Balzer's Rams Notebook: Injured Players from 2011 Practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
http://howardbalzer.lockerdome.com/articles/569409

Rams coach Jeff Fisher went a little Bill Belichick on the media Tuesday when he was asked after practice if any players were held out totally because they were returning from surgery.

Fisher laughed and said, “You know, I’ll have an injury report for you on September 5.”

However, Fisher did reveal that defensive end William Hayes, recently signed as a free agent, had an offseason shoulder “procedure” and added, “He’s not quite 100 percent, but he will be there very quickly.” Hayes said he had issues with his labrum and rotator cuff but claimed not to be limited at all.

Fisher also said when asked about tackle Jason Smith, “He’s good. He’s been here, he’s been working. He’s been working very well inside and his condition level is excellent. We’re excited about a new start for him.”

The Rams listed 60 players on the minicamp roster, and 13 (including free-agent wide receiver Steve Smith who was with the Eagles) ended the 2011 season on injured reserve. Wide receiver Austin Pettis, who ended the 2011 season on the suspended list for violating the league policy on performance enhancing drugs, practiced. Pettis still has two games to serve of that suspension at the beginning of the season.

Some of the injured players didn’t do significant work in the 75-minute practice, but all were there: wide receivers Danny Amendola and Greg Salas, tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, tackles Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold, fullback Brit Miller, cornerbacks Bradley Fletcher, Jerome Murphy, Brian Jackson and Marquis Johnson, defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo and linebacker Josh Hull.

Quarterback Sam Bradford said he totally rested his injured ankle for two months after the 2011 season ended.

Said Bradford, “I went to a doctor literally two days after the season ended and he told me not to do anything really until March 1. That’s when I got back here, so I kind of shut it down for six or more weeks after the season and then got back in the training room with (trainer) Reggie (Scott), and I would say it felt 10 times better then and it’s only gotten stronger since I’ve been here working with Reg.”

One of the things that excites Bradford the most is having a quarterbacks coach again this season. In his rookie year, Dick Curl was the quarterbacks coach, but he retired when Josh McDaniels was hired as the offensive coordinator. McDaniels doubled as the quarterbacks coach. Fisher has hired Frank Cignetti to fill that role this year.

“I like that,” Bradford said. “I’m glad that we have a quarterbacks coach now. Obviously with Josh trying to do both last year, I think it was just a lot for him to handle. I think sometimes some of the little things such as drops, footwork, throwing mechanics kind of got put aside as opposed to putting reads and everything in front.

“I’m really happy that we hired a quarterback coach this year. I think it’s going to be great for my development. I think coach Cignetti is a great guy, too, and can’t wait to work with him.”

While Bradford is learning his third offense in as many NFL seasons, he said there is some similarity to the offense Pat Shurmur coached in Bradford’s rookie year.

“I like the offense that we’re running this year,” Bradford said. “It’s more similar to two years ago than to last year. There is some carry-over, so I am somewhat familiar with it, trying to learn it again.”

Safety Darian Stewart was the only player not practicing because he was taking an exam at school, but it was hoped Stewart would be there Wednesday. Stewart is an unsigned exclusive-rights free agent (ERFA) that hasn’t signed his tender yet.

Players tendered and unsigned are permitted to participate in offseason workouts but usually sign injury waivers. Amendola is an unsigned restricted free agent, while wide receiver Dominique Curry, guard Bryan Mattison and defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo have yet to sign their ERFA tenders.