Balzer on Rob Ryan & the Cowboys Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
he should get a hair cut.

HOWARD: That will sure help the defense.

People should know that Rob Ryan's nephew had cancer when he was 14, and Rob grew his hair out to give it to Locks for Love, which gives hairpieces for those that need them. He was so impressed by the organization that he now cuts his hair in the offseason to donate it, then grows it out so he can do it each year.

I can only place my faith in Fisher that he knows what he is doing. This smells so much like Larry Marmie it's scary.

HOWARD: Don't know how anyone could compare this to Larry Marmie. How many years was Marmie a coordinator when he was hired?

One note for all that love to base evaluation on what I believe is a superficial stat like overall yards. It's superficial because it is not looked at it perspective. For example, the Cowboys ranked 19th in defense last season (they were 5th after eight games when the injuries started hitting). The Rams were 14th and allowed 12 yards a game less than the Cowboys. The Cardinals, considered to have a pretty good defense, were 12th, and they allowed 18 yards a game less than the Cowboys.

Yardage is not a "superficial" stat unless someone is trying to manipulate facts to back their arguments. The fact is that Ryan's defenses have consistently finished in the bottom 3rd statistically. It's not an aberration when something happens on a consistent basis.

HOWARD: And, of course, it has nothing to do with personnel or how good the team is. Not sure how you can say the Rams defense "did well" when they allowed a whopping 12 yards a game less than Dallas.

By the way, Atlanta, New England and Baltimore had defenses that ranked in the 20s this past season. That's why using one number (yards) to judge a defense is superficial.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
zn said:
HOWARD:
By the way, Atlanta, New England and Baltimore had defenses that ranked in the 20s this past season. That's why using one number (yards) to judge a defense is superficial.

And this statement I have an issue with. Atlanta & New England proved their defenses were paper tigers...Bend but don't break defenses break in post season. And the Ravens did have many injuries that led to their ranking where they did including their leader Ray Lewis.

Overall IMO I like the hire of Ryan and he's not Larry Marmie that is obvious. Ryan is now working with the likes of Jeff Fisher & Dave McGinnis who will make him better. In the end this hire will make or break Rob Ryan and IMO it will make him as I foresee a great defense coming to the Gateway City.

But Howard should stick with the injury route comparison because nobody is going to confuse the Falcons or Patriots defenses of 2012 of being good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
den-the-coach said:
zn said:
HOWARD:

And this statement I have an issue with. Atlanta & New England proved their defenses were paper tigers...Bend but don't break defenses break in post season. And the Ravens did have many injuries that led to their ranking where they did including their leader Ray Lewis.

Overall IMO I like the hire of Ryan and he's not Larry Marmie that is obvious. Ryan is now working with the likes of Jeff Fisher & Dave McGinnis who will make him better. In the end this hire will make or break Rob Ryan and IMO it will make him as I foresee a great defense coming to the Gateway City.

But Howard should stick with the injury route comparison because nobody is going to confuse the Falcons or Patriots defenses of 2012 of being good.
Yeah, I don't think he's saying Baltimore or NE had good defenses. I think he's just saying that judging defenses by yards allowed (only) is a superficial way of basing an evaluation. Which is why someone shouldn't say they (NE & Balt) have bad defenses based simply on that stat alone. Nor should they judge Dallas' defense on that stat alone.

Memphis Ram

Legend
When judging defenses, I prefer using points against over yards against.

That said, there's just too much experience on that side of the ball for this to mess up, IMO.

From what I understand, unlike Ryan's previous stops, he's not being handed the Rams by an offensive minded head coach with little clue about defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
When judging defenses, I prefer using points against over yards against.
Yup. Absolutely.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memphis Ram said:
From what I understand, unlike Ryan's previous stops, he's not being handed the Rams by an offensive minded head coach with little clue about defense.

That's a good point.

Regardless of what Ryan wants to do or tries to do, his boss knows defense and will have boundaries in place to ensure this defense continues to thrive.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Ryan also can take in consideration that he will not have a crazy owner trying to run every aspect of the team. Fisher is in control not a loco like Jerrah Jones.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Memphis Ram said:

That's a good point.

Regardless of what Ryan wants to do or tries to do, his boss knows defense and will have boundaries in place to ensure this defense continues to thrive.
This and they know each other extremely well
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
GreeneCounty said:
Fisher is in control not a loco like Jerrah Jones.

Can you imagine? THAT had to be a marriage made in hell.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I miss Marmie ...

Not the coach,,, the poster. I haven't seen him post in a long time. The guy cracks me up,,, very clever.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
I miss Marmie ...

Not the coach,,, the poster. I haven't seen him post in a long time. The guy cracks me up,,, very clever.
Yeah, I wonder how that dude's doing. Last I spoke to him, he had real bad back issues or something.
Now THAT dude knew how to troll. Very clever, and he never really went out of his way to insult anyone.