Balzer: Rams Rookie O-Linemen: "Refrigerators with Legs"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721

Some inside building at Rams Park have described the drafted offensive linemen as "refrigerators with legs."

======

Howard Balzer @HBalzer721

Noting that Jaguars DE Dante Fowler Jr. was injured in 11-on-11, full-speed pass-rush drill, Jeff Fisher said, .."Our philosophy is not to put them in that position for a couple weeks."

Sixth-round WR Bud Sasser still not practicing because of an issue with his physical. Rams say going through some additional testing.

Sasser claims he doesn't know what is the issue: "I have no idea. I'm not sure what's wrong."

Rams UDFA DT Louis Trinca-Pasaty received $25,000 guaranteed: $15,000 bonus and $10,000 guaranteed salary.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said team was "involved" in talks with OL La'el Collins and said they were told "we were in the final four."

Fisher said they "still had some unanswered questions," but probably would have been more involved had they not had success in the draft.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you spend the 7th on Collins, he can refuse to sign and re-enter the draft in 2016. If he goes undrafted, he cannot and must sign with someone.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
If you spend the 7th on Collins, he can refuse to sign and re-enter the draft in 2016. If he goes undrafted, he cannot and must sign with someone.

I don't think there is any way that Collins could have afforded to sit out the entire season. I think this was a case of collusion with a capital C. Not one team in the NFL was willing to spend a 7th round pick on a top 5 O Lineman?

iced

I don't think there is any way that Collins could have afforded to sit out the entire season. I think this was a case of collusion with a capital C. Not one team in the NFL was willing to spend a 7th round pick on a top 5 O Lineman?

Without having their questions answers and being linked to a murder, yes.. And yes he could easily afford it and other players have done it in the future - that's why he wanted to go UDFA. Yes its cheaper, but not as bad as day 3 players.

Most importantly, he only has a 3 year contract. He can sign for whatever he wants while we'll be thinking about picking up Aaron Donald's option

FRO

Legend
The NFL said they weren't going to let Collins re-enter. Should have used a seventh on him. I had him right up there with Scherff as far as OGs go in the draft. To know we could have easily landed Cann, Clemings, and Collins sort of has me bummed.

FRO

Legend
Also I think it was foolish to pick the Cowboys over us. He would have a much easier road to start here. There is no doubt in my mind he is a better RT than Havenstein and a better OG than the other guys we drafted. Dallas has the best offensive line in the league.

Memphis Ram

Legend
To clear things up on Collins.

An undrafted FA cannot re-enter the draft, but can re-do his contract after only two seasons.

A drafted player can re-enter the draft if he doesn't sign and cannot re-do his contact after two seasons.

This is why Collins agent can say if he's not selected in the first three rounds, not to select him, as it would cost him money. He'd make more money re-entering the draft. As for living expenses, these kids can still get loans. Probably even from a former teammate already in the league or a booster.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Our refrigerators will punch you in the mouth and not get a penalty called on them. We will have your defense on its heals by the end of 3RD quarter while our "D" will be rested to BRING IT! in the 4TH quarter. We will be VERY deep and healthy in this year of RESTORATION to make up for the last decade of shuffleing players around weekly. Get em ready for week one OL coaches as we have Foles upright into the PLAYOFFS. Once "IN" anything can happen. Lookin for our two West Virginia guys to have the NFL slow down for them and start lookin like they did the year before we drafted them. Our secret weapon will be a guy who had 25 TD's the year before we drafted him. He's finally gonna play in every position we have for the WR's . Just wait guys.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Also I think it was foolish to pick the Cowboys over us. He would have a much easier road to start here. There is no doubt in my mind he is a better RT than Havenstein and a better OG than the other guys we drafted. Dallas has the best offensive line in the league.

I have plenty of doubts. I think he's an NFL guard.

FRO

Legend
I have plenty of doubts. I think he's an NFL guard.
I think he is a OG as well. I also think he can man RT. I would have liked the Havenstein pick more had he been 6'6" and able to play OG. I worry about his ability to handle speed rushers on the edge. I'm not sure he is a huge upgrade, if one at all over Barksdale.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've turned the page on Collins.

Fisher likes who we have. They came to us without the silliness that surrounds Collins.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think he is a OG as well. I also think he can man RT. I would have liked the Havenstein pick more had he been 6'6" and able to play OG. I worry about his ability to handle speed rushers on the edge. I'm not sure he is a huge upgrade, if one at all over Barksdale.

