Balzer: Stop. Please. My head is starting to hurt.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... -Bradford/

[wrapimg=left]http://www.101espn.com/images/authors/medium/hbalzer.jpg[/wrapimg]Stop. Please. My head is starting to hurt. Can’t everyone just calm down?

There are 57 days until the first day of the NFL draft, and yet heads are already exploding with talk of what the Rams can expect to receive in a trade for the second pick in the draft.

Remember those breathless statements near the end of the season that the Rams would be able to garner as many as three or four first-round picks? Haven’t heard much of that talk lately, have we?

The fact is, there is the matter of free agency that begins March 13, and what happens there might seriously affect whatever teams the Rams could be talking to.

Of course, those teams have to decide whether it makes more sense to pay big money for a veteran or invest in a rookie that will have a less expensive contract. More on that later

From the Rams’ standpoint, they need multiple teams bidding to drive up the price, but they also have to figure out how far they are willing to trade down.

Still, an ever worse part of this seemingly never-ending process will be hearing the persistent chatter that the Rams should trade Sam Bradford and select Robert Griffin III for themselves.

The reality is that it wouldn’t make sense on several levels, and most of those that advocate for it are oblivious to the financial ramifications.

First, let’s deal with the football aspect of it. Griffin is expected to be an astounding talent, as is Andrew Luck. There is no debating that. But if Griffin is so head and shoulders above Bradford, why isn’t it being said that the Colts should take him instead of Luck?

Maybe they should. Maybe there are teams that would select Griffin ahead of Luck if they had the opportunity. It’s very close. But if Bradford was in this draft, he would be right there with Luck and Griffin.

So, then, why should the Rams trade Bradford when the draft-choice compensation package for him would be likely significantly less than what they can get for the second overall pick.

I know what you’re thinking. If I believe Griffin is worth more in draft picks, that means he’s much better than Bradford. Not necessarily. This is where finances enter the picture, along with the draft mindset that exists where teams highly value draft choices not yet made. Of course, it’s that same mindset that has fans and media so enamored with Griffin.

Consider that the system which now is expected to make it attractive for teams to trade into the top of the draft is also why teams wouldn’t want to trade for Bradford and take on the remaining years of his contract.

The Rams have already invested slightly more than $30 million in Bradford, and he has shown he is capable of playing at a high level. Luck and Griffin have yet to play an NFL snap.

More important, a team trading for Bradford would be taking on $48 million in salary over the next four years, including $12 million in 2012.

Compare that to what the second pick in the draft will receive. While those figures aren’t known exactly yet, they will be fairly close to what they were in 2011.

Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller’s four-year contract was worth $21 million and included a $13.773 million signing bonus. His salary-cap charge last year was $3.818 million and will increase by about $955,000 in each of the next three seasons.

What will be most intriguing is whether teams looking for quarterbacks will determine it doesn’t makes sense to invest huge dollars in an inexperienced free agent (see Kevin Kolb) when they can than take on a reasonable rookie contract, especially one later in the draft when the dollars decrease as each draft pick is made.

The total value of Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton’s contract as a second-round pick in 2011 is $5.214 million. He received a signing bonus of $2.292 million and the cap charges for the four years of his deal are $948,000; $1.185 million, $1.322 million and $1.559 million.

Once again, the probable reality is that contracts do affect the trade package. And teams will be more likely to give a lot for a draft pick as opposed to an expensive veteran.

Finally, from the Rams’ perspective, Bradford counts $15.595 million against the cap in 2012. If traded, the dead money for him against the cap would be $14.4 million. Add to that the cap charge for the second pick in the draft for a total of at least $18.2 million, $2.6 million more than Bradford’s cap charge on the roster.

We know the Rams have gone on record that they won’t be trading Bradford. The facts show they are making the right decision.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Still, an ever worse part of this seemingly never-ending process will be hearing the persistent chatter that the Rams should trade Sam Bradford and select Robert Griffin III for themselves.

The only thing that frustrates me is people pointing out durability concerns for Bradford when debating this. I was under the impression that the concern was always the shoulder, and thats it. That hasnt been an issue for him.

He was 1 of 2 QBs to play every snap in 2010. He sustained a high ankle sprain in week 6 of the 2011 season and it bothered him the rest of the season. I still have zero concerns about his durability.

I think RGIII is going to be a damn good player but im committed to Bradford. His development hasnt gone nearly as well as we hoped it could but I still have plenty of faith in him. Development, a lot of people seem to not like that word nowadays, especially when it comes to early draft picks, the expectations to provide instant results keep going up.