Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I thought he played well last year. However, we did try to trade up for Martin. This is disturbing to me. Barks obviously isn't the mauling RT Fisher likes, but to try and trade up is somewhat revealing. Maybe it's nothing against Barks, they obviously weren't willing to over extend to get Martin. I'm just wondering how they feel going into 2014 with Barks at RT. I think we may have had an all time great OL if we pulled it off and everyone stayed healthy. Maybe that's what they saw, I hope so.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think you're reading too much into how much they liked Martin and assuming it means they don't like Barksdale.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think you're reading too much into how much they liked Martin and assuming it means they don't like Barksdale.
Yeah I think they saw the chance for a three all pro draft and tried to "clear the bases" ....................four being a grand slam

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Martin isn't a road grater either, but he's versatile, and probably could have started at virtually any position on the OL. I don't think he would have started at RT at the beginning of the season. I'm thinking Center, or LT, until Long is healthy. It's spilled milk though, really.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think it says more about Saffold than Barksdale, I don't doubt the Rams are worried on if he can stay healthy or not. Remember this guy didn't sign with the Raiders because he couldn't pass a physical, he's still a question mark, and it kept him from getting his OT money and forced him to guard when he lost out his job.

I think we'll be seeing more of Barksdale at tackle than guard anyways.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They drafted Donald that doesn't mean they don't like Brockers and Langford.

DLineman rotate. OLineman typically do not. And apparently they were not thrilled with the interior pressure they were getting last year if they are bringing up sacks missed due to a lack of it.

Also, Snead's admission that an OSU Offensive Lineman (most likely to be OT Jack Mewhort) was the targeted player in round 3 makes one wonder.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
You seem to be overlooking that
1)Zack Martin projects better at OG
2)Barksdale is a Free Agent after next year
3)Martin is capable of playing C
I think this move says more about how the Rams view our depth and future prospects overall on the O-line than it does solely about what they think of Barksdale.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Martin probably would have played center to get the best players on the field. That would have been an unstoppable line.

Barksdale is still fantastic though. They like him.

fearsomefour

Legend
DLineman rotate. OLineman typically do not. And apparently they were not thrilled with the interior pressure they were getting last year if they are bringing up sacks missed due to a lack of it.

Also, Snead's admission that an OSU Offensive Lineman (most likely to be OT Jack Mewhort) was the targeted player in round 3 makes one wonder.
I was being a little sarcastic but you make valid points. The Rams did t get consistent push inside last year. I had not heard they were targeting a OT in the 3rd.
If they are looking to replace Barksdale that may have as much to do with projected salary as anything.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I thought he played well last year. However, we did try to trade up for Martin. This is disturbing to me. Barks obviously isn't the mauling RT Fisher likes, but to try and trade up is somewhat revealing. Maybe it's nothing against Barks, they obviously weren't willing to over extend to get Martin. I'm just wondering how they feel going into 2014 with Barks at RT. I think we may have had an all time great OL if we pulled it off and everyone stayed healthy. Maybe that's what they saw, I hope so.

Umm "disturbing" is a tad bit of a hyperbole, no?

Joe Barksdale is a decent tackle who is a FA after the season. They need to win now and maintain a sustainable roster w/ the players that are available.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think this move says more about how the Rams view our depth and future prospects overall on the O-line than it does solely about what they think of Barksdale.

This. I think it also shows how much value they put in the BPA draft philosophy. Aaron Donald was a luxury pick, as was Tre Mason and Martin would've been that as well. But, this team wants to add potential stars rather than plugging holes with lesser players.

I love it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

All of the above and more. Do we really think that the Rams will not continue to pay the wore down 29 yr old Jake Long 12.5 mil the next three seasons. Its probable that Greg Robinson will be our future starting OLT as early as next season maybe late this season if Jake contiues to have health issues & degrades.

If Robinson is forced to vacant the OLG post ...it will remain in a constant musical chair way. Where we have watched NINE OG's play OLG post for the Rams the last three years. Strong chance in 2015 when Barksdale departs for UFA'cy that the 30 yr old may get one more season @ 12.5 million to fill the ORT vacancy. Thats why Zack Martin was being looked at so hard .....it was to secure the future OLG with Greg Robinson @ OLT.

You also can see that they have continued concerns with Saffold injury history with the Davin Joesph signing. Of course I prefer that the real solid stout Barksdale is signed past this season to be our ORT, that Jake Long does not continue to wear out his body parts due to injury & remains @ OLT & Robinson can dominate @ OLG for a few years! Highly Unlikely all that much good fortune will happen.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Dansby and Washibgton won't be play for ARZ this year. That's huge...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Can you explain your comment Thordaddy. I'm don't get it...Yet.
It's baseball parlance ,bases loaded you clear the bases you end up with three ,runs/ or in this case three great players in one round.
If you'd ended up with four great players it's could be called a grand slam which scores four in baseball

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It's baseball parlance ,bases loaded you clear the bases you end up with three ,runs/ or in this case three great players in one round.
If you'd ended up with four great players it's could be called a grand slam which scores four in baseball
What if there is an unassisted triple play? :eek:

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Oh, I was under the impression that if we got Zack Martin we would not get Aaron Donald. So your saying we we're working a trade to get all three, and it fell through?