Balzer: Rams Rookie O-Linemen: "Refrigerators with Legs"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anyone have any theories? Was it likely just money? Is Dallas his childhood team?
Not childhood home just close, think he's from Louisiana...Plus no state tax....Plus Free only has 2 more years at RT....Plus he'll probably beat out the LG...Plus Dallas is close to the Super Bowl...Plus Jerry works magic with young men...Plus....I don't know...but I'd assume going to a good OL is better than going to a weak OL....

SierraRam

Recreational User
The NFL said they weren't going to let Collins re-enter. Should have used a seventh on him. I had him right up there with Scherff as far as OGs go in the draft. To know we could have easily landed Cann, Clemings, and Collins sort of has me bummed.

Fro, In the ROD mock draft we had a few weeks ago, I was scouting OL's for KC and I definitely share your concern. All I can say is if you go by Walter Mock, CBS Sports, ESPN and our own 'expert' GM's in our mock draft, then we all should be BUMMED right now. Our OL picks completely caught me by surprise. I know, I know, Fisher and Snead got exactly who they wanted, and they know infinitely more than I ever will... At least I hope so. We could have had some of the highest regarded OL's in the draft. Time will tell, and I'll happily eat these words at mid-season if we're pile driving opponents.

Cann - Clemmings or Haverstein - Brown /// I'll be watching

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I don't think there is any way that Collins could have afforded to sit out the entire season. I think this was a case of collusion with a capital C. Not one team in the NFL was willing to spend a 7th round pick on a top 5 O Lineman?

He easily could have afforded it, all he would need to do is look at Fowler in Jacksonville, look at his $61k guaranteed money and it's one of the easiest decisions anyone could ever make. Compare that to the $1.65m guaranteed he gets for going undrafted, if it was collusion then he benefited greatly from it.

The NFL said they weren't going to let Collins re-enter. Should have used a seventh on him. I had him right up there with Scherff as far as OGs go in the draft. To know we could have easily landed Cann, Clemings, and Collins sort of has me bummed.

I'm not sure the NFL would have a choice, it's written in the CBA that he can do just that.

We could have come away with the guys you wanted, instead we came away with the guys Fisher and Snead wanted, if that has you bummed shouldn't you be staunchly opposed to the Fisher regime in general? (maybe you are)

FRO

Legend
I know people get mad at me for being negative, and I hope I'm not coming off as a troll on the Ramstalk board, but I'm just not sure that Havenstein is an upgrade at RT. We had a guy in Barksdale who was good against the run and a bit shaky in pass protection. I felt our major weakness was inside. Wells and Joseph couldn't get any push. When it's all said and done Havenstein may not be as good as Barksdale and if he reaches his potential I'm not sure his ceiling isn't better than Joe's. That's why I was bummed out after the Gurley pick. I have a feeling we have Coach Bou the keys after the first round, which is reminiscent of the 2011 draft giving McDaniels the keys. I hope we didn't pass on Randall Cobb and Torrey Smith to get Lance Kendricks again. To me passing guys like Cann, Clemmings, and Collins hurts.

And for the record I know everybody at Rams Park has forgotten more football than I'll ever know, but that doesn't make them right. I hope that I'm dead wrong however and that we have a great young line next year and for many years to come. I have no clue what I'll do if we have a good offensive line. I'm so conditioned to thinking our line sucks.

FRO

Legend
He easily could have afforded it, all he would need to do is look at Fowler in Jacksonville, look at his $61k guaranteed money and it's one of the easiest decisions anyone could ever make. Compare that to the $1.65m guaranteed he gets for going undrafted, if it was collusion then he benefited greatly from it.

I'm not sure the NFL would have a choice, it's written in the CBA that he can do just that.

We could have come away with the guys you wanted, instead we came away with the guys Fisher and Snead wanted, if that has you bummed shouldn't you be staunchly opposed to the Fisher regime in general? (maybe you are)
I am firmly on board the Fisher/Snead bandwagon. My only gripe was the fact they have for most part neglected the offensive line until this year. Yeah we signed guys, but with all those draft picks we had I wish we would have young developed guys ready to go. I also wasn't a fan of trading Bradford, but I totally understand the move and they got a good trade for him. Other than that it's hard to not like the Fisher/Snead regime.

