Banging The Table for DJ Moore

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Last year I was banging the table for Gerald Everett and I was pumped when we got him. I still think he has Jordan Reed upside as he develops. The coaches realized that and Higbee wasn't playing on third downs the back end of the year and the playoffs. If he gets a better grasp of the playbook and improves a blocker he should have a big second-year leap.

Anyways on to his year's obsession DJ Moore. I got to his tape late because I thought there was a real good chance the Rams could keep Sammy. I instantly regretted it about 30 seconds into his tape. If Harold Landry isn't there at 23 picking Moore is an easy call. Hell if the Rams thought they needed to and the price isn't too prohibitive I wouldn't mind a trade up. Moore has it all.

Production
Moore is only 21, but has been the big man on campus since he got to Maryland as a true fresham 4 star recruit. His number aren't gaudy outside of 2017 but his market share is crazy and shows how much offense he created on his own. Last year he accounted for 52% of Marylands receiving yards and 53% of their receiving touchdowns. He did this all with a rotation of abysmal QBs in a bad offense. He played with 4 different QBs last year in his best season and still dominated. Oh and he can also throw the ball on gadget plays (3-5 career passer), run the ball out of the backfield or on sweeps, and he is a dangerous returner. He will make you miss he forced 39 missed tackles on 146 career receptions. If you like the advanced metrics even though he was one of the most targetted WRs he was still 16th in yards per route.

Athleticism
Rams just lost Sammy Watkins one of the more athletic WRs in recent memory. Moore has identical size but is an even better athlete. Both are a sturdy 6'0 210 pounds with blazing identical 4.43 40 times. Quickness, once again they have 6.95 3 cone drill which is average. However, Moore has a well above average 4.07 20 yard shuttle while Watkins has a below average 4.34. Explosiveness? Moore's 39.5 vertical 90th percentile of all WRs Watkins 34' is in the 34th percentile. Watkins well above average in the 83rd percentile with a 126" broad and Moore is in the 96th percentile with 132". All of that accounts for a 137.4 Sparq score which places him in the 97.1 percentile of all NFL WRs. Size, speed, quickness, explosiveness. Elite.

Skillset and Fit
With Watkins leaving the Rams are missing an elite downfield threat with strong hands. Watkins primarily lined up as the split end, but also got snaps in the slot and in bunch formations. Watkins route tree was mainly slants, post, drags, hitches, and go routes. Moore had similar usage with some Tavon gadget stuff thrown in. As McVay would say Moore "can win on all 3 levels of the field." On the short level, he catches drags and screens and is one of the best after catch consistently gaining chunk gains on short passes. In the intermediate level he isn't afraid to go over the middle and for the most part, displays strong hands. He can sit in zones over the middle or generate an explosive burst out his cuts in deep outbreaking routes. Downfield you would like to see him win more contested jump ball situations, but he still has examples on tape where goes up and gets the ball while displaying outstanding body control to land in bounds. With his YAC ability, route running skill, and ability to win on all 3 levels he can be Sammy Watkins plus. Moore compliments the current group of weapons perfectly and would round out the most exciting young group of skill position players in the nfl with every player 25 or younger.

Tape & Highlights
(Feast Your Eyes)​

Bibliography (There is a alot of love for him)
http://www.draftsharks.com/article/dynasty-prospect-profile--d-j--moore
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/03/17/nfl-draft-profile-no-40-maryland-wr-d-j-moore/a2c3zie/
https://sports.yahoo.com/biggest-draft-movers-combine-monitor-fantasy-football-223540571.html
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/d.j.-moore?id=2560231
http://www.draftscout.com/members/ratings/tsx_profile.php?pyid=1003116

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather have Anthony Miller. He's one of two WRs in the history of Memphis to post a 1000+ yard receiving season (the other being Isaac Bruce). That's a nice bit of trivia, but I was much more impressed by him than the other WRs who appear likely to be available in the late-1st and early-2nd round. Like Cooper Kupp, I think he's a guy who can contribute as a rookie.

Odell Miller?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7YZDZ9_TM

Anyways, I'm distracting from your thread. D.J. Moore is a talented kid, but Miller popped more to me on tape.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I prefer Michael Gallup of CSU. He reminds me of a faster Woods.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Moore is a stud no doubt. Just cant get the warm and fuzzies for a WR pick in round 1.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I like all your guys suggestions lol. Moore, Miller, Gallup, and Chark are all good players and would take any of them on our team. Theres some nice value WRs in this draft after the 1st round. Chark seems like the best fit in the Watkins role because of his size and speed. He reminds me of Martavis Bryant w.o the issues. Of course WRs develop slow so like Jrry said Miller would likely contribute his rookie year over the rest because he just looks more polished.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd rather have Anthony Miller. He's one of two WRs in the history of Memphis to post a 1000+ yard receiving season (the other being Isaac Bruce). That's a nice bit of trivia, but I was much more impressed by him than the other WRs who appear likely to be available in the late-1st and early-2nd round. Like Cooper Kupp, I think he's a guy who can contribute as a rookie.

I like Miller, but I dont think he is the best fit in our current group of weapons. I think he can play some outside, but will probably do most of his damage in the slot and some flanker. Rams have Kupp, Woods, and Everett who will get heavy snaps in the slot and they are Rams for the foreseeable future. Miller doesn't have the downfield impact others do in this draft class. IMO that deep threat is the only missing piece in the weaponry group. Even though Miller is talented I think there is too much crossover in the rams current bunch of receivers. Part of the reason the passing game was so effective last year was everyone complimented each other. While I think Miller is a good player I think Moore compliments our current group more.

