Balzer notebook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://howardbalzer.lockerdome.com/articles/99238376

There were 31 players on the field Thursday afternoon for the second of three rookie practices before the veterans report Saturday and the first full-squad practice Sunday. The 31 included tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, who said part of his rehab plan from last season’s knee injury was to participate with the rookies.

Hoomanawanui was officially cleared by Dr. Matt Matava Tuesday, but Hoomanawanui said, “I cleared myself a couple weeks ago.”

In addition to his rehab, Hoomanawanui hired a personal trainer and used Metabolic Meals for his diet.

“I wanted no excuses when I got to camp,” he said. “This offseason I took it to another level.” He lowered his weight to 262 and his body fat from 14 to 10.

Injuries have been a way of life in his first two seasons, but Hoomanawanui said, “I can’t worry about that. I have to just go out and play and leave everything else in the Big Man’s hands.”

Watkins Out of Shape: Guard Rokevious Watkins isn’t off to a good start in training camp. Expected to be in the competition for the starting left guard job, Watkins hasn’t practiced the first two days because of being overweight and out of condition. Thursday, he was inside during practice, but came out for the conditioning drills before and after practice.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Watkins had “a little setback from the time he left to coming back.”

Jenkins Speaks: Cornerback Janoris Jenkins insisted Thursday he was never concerned about contract talks with the team. Asked several ways about the negotiations and stories about problems with the talks, Jenkins answered the same way, saying, “I wasn’t worried about the contract. My main focus is to play football,” and “I wasn’t worrying about the business side.”

Asked about things said and written about issues in his past, Jenkins said, “I block that out and use it as motivation. People are going to say what they’re going to say.”

Roster at 88: Following the release of rookie guard Michael Hay and cornerback Jeremy Caldwell, the team’s roster is at 88, two under the training camp limit of 90.