Limey

Rookie
I know people get mad at me for being negative, and I hope I'm not coming off as a troll on the Ramstalk board, but I'm just not sure that Havenstein is an upgrade at RT. We had a guy in Barksdale who was good against the run and a bit shaky in pass protection. I felt our major weakness was inside. Wells and Joseph couldn't get any push. When it's all said and done Havenstein may not be as good as Barksdale and if he reaches his potential I'm not sure his ceiling isn't better than Joe's. That's why I was bummed out after the Gurley pick. I have a feeling we have Coach Bou the keys after the first round, which is reminiscent of the 2011 draft giving McDaniels the keys. I hope we didn't pass on Randall Cobb and Torrey Smith to get Lance Kendricks again. To me passing guys like Cann, Clemmings, and Collins hurts.

You are entitled to your opinion, and the nice thing about this board versus the other one you mentioned is that here people generally respect different opinions. I was high on Clemmings before the draft, but read that he really did have a shocker at the Senior Bowl, and that coaches were concerned that he wasn't learning there. The foot injury didn't help, either, but given how far he fell, we obviously we're not the only team with concerns about him.

I knew very little about any of the OL we drafted before we took them, but have been impressed by what I have seen and read since. I know Havenstein wasn't required to pass protect much, but his low number of penalties is impressive. Compared to Barksdale, my view is that he has more upside as JB has had plenty of opportunities to improve his pass protection and has shown that he can't do it very well, while Havenstein could still improve that. I like the speed of Brown and Wichmann, and think Donnal could be a good all round OLer with a bit more strength conditioning. His feet looked pretty good to me. Given the o lines that coach Boo has built before from inferior pieces to these, I am really optimistic that this young, huge o line could be really good.

lockdnram21

Legend
I am firmly on board the Fisher/Snead bandwagon. My only gripe was the fact they have for most part neglected the offensive line until this year. Yeah we signed guys, but with all those draft picks we had I wish we would have young developed guys ready to go. I also wasn't a fan of trading Bradford, but I totally understand the move and they got a good trade for him. Other than that it's hard to not like the Fisher/Snead regime.
So u would have took another chance on Bradford? I understand u like the guy but at some point u have to try something different. He was staying healthy here and really hasnt proven anything. especially since he didnt want to take a pay cut

FRO

Legend
You are entitled to your opinion, and the nice thing about this board versus the other one you mentioned is that here people generally respect different opinions. I was high on Clemmings before the draft, but read that he really did have a shocker at the Senior Bowl, and that coaches were concerned that he wasn't learning there. The foot injury didn't help, either, but given how far he fell, we obviously we're not the only team with concerns about him.

I knew very little about any of the OL we drafted before we took them, but have been impressed by what I have seen and read since. I know Havenstein wasn't required to pass protect much, but his low number of penalties is impressive. Compared to Barksdale, my view is that he has more upside as JB has had plenty of opportunities to improve his pass protection and has shown that he can't do it very well, while Havenstein could still improve that. I like the speed of Brown and Wichmann, and think Donnal could be a good all round OLer with a bit more strength conditioning. His feet looked pretty good to me. Given the o lines that coach Boo has built before from inferior pieces to these, I am really optimistic that this young, huge o line could be really good.
As for the senior bowl, Pead was the MVP. Clemmings is raw. He may not be ready to start in 2015, but you don't draft for the next season. Clemmings had a huge upside and could eventually be a very good LT in the league. I would have brought Barksdale back and drafted Clemmings and developed him.

FRO

Legend
So u would have took another chance on Bradford? I understand u like the guy but at some point u have to try something different. He was staying healthy here and really hasnt proven anything. especially since he didnt want to take a pay cut
I don't want to hijack this thread with Bradford talk, but yes I would have rolled the dice on him again and went after Ryan Fitzpatrick as backup and drafted Garrett Grayson in the third. There is a reason the eagles were willing to give up so much for him, the browns were willing to give up a first, and the bills willing to give up a lot for him. But again I don't want to hijack the thread.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Anyone have any theories? Was it likely just money? Is Dallas his childhood team?
Jerry took him and his mother to his giant mansion and fed them dinner along with the rest of the Cowboys o-line and Romo.

