Barksdale kicked out of practice today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Pretty grim news

Yes it is you used a much sunnier word than I would have.

Truth is we all really like Joe Barksdale as a bright smart person he is a really good all around great guy! Upcoming ButtMonkey here.....

JB has large holes in his game..... Very limited athleticism for a OT! Not much can he do about that. OT's in todays NFL have to have a good amount of this stuff & fact is JB does not have enough. This lack of athleticism @ OT causes JB to be a step late at times which we have seen a ton of this season against the speeders. Bottom line here JB has a terrible time dealing with double-moves or edge rushers. This is the problem!

The best about JB is he has proven UN breakable! Some other good is JB has the perfect frame & size for a ORT. JB is a very strong ORT. JB when he is effective uses his great strength to stop the bull rush in pass protection with ease. Another area of good stuff is his ability to get running room by walling off defenders also with ease. I also have seen JB staying home against stunts & stuff but Joseph usually fails to work well with JB in this area.

I have no doubt that teaming Saffold with JB next season on that right side would result in a much positive turnout. But now you have a king size hole next to a STILL very young & not that experienced Greg Robinson who had had his worse game of the season last Sunday. Even Saffold could not help Robinson. Playing a rookie or a WWC next to Robinson would not be advisable either. If JB can not hold his own @ ORT then we need to look elsewhere ASAP.

I thinking that it would be very wise to offer JB a nice One yr contract only. Buying the Rams some additional time in getting the OL back up to contention. I would NOT over pay JB period. If another team wants to overpay for JB then let it be so!

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam taking a leap of no faith:
I thinking that it would be very wise to offer JB a nice One yr contract only. Buying the Rams some additional time in getting the OL back up to contention. I would NOT over pay JB period. If another team wants to overpay for JB then let it be so!
Two things and I'm not thinking all that well right now so bear with me but your suggestion is fraught with peril. Especially when we'd need to let him go before we see how the draft shakes out. I wouldn't grossly overpay him but I'd be willing to pay him more than he's worth in my mind. His "unbreakability" (and that should be a word (y)) is worth the overpaying of just what his skills would suggest his ceiling would be.

The other thing that strikes me is that thinking we would be able to sign him to a one year deal is NOT going to happen IMO. Even entertaining that thought in idle speculation is a waste of mind juice. :LOL: This is more a a Shakespearean situation. To overpay or not to overpay, that is the question.

Loved your analysis of his strengths and weaknesses Bonifay! (y)

Athos

Legend
Weird player to kick out.

Joseph and Wells should be kicked out of practice just for being terrible and single-handedly killing the offense each week.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Two things and I'm not thinking all that well right now so bear with me but your suggestion is fraught with peril. Especially when we'd need to let him go before we see how the draft shakes out. I wouldn't grossly overpay him but I'd be willing to pay him more than he's worth in my mind. His "unbreakability" (and that should be a word (y)) is worth the overpaying of just what his skills would suggest his ceiling would be.

The other thing that strikes me is that thinking we would be able to sign him to a one year deal is NOT going to happen IMO. Even entertaining that thought in idle speculation is a waste of mind juice. :LOL: This is more a a Shakespearean situation. To overpay or not to overpay, that is the question.

Loved your analysis of his strengths and weaknesses Bonifay! (y)

Most all starting UFA's are Grossly overpaid IMO Alan. I fully convinced that Barksdale ceiling on on field performance has been hit & hard @ that. If the 1 yr deal will not happen then good bye. Not to overpay is the correct answer when the Rams have so many more valuable starters coming up for UFA'cy in 2016! Seven of them are starters! No way we can sign all them up and if we overpay for a Barksdale & then end up with a loss of a Brockers or a Quick or a Jenkins cause we signed a Barksdale???? I would be :sick:!