DJ Chark ... blazing speed (4.34 - 40), WR/PR, 6'3", 21.9 yard average per reception (2017), deep threat, SEC divisional competition, likely mid to late 2'nd round.

Like him as well, and he certainly fills that deep threat role the rams need. My main problem with him is he doesn't look natural catching the ball. Too many body catches even when he is elevating he lets the ball into his body instead of high pointing it. Certainly wouldn't be mad if the Rams drafted him, but he isn't a polished as Moore or Miller. He's got great upside, but so does Moore and he is ready now.

Moore is a stud no doubt. Just cant get the warm and fuzzies for a WR pick in round 1.

Definitely, understand that sentiment. IMO with the Suh addition barring an unexpected slip by a great player, the Rams will take an edge rusher or offensive weapon in the first round. ILB may provide the most value at 23, but it is clear the Rams think that is the least valued starting spot on the roster or at least they can adequately address that spot in a cheaper fashion.

One of my favorite McVayism, is "you can never have enough weapons." I think Snead will continue to be aggressive in the draft like he has in trades and there is a good chance the Rams dont pick at 23, especially if Harold Landry is off the board. That opens up other options with no obvious holes outside of OLB and WR. Watkins played nearly every snap. I think McVay will be all for adding another offensive wethers thats a TE or WR to replace alot of those snaps. I like Reynolds and I liked Higbee last year before they drafted Everett. Their presence isnt going to stop me from adding a top flight offensive talent at their position.

Whats the issues with St. Brown? He looks big and fast when I watch his stuff. Why is there no hype on him? 6'5 with good speed for his size? Does he drop alot of passes? Cant say I watched much of Notre Dame. Thoughts?

Had a down year last year after a big year the year before and people cooled on him. Huge downgrade in QB from Kaizer this year though. I like him he fast and really fluid for a guy his size. I think he doesnt get talked up here because most see him as a second round pick and the Rams don't have one;m

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miller doesn't have the downfield impact others do in this draft class. IMO that deep threat is the only missing piece in the weaponry group. Even though Miller is talented I think there is too much crossover in the rams current bunch of receivers. Part of the reason the passing game was so effective last year was everyone complimented each other. While I think Miller is a good player I think Moore compliments our current group more.

I gotta disagree with that, but I understand why you stand where you stand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am all for DJ Moore. He fits the Desean Jackson roll nicely.

Chark is another option.

I love how Moore plays. He is tough, breaks tackles, fights for the ball, and is fast.

lockdnram21

Legend
With them willing to trade our 1st for obj I don't think they think edge rusher is that nig ng of need so I think we could be in play at 23 if we don't trade for obj.... so it's either Clark or Riddley for me

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whats the issues with St. Brown? He looks big and fast when I watch his stuff. Why is there no hype on him? 6'5 with good speed for his size? Does he drop alot of passes? Cant say I watched much of Notre Dame. Thoughts?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8BNzcGBAF8

He'll be a steal in the later rounds. Last year sucked because he got hurt and had Brandon Wimbush at QB. Was hoping he'd stay one more year and actually didn't realize he declared for the draft...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Later in the draft, look for this name, Daurice Fountain!!!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Odell Miller?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7YZDZ9_TM

Anyways, I'm distracting from your thread. D.J. Moore is a talented kid, but Miller popped more to me on tape.

You know the best trivia question about Iisac Bruce ? Was where & with who he played college football with before Memphis ? He was recruited to play for Purdue university

Especially him being from Fort Lauderdale Florida .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Athleticism
Rams just lost Sammy Watkins one of the more athletic WRs in recent memory. Moore has identical size but is an even better athlete. Both are a sturdy 6'0 210 pounds with blazing identical 4.43 40 times. Quickness, once again they have 6.95 3 cone drill which is average. However, Moore has a well above average 4.07 20 yard shuttle while Watkins has a below average 4.34. Explosiveness? Moore's 39.5 vertical 90th percentile of all WRs Watkins 34' is in the 34th percentile. Watkins well above average in the 83rd percentile with a 126" broad and Moore is in the 96th percentile with 132". All of that accounts for a 137.4 Sparq score which places him in the 97.1 percentile of all NFL WRs. Size, speed, quickness, explosiveness. Elite.
This^^ convinced me to move him up to #1 on my list, Just ahead of D.J. Chark - LSU!! The SPARQ scoure, especially the 3 cone and shuttle scores did the Trick for me!!(y);):D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's been so many misses in recent years early on with teams trying to find difference makers at wideout early in the draft. Whoever they take, the focus is going to require route running excellence for this staff. Also and judging from last year's draft you can see the preference for guys who can get yards after the catch, so I think that will remain a focus for Les and his team in their draft board stacking as well. From there if the dude has a good SPARQ score so be it.

This WR group has some very nice fits for us, but the depth is the concern to my eye. So I don't know how things are going to break down other than that I figure we'll see reaches starting in round one as teams try to get the guys they want. I think there's only one slam-dunk round one receiver, but in this particular draft the early round two type is going to be considered a round one option basically.

All I care about at 23 is that we get an impact player. So if they do reach for a wideout he'd better be a fit and a guy who they know will have instant impact.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Anthony Miller is arguably the best WR in this class, I'd say he's a tad better than Moore. Plus we could get him later in the draft