Bargain (maybe) Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Three guys the Rams might consider as low cost options;

Brandon Myers TE Oak;
He has had one good year and isent terribly explosive, but, was in the top 6 (if memory serves) in catches and yards for TEs and is a solid blocker. Either he or Cook would upgrade the play making at TE for our two TE sets. I think Myers would be more affordable than Cook and is a better blocker.

Laron Stephens-Howling RB AZ;
Good third down back and dangerous in the open field. His biggest bonus to the Rams would be his play as a kick returner. Getting Amendola off of kick returns should be a priority for the Rams. I dont think Howling will cost a lot and would fit that bill while improving depth at RB.

Johnny Knox WR Chicago;
He was out of football in 2012 with injuries and may not be able to come back, but, if he is healthy enough and his head is right he can be a play maker that is basically a minimum deal kind of guy. Take a flyer on him, low risk. Sort of like Steve Smith with hopefully more upside.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
fearsomefour said:
Three guys the Rams might consider as low cost options;

Brandon Myers TE Oak;
He has had one good year and isent terribly explosive, but, was in the top 6 (if memory serves) in catches and yards for TEs and is a solid blocker. Either he or Cook would upgrade the play making at TE for our two TE sets. I think Myers would be more affordable than Cook and is a better blocker.

Laron Stephens-Howling RB AZ;
Good third down back and dangerous in the open field. His biggest bonus to the Rams would be his play as a kick returner. Getting Amendola off of kick returns should be a priority for the Rams. I dont think Howling will cost a lot and would fit that bill while improving depth at RB.

Johnny Knox WR Chicago;
He was out of football in 2012 with injuries and may not be able to come back, but, if he is healthy enough and his head is right he can be a play maker that is basically a minimum deal kind of guy. Take a flyer on him, low risk. Sort of like Steve Smith with hopefully more upside.

Don't know enough about Meyers, but I doubt he's a fit for the Rams have a feeling they will draft a TE. I want nothing to do with Howling or Knox. Rams have two backs just like Howling in Pead & Richardson. And I have always felt Johnny Knox did not offer much and the durability factor alone would make me go in another direction.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How can you exclude Myers if you dont know anything about him?
He is consistantly open, has good hands and is a solid blocker.

I think Howling would have an advantage over Pead from day one....we know Howling can contribute. Pead has proven no such thing.

I dont disagree with Knox. Always sort of over rated in my opinion....even before his injury problems.
Just saying, if the Rams cant shake loose considerable space they will be bargain hunting.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
fearsomefour said:
How can you exclude Myers if you dont know anything about him?
He is consistantly open, has good hands and is a solid blocker.

Nothing against Myers (Raiders could end up keeping him), but IMO if Rams go free agent TE they go with Cook (Titans) or Keller (Jets) for obvious reasons I still look for them to draft a TE (Michael Williams Alabama). As to Howling IMO if the Rams add another RB it will be a bigger HB if they lose Jackson they have smaller type RB's in Pead & Richardson and I just don't think Howling would offer anything the Rams don't already have under contract.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
None of them would fit.

Howling would be better if we know how Pead will do, but we don't and Howling hasn't been a starting RB.

Knox would just add to the log jam and there's a low chance of his impact b/c of being out of football for a year thanks to a back injury.

Rather keep Kendricks than spend FA money on Myers/Cook. I think all 3 are similiar types of players.

fearsomefour

Legend
Adding Myers or Cook is not to replace Kendricks. Lance is the number 1 TE no doubt. To upgrade the two TE sets and add more depth would be the idea. I think Myers would be less expensive than Cook....thats the only reason I would prefer him over Cook.

…..

Legend
I think Meyers is the better reciever...I wouldnt mind having him. But I'm basing that on stat lines and the realization that he played for a terrible team with an inept offense. So any stats generated on that team gets a slight bonus of "well at least someone over there can catch" Cant comment on his blocking , cause i dont watch the Raiders. I'd rather stare at an old oak tree and wait for evidence of growth than watch the raiders.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have a couple of friends that are big Raider fans, so, I end up watching some games with them. He can catch for sure, isent a real burner, but, either is Health Miller or Whitten. His blocking seemed to be pretty solid from what I could tell. He didnt have the benefit of having a bunch of WRs that were drawing double teams either. I think Cook could draw more money based on his athleticism and potential....I like Myers. But, who know if TE is even a priority for the Rams. If they like the blocking they have at the TE depth spots they may not add anyone, or, perhaps they can get Keller on a deal because of his ties to our OC and his down year.