NT Brockers
DT langford
QB Bradford
SS Barron
DE Hayes
WR Quick
CB Jenkins
CB Johnson
DE Eugene Sims
WR Givens
K Greg Zuerlein
RB Cinningham
LB Darren Bates

Best to save up & keep your UFA 2016 cap cash powder dry & not waste it on a overpriced incomplete ORT's. Rams could go the economy route fall back on young vets like Mike Person or Barrett Jones who have played in college most of their time on the right side of the OL & played OT good enough for both to win commendations from that play AND draft up some OT candidates in the 2015 draft(y).

If you don't like the ideal of playing Jones or Person or a talented rookie @ ORT then Saffold can give ORT a try again. Saffold's left shoulder was seriously damaged in a pre season game on August 2013. When he was the starting ORT. Saffold has not played OT very good since then & then was inserted into the vacant Harvey Dahl post. So if that left shoulder is back to full health he could be inserted back @ ORT until one of the younger OL'ers gets up to speed. So the Rams world does not end if Barksdale departs for another team. At least with Saffold playing back @ ORT who now have a starting ORT who can at least be the emergency OLT if need be. Something JB can not do.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam calling in his reserves:
Not to overpay is the correct answer when the Rams have so many more valuable starters coming up for UFA'cy in 2016! Seven of them are starters! No way we can sign all them up and if we overpay for a Barksdale & then end up with a loss of a Brockers or a Quick or a Jenkins cause we signed a Barksdale???? I would be :sick:!

Best to save up & keep your UFA 2016 cap cash powder dry & not waste it on a overpriced incomplete ORT's. Rams could go the economy route fall back on young vets like Mike Person or Barrett Jones who have played in college most of their time on the right side of the OL & played OT good enough for both to win commendations from that play AND draft up some OT candidates in the 2015 draft(y).

If you don't like the ideal of playing Jones or Person or a talented rookie @ ORT then Saffold can give ORT a try again.
In a perfect world all you points make perfect sense. The problem is, while, as you point out, we have many much better players we need to re-sign in the future, for most of them we have reasonable backups. That's not the case in Barks case and coming up with three new starters, not to mention a credible group of backups, is a task that would be daunting for even the best front offices. It's tough to accomplish a herculean task without having, you know, a Hercules on hand. :LOL:

I think we might have to bite the bullet on this one unless the price gets ridiculous. :(

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In a perfect world all you points make perfect sense. The problem is, while, as you point out, we have many much better players we need to re-sign in the future, for most of them we have reasonable backups. That's not the case in Barks case and coming up with three new starters, not to mention a credible group of backups, is a task that would be daunting for even the best front offices. It's tough to accomplish a herculean task without having, you know, a Hercules on hand. :LOL:

I think we might have to bite the bullet on this one unless the price gets ridiculous. :(

Merry Christmas Alan,

As old as you & I are by now we should know better than biting that darn bullet too many times due to the permanent damage it causes. We need to stay ahead of curve instead.:hellno:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Maybe he'll wake up before the game on Sunday...Guy is seriously playing himself outta town....maybe that's his plan.....

fearsomefour

Legend
I would resign him but only for a backup's salary. Maybe with incentives if he can perform at a starting player level.
I think someone is going to offer him a $5-6 million dollar a year contract to go somewhere else. The speed rush is what has given him trouble....there is a general big need for O line help across the league. It really becomes a reward/risk scenario. Can the Rams to not keep him given the situation across the rest of the line?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'd give Person or Barrett Jones a go there. Let him walk, save the cash and draft 2 guards and a center high in this draft (first 3 picks!). Let Jake Long go as well and Scott Wells and just rip this thing up and start from scratch with young talented players like Greg Robinson.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam thinking to win me over by using geometry:
Merry Christmas Alan,

As old as you & I are by now we should know better than biting that darn bullet too many times due to the permanent damage it causes. We need to stay ahead of curve instead.:hellno:
Merry Christmas to you too Bonifay!

As usual I have a couple things:

Due to that advanced age you noticed, I'm too slow to keep ahead of curves.

Now that I find myself behind the curves all the time I've become very enamored of this new viewing angle.