That wouldn't be anything new for most RTs around the league. That's why they are RTs and not LTs.

D.J. Fluker, Doug Free, Andre Smith, Anthony Davis, Phil Loadholt, etc..

If Martz were the OC I wouldn't want Havenstein, Barksdale, or any of the above mentioned guys at RT. But, in an offense that plans to run the ball and get the ball out quick, these guys are perfect fits, IMO.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

This time I really believe with a one position guy Fisher normally passes on as in Cann as a pure OG like Laken Tomlinson who I also loved and even the centers we passed on due to them being one trick guys where with exception of Havenstein all our other picks have other positions or at least CAN play them . I see Havenstein as a need meets position hole player . What you normally try not to match as I liked the Penn State OT at pick 34 better than Havenstein who played his whole Senior season overweight and lost most of that bellyfat he played with before he showed up at the combine, as did Havenstein had a major weightloss.Fisher tried to trade up to the top of the round and we could'nt.

I believe with practice against Qinn, Donald and Long Havenstein will have seen the best besides the 3-4 OLB's that the Chiefs have one special one that ate Barks lunch for 3 sacks. Havenstein will begin working on a Pro Game bend and to my eyes working on his hand and arm muscleing up and hand usage. I think this kid wants it bad and money won't change him. He's gonna be a true technician as we can already see he is still hungry and does'nt feel like he has arrived. No gold shoes and ready to put the real work in as it took some work to lose 90lbs already and muscle up,just not the pro way YET. GIVE HIM TIME please. I played 8 years at only ORT and I think we got THE right guy for our NEED and Donnal with a year will make a great backup ORT. Wichmans gonna be a real steal as others think Brown is the steal and think he will be our ORT. Its time it goes our way . Wish we had gone this route earlier and we still need JL's replacement along with C. Longs. Maybe even a CB if both CB's are'nt worth resigning one of them after this season. Now I'm just nitpicking. We finally have a loaded team with skills and talent. Just need an injury free year like we had in "99".

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Most importantly, he only has a 3 year contract. He can sign for whatever he wants while we'll be thinking about picking up Aaron Donald's option
What the heck does picking up Donald's contract have anything to do with Collins?

iced

What the heck does picking up Donald's contract have anything to do with Collins?

illustrating the point of going undrafted and the time difference in contracts

That's the reason he didn't want to be drafted on day 3 - he wants to make that money

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We finally have a loaded team with skills and talent. Just need an injury free year like we had in "99".

Injury Free??? the last three season in the OL!

2014 OL UNhealhy & injuries to the OL alone:
#1-{Starter} Scott Wells- near death illness/Hospital period & dislocated elbow.
#2-{Top Reserve center} Tim Barnes early Neck & mid season shoulder injuries.
#3-{Interior Reserve} Barrett Jones- back injury & surgery.
#4-{Interior Reserve } Demetrius Rhaney- Knee IR'd.
#5-{Starter} Jake Long -ACL injury & surgery IR'd/
#6-{Starter}Rodger Saffold- Severely damaged shoulder off season surgery
#7-{Starter}Greg Robinson-injured toe-off season surgery

2013 OL UNhealhy & injuries to the OL alone:
#1-{Starter} Rodger Saffold- Missed close to half the seasons worth of starts-knee out for over a month/ Shoulder/Concussion.
#2-{Starter} Scott Wells-thigh/then broken leg IR'd
#3-{Starter}Jake Long-Foot/concussion/ACI/MCI IR'd
#4-{Starter}Harvey Dahl Knee/ankle IR'd
#5-{Starter}Chris Williams-foot/concussion

2012 OL injuries & missed games:
#1-{Reserve OG} missed 15 games IR'd.
#2-{Starter} OLT missed 6 1/2 games
#3-{Starter} OC missed 9 3/4 games IR'd
#4-{Starter} ORG missed 2 1/2 games IR'd
#5-{swing OT} Wayne Hunter missed 5 1/2 games

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Dallas was a peculiar choice for Collins to go to. Their offensive line is pretty much set and he may not play this season. One poster said that sitting will keep him from getting injured until he is ready to get a better deal. But then who will want to give him a big contract if he sat on the bench for the next 2-3 years?

I would have thought he would want to go to an up and coming team like the Rams or Raiders/Jacksonville, or just go to a current playoff team that is likely to have him start from day 1, so he can showcase his abilities.

Anyone have any theories? Was it likely just money? Is Dallas his childhood team?