our finished product while we wait for another pick to pan out. The chances of finding someone better aren't real good anyway, so bring some continuity to the line.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Wow, you put in some effort with that post!

That first list was a bit daunting to say the least.
Yeah, the words "Brandon Gorin" still strike fear in my heart.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you sign Barks to a big contract in 2015 what would that do to the 2016 super-sized contract demands of Quinn & Brockers?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If you sign Barks to a big contract in 2015 what would that do to the 2016 super-sized contract demands of Quinn & Brockers?
Andre Smith signed last season for 3 years $18mm. I'd imagine Barksdale will be something akin to 4 years $20mm, as he doesn't have quite the recognition as Smith. I don't see that $5m/year cap hit as really harming us regarding Quinn/Brockers. Consider that guys like JL, Long, Long and Hayes may at that point be replaced by guys like Sam/Westbrooks, Robinson, etc., and we've gotten rid of a bunch of cap, so we have wiggle room.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well... I hate to throw water on this topic; but the Rams have a lot of players with contracts coming due. Some tough choices ahead.

I like Barksdale and I'll be very happy if an extension can be worked out... But this is one of those situations that a draft pick could save us money (RT)... And his agent may very well advise his client to hit FA. <-- that's where I slide my chips.
Well, hopefully he goes back to Oakland....for a couple of days.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll have to watch the games again, but while Barksdale has been solid I wouldn't say he's been dominant.

Please do..... then tell me if you see him washing Peppers and Mathews right out on running plays and stoning them in pass rushes..... I went back and watched both games twice. ... I know what I saw...then please come back and tell me what you see.... thanks..... Go Rams.... ;)

PhxRam

I just got word that Barksdale is going to return to ROD yet again to answer some of your questions.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
he has been very good since stepping into the starting right tackle spot. he has been really the only constant on the line all training camp. I hope that they can sign him long term, he deserves it.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have a feeling we will learn from the past. Having a rotating door at RT is a terrible idea. He is young and damn good without even reaching his peak yet.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
He's been a really good player for us so far. Not an all pro RT but the best we've had since we've had since 98-99

Memphis Ram

Legend
Please do..... then tell me if you see him washing Peppers and Mathews right out on running plays and stoning them in pass rushes..... I went back and watched both games twice. ... I know what I saw...then please come back and tell me what you see.... thanks..... Go Rams.... ;)

Still haven't re-watched the game, but I did come across this play on the net. Thank goodness it was only a short drop/quick pass.
2f08bbc4d45021201656657a78f5f565.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still haven't re-watched the game, but I did come across this play on the net. Thank goodness it was only a short drop/quick pass.
That's what's up. Put him in motion and let him make a play. If they're in man and someone trails him, then hit the isolation matchup on the outside with Quick or whoever and let that dude make a play. Not bad for vanilla ball.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I absolutely don't wanna argue with you..... if this is what you would like to believe based on this one play ok...... I cannot change your mind. ....thank you for your input..... ;) I did ask for all replies. ...go Rams...... ;)