Balzer Interview on most likely GSOT Ram to get into HOF in 2015 from insidestl.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
If this has been posted, then my humblest apologies. You'll have to FF or listen a bit to Frank's ranting before the H-man comes on but worth it. I don't agree with who he says should not make it into the HOF, especially my favorite Ram Issac Bruce. Good listen on how the HOF committee is set up too. Here's a brief excerpt from the interview, audio interview is below it.

Balzer: Pace Most Likely of 'Greatest Show' Players to be in 2015 Hall-of-Fame Class

Former Rams Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce are among 25 semi-finalists for induction into the 2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Longtime St. Louis media member Howard Balzer, a member of the 46-person Hall-of-Fame selection committee, joined The Press Box on Tuesday and was asked about the chances of each ex-Ram getting into the Hall of Fame.

Balzer said he doesn't see Bruce or Holt getting in in their first-year of eligibility. Orlando Pace, however, is a different story.

"It's interesting...A lot of people I've talked to - and I've talked to even some players on the Rams who were around that team, the 'Greatest Show' obviously, and I say 'how do you rank these four Rams?' And several people said none of it would've been possible without Orlando Pace. The last few years we've had left tackles go in from Willie Roaf to Johnathan Ogden to Walter Jones last year, and Pace is right there with all of them. If there's one Ram that I think is more likely than the others to get in, or atleast to make the final five this year, I would say it's Orlando Pace," Balzer told Frank Cusumano.

Balzer didn't rule out Kurt Warner being inducted next year, either.

"I don't know what the room is going to think on him. I think he's going to get in eventually, I don't think there's any doubt about that. First year? I'm not sure. When these voters, especially when we start voting from 15 to 10 to five...I don't know how other guys are going to view all these Rams and how many they'll vote for to even get to the final 15," Balzer said.

The results of the vote down to 15 finalists will be revealed January 8. The 2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class will be announced January 31.

Audio Interview:

[av]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/112514-5PB.mp3[/av]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Omitting Kurt Warner this year is just delaying the inevitable.

Ramathon

Omitting Kurt Warner this year is just delaying the inevitable.

I suspect Warner may be delayed more than some STL fans might suspect. Some single season & career stats (which rather surprised me).....

NFL Career Passing Yards Leaders - KW rank = 33rd
* Note: Dave Krieg, Vinny Testaverde, & Kerry Collins are a few names ahead of KW

NFL Single-Season Passing Yards Leaders - KW rank =12th (2001)
* Note: The Rams' SB season of 1999 KW had 4353 yds - 57th best single season (57th...that surprised the heck out of me. I would have guessed much higher)
* Note 2: KW had 4583 yds for AZ in '08 - 33rd best single season

NFL Single-Season Passing Touchdowns Leaders - KW rank = 9th (41 in 1999)
* Note: KW is also in a group tied for 18th with 36 TD's in 2001

NFL Career Passing Touchdowns Leaders - KW rank = 33rd
* Note: Dave Krieg & Vinny Testaverde again best him (and he's actually tied at 33rd w/ Kerry Collins)
* Note 2: Ben Roethlisberger has already surpassed KW on this one (this one surprised me)
* Note 3: For long time STL football fans, Jim Hart also surpasses KW on this one (JH @ 32nd)

Big Willie

Starter
I agree with H that Pace is the most likely first year of eligibility selection of the group. Ultimately, I think Warner and Bruce get in too; with Holt being the odd man out.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It will be interesting with Kurt. The career stats aren't there. He has a great story which helps make a up a lot of ground (especially with all the negative off field stuff the NFL has had recently). He is one of those guys that is more in not because of longevity but because when he was on top of his game he was the top of the game. He also has that X factor where 2 times he seemed to pull up (no he did not do it alone either time) bad teams.

The other thing to remember is that he helped usher in the passing league.

1. his 41TD in 1999 is currently 9th but at the time it was 3rd and the only other guy to break 40 was Marino.
2. similar with his 2001 total of 4,830 yds, it is 12th now, but at the time it was 2nd once agian to Marino.

It will be interesting to see how the voting committee approaches him though. If he doesn't get int his year then next year is unlikely (Favre is up then and I doubt 2 QB go in at the same time).

FRO

Legend
Holt should get in, but I doubt he does. Had he just been more of a self promoter and a jack wagon I think he would. He went about things the right way and didn't get the media attention he deserved. Same with Bruce.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Bruce should be first ballot along with Pace! Kurt maybe 2-3 years down the road! Torry, not going in anytime soon! Balzer, shut up!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I suspect Warner may be delayed more than some STL fans might suspect. Some single season & career stats (which rather surprised me).....

NFL Career Passing Yards Leaders - KW rank = 33rd
* Note: Dave Krieg, Vinny Testaverde, & Kerry Collins are a few names ahead of KW

NFL Single-Season Passing Yards Leaders - KW rank =12th (2001)
* Note: The Rams' SB season of 1999 KW had 4353 yds - 57th best single season (57th...that surprised the heck out of me. I would have guessed much higher)
* Note 2: KW had 4583 yds for AZ in '08 - 33rd best single season

NFL Single-Season Passing Touchdowns Leaders - KW rank = 9th (41 in 1999)
* Note: KW is also in a group tied for 18th with 36 TD's in 2001

NFL Career Passing Touchdowns Leaders - KW rank = 33rd
* Note: Dave Krieg & Vinny Testaverde again best him (and he's actually tied at 33rd w/ Kerry Collins)
* Note 2: Ben Roethlisberger has already surpassed KW on this one (this one surprised me)
* Note 3: For long time STL football fans, Jim Hart also surpasses KW on this one (JH @ 32nd)
Kurt didn't play as long as those guys. It's not surprising that his career records are not that impressive as he did not play a long career. He was the driver behind some of the most prolific and fun to watch offenses of all time. That game in which he bested Rodgers in the playoffs, I think he had more TD passes than incompletions.

As a side note. Balzer is right about Pace. It would be a shame if Walter Jones is elected his first year of eligibility and Orlando Pace is not.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kurt didn't play as long as those guys. It's not surprising that his career records are not that impressive as he did not play a long career. He was the driver behind some of the most prolific and fun to watch offenses of all time. That game in which he bested Rodgers in the playoffs, I think he had more TD passes than incompletions.

As a side note. Balzer is right about Pace. It would be a shame if Walter Jones is elected his first year of eligibility and Orlando Pace is not.

Jones was better, didn't hold out 4-5 times and show up out of shape year in and year out either. Pace did.

Ramathon

I agree re: the career stats. But longevity can be a factor in voters' minds when the rubber meets the road. KW did miss sizable portions of 3 years, and that will probably hurt him for a few yr.

The 'single season' records were what surprised me a little more. I.e., as you say, for a very prolific offense, it surprised me that KW's total passing yds for the SB '99 season is only the 57th highest total in history. If somebody had asked me as a trivia question if his '99 season ranked in the 'top 20', 'top 50', or 'top 100', I'd have absolutely jumped at 'top 20'.