Barksdale Update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't agree with them 100% of the time either. But I guess there are two categories of opinions on this board. The "what would I do?" opinions aND the "what do I think the team will do"
opinions. I wouldn't sign him for anything more than what we gave Saffold.
Holy crap! I wouldn't even get close to what they gave Saffold.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Holy crap! I wouldn't even get close to what they gave Saffold.
Well Saffold makes an average of $5 million a year. I was thinking about 4.5 million at most for Barks. If he is a solid RT that's a great bargain for us!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jim Thomas reported Wednesday that the Rams may get Barksdale back "on the rebound." Perhaps this is what the Rams were counting on when they let Barksdale hit the open market, a move that surprised some. Barksdale was the Rams' best lineman last season, and is only 27.

Now that is a sizable slap to Rodger Saffold's face. No way in hell is JB's play close to what Saffold does. I just do not understand all this.

The free open market is a sure way to know where you really stand. If JB is hearing nothing out there & is not getting any interest in a very weak ORT market??? Then the rest of the NFL knows what a few around here know....JB has large holes in his pass pro game.

If your best OL'er has to be propped up & assisted by a one shoulder OG like Saffold so his play is decent and then we hear all the excuses that his play was poor cause he had Saffold & Joseph playing next to him in 2014 ????

If JB does return I would suggest that JB gets a TE attached permanently to his right side.

Last edited:

wmc540

Pro Bowler
JB really had his main struggles against 3-4 fronts. Hopefully they'll scheme better to help him next year if he stays.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Put a serviceable rg next to him and he's a pro bowler
o_O

JB's issues did not come from his left side where the ORG operates ...it was his outside right side. You will not find any ORG playing in that area.

Not so sure how we can blame Saffold & Joseph who started @ ORG last season for what happen clearly away from them.

If all it takes is a serviceable ORG.... then there must be more than a dozen NFL teams waiting in line to purchase his pro bowl services right now:ROFLMAO:.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Hard to believe there is not more interest. He had an off year last year but the sample size is big enough IMO that he is still a good player. Every player has an off year, I hope he is back plus what is the alternative? He is as good as any rookie we are going to draft and a lot more affordable then trying to replace him in FA.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Thinking objectively:
If i'm another team interested in Barksdale, i look at the Rams, who at this point are in desperate need of starting-caliber OLineman and have plenty of money to spend...and i'd be thiking "So why is Barksdale not a Ram yet?"
Just saying, i'd be hesitant too from the outside looking in. Maybe this will work into the Rams' favor.

My opinion is that Barks can play, as long as he isn't covering for shitty Guards next to him all game long. I'm hoping we can get him back in Horns.

Lesson

Oh, really?
o_O

JB's issues did not come from his left side where the ORG operates ...it was his outside right side. You will not find any ORG playing in that area.

Not so sure how we can blame Saffold & Joseph who started @ ORG last season for what happen clearly away from them.

If all it takes is a serviceable ORG.... then there must be more than a dozen NFL teams waiting in line to purchase his pro bowl services right now:ROFLMAO:.

His play did not start to drop until Saffold played LG. Once GRob started playing LT when Long went down, Saffold shifted to LG and Joseph to RG. Prior to that, his play had been grat.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Love to have him back for a good price. He's got a lot of things going for him and as people said, having Joseph next to him couldn't help much.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
His play did not start to drop until Saffold played LG. Once GRob started playing LT when Long went down, Saffold shifted to LG and Joseph to RG. Prior to that, his play had been grat.

Well we know that the Rams made JB several offers before he bolted into UFA'cy & from reports they were far apart. It obvious that I am in a small minority here in our great forum. I do not concur with your opinion of JB's 2014 performance. I would prefer that we move on from JB & his large contractual demands. At this time it would appear that Snead & Fisher feel similar to the same as I.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think Joe was pretty good when he was playing along side Saffold. I realize what Boni is saying but I still have to wonder how much of that was him having to hedge toward the gap. I was really disappointed at how he gave up the edge last year but I also think the right side has to play together and when you have Wells whiffing and mis-snapping his way through the season and Mr. Where'd He Go Joseph at RG, I don't know that you get a full assessment of Barks.

In any case, I go with what the coaches are seeing and let them set his value. He'll either be here at the right price or he'll be gone.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to believe there is not more interest.

maybe teams looked at the tape and saw him get beat like a drum by those speedy olb in those 34 defenses. sometimes they would run around him like he wasn't there.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Jim Thomas reported Wednesday that the Rams may get Barksdale back "on the rebound." Perhaps this is what the Rams were counting on when they let Barksdale hit the open market, a move that surprised some. Barksdale was the Rams' best lineman last season, and is only 27.

Now that is a sizable slap to Rodger Saffold's face. No way in hell is JB's play close to what Saffold does. I just do not understand all this.

The free open market is a sure way to know where you really stand. If JB is hearing nothing out there & is not getting any interest in a very weak ORT market??? Then the rest of the NFL knows what a few around here know....JB has large holes in his pass pro game.

If your best OL'er has to be propped up & assisted by a one shoulder OG like Saffold so his play is decent and then we hear all the excuses that his play was poor cause he had Saffold & Joseph playing next to him in 2014 ????

If JB does return I would suggest that JB gets a TE attached permanently to his right side.

JT doesn't watch Rams football......He just reports on it.