He laid it all out with the ultimate sales pitch and got his man.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
we obviously we're not the only team with concerns about him.
Clemmings looked terrible at the senior bowl...in one on ones...the injury just sealed the deal for most teams. I've heard he may need a plate inserted into his foot...Plus, all these guys are 4-5 year players...
and I'd bet they all scored great on the wonderlic....remember @Hammer talking about IQ's and OL the other week?

Limey

Rookie
As for the senior bowl, Pead was the MVP. Clemmings is raw. He may not be ready to start in 2015, but you don't draft for the next season. Clemmings had a huge upside and could eventually be a very good LT in the league. I would have brought Barksdale back and drafted Clemmings and developed him.
We already have our raw LT with a huge upside, we also already have an excellent college OL with a foot problem who hasn't been able to contribute much yet due to injury. You may be right in the long term with Clemmings, and I might still have taken him in round 3 or 4, but now I know more about the guys we did take I wouldn't swap. I would have liked Collins, but the Cowboys showed this off season that they are prepared to take more risks with players with PR issues than the rest of the league. Presumably, if he had done it he would have gone to the Patriots ;).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I thought Dallas was a peculiar choice for Collins to go to. Their offensive line is pretty much set and he may not play this season. One poster said that sitting will keep him from getting injured until he is ready to get a better deal. But then who will want to give him a big contract if he sat on the bench for the next 2-3 years?

I would have thought he would want to go to an up and coming team like the Rams or Raiders/Jacksonville, or just go to a current playoff team that is likely to have him start from day 1, so he can showcase his abilities.

It may be that the Cowboys are going to use him or someone else as trade bait. If they get a 2nd for a street FA that's a nice move.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I could see them maybe trying to move RT Doug Free of they think Collins can man the spot.

But that might not happen until TC opens and they really get to see Collins work.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
We already have our raw LT with a huge upside, we also already have an excellent college OL with a foot problem who hasn't been able to contribute much yet due to injury.

This is exactly why I never was on board with the "draft TJ Clemmings honks" (yes, yes I know some wanted him to start out inside)

Clearly the Rams were looking for O Lineman with multiple years starting within a certain system...not "projects"

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
This screenshot confirms the "refrigerators with legs" theory:
Untitled 561.jpg

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It may be that the Cowboys are going to use him or someone else as trade bait. If they get a 2nd for a street FA that's a nice move.

Or, anybody in the league could have spent a second on him in the first place. That trade idea makes no sense. He would have signed if drafted in the first three rounds. His threat was that he wouldn't sign after that. I don't see the logic in skipping him the entire draft, then giving up a second round pick for him afterwards. Unless if course you mean he plays a year with the cowgirls and then they trade him before he's due an extension. In that case, I can see your trade logic.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Clemmings had a horrendous Senior Bowl and he's injured too. Barksdale struggled last year. This is the way I look at it, if Barksdale was that good, he'd be with somebody else by now and if Clemmings had so much upside, he would've been drafted earlier.

I get it Havenstein does not look good in the gym, but watch some Badger games and BTW not one holding call on him last season, not one! So I understand that you feel the Rams should have gone in a different direction, but let's look at the whole body of work of Havenstein and BTW again Havenstein impressed many scouts at the Senior Bowl unlike Clemmings.

Analyst Mike Mayock said during the NFL Network's coverage of Senior Bowl practices Thursday that going into the week, he had Clemmings as a potential top-10 sleeper pick. That's not the case anymore for Mayock.

"I think he's got a lot of talent, but he's so darned raw," Mayock said. "He's struggled all week in practice."

Clemmings has played just two seasons on the offensive line and both were at right tackle; still, there was a thought he could play left tackle. Mayock did say Clemmings' issues were "technique-related," and that those are correctable. Remember that Clemmings never has played left tackle, and getting your first reps at left tackle at the Senior Bowlcan be daunting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...clemmings-losing-buzz-as-potential-top10-pick