Balzer: Contract terms for Cook and Cudjo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
By: Howard Balzer
<a class="postlink" href="http://howardbalzer.lockerdome.com/articles/106711125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://howardbalzer.lockerdome.com/articles/106711125</a>

The five-year contract signed by tight end Jared Cook with the Rams is worth $35.1 million with $19 million in guarantees. His cap charge for 2013 is $4 million, according to reports. The specific Breakdown is not yet available. Also haven't yet seen the breakdown for defensive end William Hayes' three-year contract.

Meanwhile, the two-year contract Rams defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo signed before the start of free agency is worth $1.805 million and includes a $350,000 signing bonus.

Cudjo was scheduled to become a restricted free agent, and to tender him would have cost the Rams $1.323 million. The minimum salary for a player with three credited seasons is $630,000, but because Cudjo was on injured reserve for the entire 2011 season, that did not count as a credited season. It did count as an accrued season, which is how free agency credit is determined.

His deal is for $555,000 in salary this season (the minimum for a player with two credited seasons) and $900,000 in 2014. His cap charge for this year is $730,000.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I freaking love you KD, best tight end AND only a 4 mill cap hit hell yeah!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Barrison6 said:

Great deal for us. I was worried when I heard we signed him. I though we were gonna have to pay out of our asses to get him. I was wrong. Love KD

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Barrison6 said:
That was a great move, but the hit is coming some year. I know that the Rams should have a very large amount of money under the cap for next year, so the hit might be coming as a "roster bonus" next year.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
IDK Cook has not done much in TEN, this could be a bust move.

i would rather have them throw money at Pollard hes a beast, they have 2 1st round picks to improve the receiving dept.

bluecoconuts

Legend
LosAngelesRams said:

i would rather have them throw money at Pollard hes a beast, they have 2 1st round picks to improve the receiving dept.

He's never had great QB's to throw to him, or a coaching staff to use him correctly. The talent though is off the charts. When people debate if a TE should be tagged as a WR, that's a good thing. Especially with Kendrick's developing as a really solid blocker. Mismatch nightmare, we're going to give Sam a lot more targets to hit, instead of nobody being open.

A55VA6

Legend
LosAngelesRams said:

They didn't utilize him. He can become a top TE in the rams system. Plus Sam Bradford loved his TE in college, and he loves throwing up the middle. Jared Cook is the answer.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
LosAngelesRams said:

He's never had great QB's to throw to him, or a coaching staff to use him correctly. The talent though is off the charts. When people debate if a TE should be tagged as a WR, that's a good thing. Especially with Kendrick's developing as a really solid blocker. Mismatch nightmare, we're going to give Sam a lot more targets to hit, instead of nobody being open.

All I’m saying is I hate big money being thrown at players who have not lived up to the hype in their career, I know Cook has the ability to be a top tier TE. Hopefully we can see it come out. Kendrick’s had 2 less catches, 3 less yards, higher yards per catch, higher deep ball catch and same amount of TD's as Cook last year.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
LosAngelesRams said:
bluecoconuts said:
LosAngelesRams said:

All I’m saying is I hate big money being thrown at players who have not lived up to the hype in their career, I know Cook has the ability to be a top tier TE. Hopefully we can see it come out. Kendrick’s had 2 less catches, 3 less yards, higher yards per catch, higher deep ball catch and same amount of TD's as Cook last year.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Vince young, kerry collins, rustys smith, jake locker and a offensive coordinator who loves dink and dunk garbage and could not figure out how to utilize randy miss and kenny britt at the same time. The titans have a loooooong track record of not developing the talent and an even longer record of these players performing way better after they leave.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Rabid Ram said:
The titans have a loooooong track record of not developing the talent and an even longer record of these players performing way better after they leave.
Uh that's not exactly reassuring, given that our head coach was there not too long ago.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
Vince young, kerry collins, rustys smith, jake locker and a offensive coordinator who loves dink and dunk garbage and could not figure out how to utilize randy miss and kenny britt at the same time. The titans have a loooooong track record of not developing the talent and an even longer record of these players performing way better after they leave.

keep in mind Jeff Fisher was the head coach for the Titans from 1994-2010. all the players you listed were under Jeff Fisher, V.Young - 2006, K. Collins - 1995, R. Smith - 2010 & K.Britt - 2009. the only one not on the list is Jake locker as he was drafted in 2011? I believe, my bad if any of those dates are off.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
LosAngelesRams said:
Rabid Ram said:

keep in mind Jeff Fisher was the head coach for the Titans from 1994-2010. all the players you listed were under Jeff Fisher, V.Young - 2006, K. Collins - 1995, R. Smith - 2010 & K.Britt - 2009. the only one not on the list is Jake locker as he was drafted in 2011? I believe, my bad if any of those dates are off.
Keep in mind that Fisher did not have the coaching budget in Tennessee that he does with the Rams. Nor did he want to draft Vince Young. Collins was the backup to Young when he imploded early in 2009.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ram Quixote said:
LosAngelesRams said:
Rabid Ram said:

Keep in mind that Fisher did not have the coaching budget in Tennessee that he does with the Rams. Nor did he want to draft Vince Young. Collins was the backup to Young when he imploded early in 2009.

Biggest issue in Tennessee was bud adams and his what i day goed apprach to ownership. He never spent money on talent or coaches to properly train said talent. Jeff left because of bud he did his best with what he had. I mean look at the difference since hes come to an ownership who cares. Jeffs hands were tied in Tennessee see vince young signing. This is why jeff has the rep he does he made teams out of nothing

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
brokeu91 said:
Rabid Ram said:
The titans have a loooooong track record of not developing the talent and an even longer record of these players performing way better after they leave.
Uh that's not exactly reassuring, given that our head coach was there not too long ago.

The issue was an ownership issue if it wasn't for fisher the titans would have been far worse s team. Fisher gets thr best out of everyone

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
Ram Quixote said:
LosAngelesRams said:
Rabid Ram said:

Biggest issue in Tennessee was bud adams and his what i day goed apprach to ownership. He never spent money on talent or coaches to properly train said talent. Jeff left because of bud he did his best with what he had. I mean look at the difference since hes come to an ownership who cares. Jeffs hands were tied in Tennessee see vince young signing. This is why jeff has the rep he does he made teams out of nothing

yea i totally understand the whole Adams issues(guy was crazy :boing: ) in Tennessee and you are right it does factor in on why they were not developed correctly but we cant count fisher out, ya know? I'm not throwing it all on Fisher hes actually a really amazing coach in my honest opinion, I was very happy with Fisher coming to the Rams and still am. I'm just always scared when big money gets thrown at guys that have not lived up to there hype yet, I know Cook has the talent to be amazing it just makes me nervous. you never know :ww:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
LosAngelesRams said:
Rabid Ram said:
Ram Quixote said:
LosAngelesRams said:
Rabid Ram said:

yea i totally understand the whole Adams issues(guy was crazy :boing: ) in Tennessee and you are right it does factor in on why they were not developed correctly but we cant count fisher out, ya know? I'm not throwing it all on Fisher hes actually a really amazing coach in my honest opinion, I was very happy with Fisher coming to the Rams and still am. I'm just always scared when big money gets thrown at guys that have not lived up to there hype yet, I know Cook has the talent to be amazing it just makes me nervous. you never know :ww:

totally understood i cant wait to see cook explode and show yall his skills