Bam Bam Cunningham started the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm curious if this will be a permanent thing or not? Cunningham was starting ahead of Stacy. I think he's the best RB on the team, I hope he gets the chance to start in the regular season too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I hope they use both almost equally. The fresher those two are, the better.

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah I like the two headed monster as well and lets not forget Watts/Mason who also have looked pretty solid tonight against tougher competition then they previously faced.

Was going to start a thread, but I'll just put it in here instead.

I'm not a "lets read a hell of a lot into preseason stats" type of guy. But reading a lot into preseason stats
Stacy's stats: 15 carries, 39 yards, 2.6 ypc
Cunningham's stats: 15 carries, 80 yards, 5.3 ypc

Cunningham looked very good in his role last night, Stacy not so much.

Is there any chance that Cunningham could have worked his way into the number 1 back role?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Was going to start a thread, but I'll just put it in here instead.

I'm not a "lets read a hell of a lot into preseason stats" type of guy. But reading a lot into preseason stats
Stacy's stats: 15 carries, 39 yards, 2.6 ypc
Cunningham's stats: 15 carries, 80 yards, 5.3 ypc

Cunningham looked very good in his role last night, Stacy not so much.

Is there any chance that Cunningham could have worked his way into the number 1 back role?

That's the thing with stats this early, and in preseason. Be careful what you see in them.

Benny had two large runs; 19 and 21

The 21 yarder last night was wide open.

Take those away and his stats look strikingly similar to Stacy, 13 carries for 40yds, 3.0 ypc

Edit; the running game hasn't been very impressive this whole preseason, IMO

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Nice.

This extends into last year a bit too. Cunningham averaged 5.6 ypc vs Stacy at 3.9. One would argue that most of Cunningham's success was against the terrible Bears run D where he got 109 of his 256 yards or his 56 yard carry against Indy where he got another 56 yards on a single carry.

I'm starting to think that Cunningham has at least worked himself into a bunch more carries this year, and kept himsef above Tre Mason on the depth chart. That said, I think we'll still see plenty of Mason this year too.

Watts... I haven't noticed him on special teams. WIth the Pead injury, Watts can probably make the team on special teams and as RB #4.

Ram4life11

Rookie
That's the thing with stats this early, and in preseason. Be careful what you see in them.

Take those away and his stats look strikingly similar to Stacy, 13 carries for 40yds, 3.0 ypc

I'm starting to buy into the fact that Cunningham may be our home run for the long runs this year, by looking at the numbers he tends to break atleast 1 nice run per game. I can actually live with that... Of course I think Stacy is the starter week 1, I just wish he could make a couple more of those Cunningham runs this preseason to leave everyone without a doubt that he's the day 1 starter...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I saw a rotoworld blurb that quoted Fisher as saying something like "We know what Stacy can do and wanted to give Benny a chance with the ones". I can dig it.

So what you're saying is that if you take away Cunningham's good plays he looks mediocre? :whistle:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So what you're saying is that if you take away Cunningham's good plays he looks mediocre? :whistle:

:LOL:

I'm only saying last night Stacy gets that 21yd run too. I can't remember the 19yd run well enough to say the same.

xander47

Rookie
With the way they were throwing with Bradford in, I think they were testing out Cunningham as the 3rd down back. With pass protection. Might be the penalties sticking them back and forcing them to throw, but it was nice to see them going for the first down marker rather than checking down to Cunningham.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Benny had two large runs
Take those away and his stats look strikingly similar to Stacy

Take away those two big plays and. . . . Wait, that's what we used to say about our defense when they were bad!

But that aside, Benny has way more burst than Stacy, and he seems to be getting big plays more consistently.

fancents86

Starter
Considering what we have seen what watts can do, does anyone feel like the pick for Mason was unneccesary? I've always thought it was and was hoping to be proved wrong.

allrams

UDFA
Hamm esn't done it recently.
I'm curious if this will be a permanent thing or not? Cunningham was starting ahead of Stacy. I think he's the best RB on the team, I hope he gets the chance to start in the regular season too.
He had one ripped out of his hands the green bay game but bounced out of bounce.