Ball control offense coming back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you look at the 49ers and Seahawks, you see two teams that have been successful of late that while having QBs that can throw the ball, they are relying heavily on their run games and defense.

Also, look at teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, who have won in the past slinging the ball but are now trying to get more balanced and emphasize the run.

Even the Broncos, who rely on Peyton Manning's arm aren't exactly going long constantly...to me, Manning is the "run game by short pass" type of general.

As things in the NFL tend to go, look for more teams to start mocking this transition...and the Rams are a step ahead IMO.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. But this is even more of a reason to build the o-line early and often in the draft. It's just a matter of either using the run to set up the pass (sf, sea) or using the pass to set up the run (GB, NO). I don't think either approach is better than the other, although it might be easier to stop the run. SEA, and SF are winning because of the Defensive side of the ball.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah... it's nice to know we are a step ahead as far as that goes. We learned at the start of last season what we are NOT.

A balanced team is going to lead to the most success. The thing is... I don't believe our passing game is up to par. I don't think that will change if we stick with our current group of WRs, I hope I'm wrong and huge leaps in performance come from this group,,, but I won't hold my breath.

Quality Defense - CHECK

Quality running game - CHECK

Quality passing game - Not so much

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Our offensive line is/was the reason that we were one dimensional offensively.

Nightcrawler couldn't have gotten open consistently when we tried to go pass first.

But that said, we have to catch up with our division defensively as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO the Rams O needs to pass deeper downfield, everything else is at least OK other than that part of the O.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our offensive line is/was the reason that we were one dimensional offensively.

Nightcrawler couldn't have gotten open consistently when we tried to go pass first.

But that said, we have to catch up with our division defensively as well.

Agree. I think we are a lot closer than most people think defensively. solid FA signings and good draft will put us above SF and SEA in my opinion

iced

If you look at the 49ers and Seahawks, you see two teams that have been successful of late that while having QBs that can throw the ball, they are relying heavily on their run games and defense.

Also, look at teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, who have won in the past slinging the ball but are now trying to get more balanced and emphasize the run.

Even the Broncos, who rely on Peyton Manning's arm aren't exactly going long constantly...to me, Manning is the "run game by short pass" type of general.

As things in the NFL tend to go, look for more teams to start mocking this transition...and the Rams are a step ahead IMO.

Peyton's Arm doesn't have much to rely on. He's been criticized for over a year about the strength of his arm.

The Saints under Peyton have always been a high running team - and I'm not so sure about the packers. They ran the ball yes but how much was that to do with aaron rodgers being injured like bradford was to stacy

Is it just me or whenever I hear "The way the 49ers and Seahawks do it" I'm always reminded of the Moneyball quote "if we think like the Yankees in here we'll lose to the Yankees out there" copying the way those two do things isn't the best way to beat those two.

That said I think we'll be best if we can run the ball and pass deep off of play action, essentially the game plan for Carolina...if only our receivers catch the ball.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yeah... it's nice to know we are a step ahead as far as that goes. We learned at the start of last season what we are NOT.

A balanced team is going to lead to the most success. The thing is... I don't believe our passing game is up to par. I don't think that will change if we stick with our current group of WRs, I hope I'm wrong and huge leaps in performance come from this group,,, but I won't hold my breath.

Quality Defense - CHECK

Quality running game - CHECK

Quality passing game - Not so much
Your assesments are spot on as always Selassie but I think if we had a running game from game 1 and Sam never gets hurt our passing game would of been pretty darn decent to say the least!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Your assesments are spot on as always Selassie but I think if we had a running game from game 1 and Sam never gets hurt our passing game would of been pretty darn decent to say the least!

I just don't think our current group of WRs have enough talent for our offense to be considered balanced. We don't really scare or threaten anyone outside the numbers. That's got to change.

Crossing fingers for huge improvements from Quick, Givens, and Bailey. I'm not real confident though... wish that wasn't the case.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I just don't think our current group of WRs have enough talent for our offense to be considered balanced. We don't really scare or threaten anyone outside the numbers. That's got to change.

Crossing fingers for huge improvements from Quick, Givens, and Bailey. I'm not real confident though... wish that wasn't the case.
HaHa I can't say i disagree man....
Quick and Givens really need to get there Shit together this season or they are doneski's

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Peyton's Arm doesn't have much to rely on. He's been criticized for over a year about the strength of his arm.

The Saints under Peyton have always been a high running team - and I'm not so sure about the packers. They ran the ball yes but how much was that to do with aaron rodgers being injured like bradford was to stacy
Yes, the Saints have always had a good run game...however, they are committing to a more ground and pound run game, they are committing to Ingram and moving on from Sproles and Thomas.

Green Bay made it a priority last offseason to draft a pounding RB, well before Rodgers injury.

iced

Yes, the Saints have always had a good run game...however, they are committing to a more ground and pound run game, they are committing to Ingram and moving on from Sproles and Thomas.

Green Bay made it a priority last offseason to draft a pounding RB, well before Rodgers injury.

Meh' - they've had ingram for awhile and I still wouldn't call what they did this year committing to ingram. Pierre Thomas still carried the load (I know this cause I had him in Fantasy).

Green bay spent a 2nd rounder on a kid everyone thought they would go in the first - i'd call that a BPA pick... and they still threw the ball even with Lacy - they just ran it even more after Aaron went down and a backup went in..just like we did with stacy.... 16 carries a game with bradford - first 3 games without sam, 20+ carries

nighttrain

Legend
Hawks abnd Whiners have to run, neither of Russsel ar Kaep good passing QBs, but very mobile. Rams will pass more plays than they Run this next season
train

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Meh' - they've had ingram for awhile and I still wouldn't call what they did this year committing to ingram. Pierre Thomas still carried the load (I know this cause I had him in Fantasy).

Green bay spent a 2nd rounder on a kid everyone thought they would go in the first - i'd call that a BPA pick... and they still threw the ball even with Lacy - they just ran it even more after Aaron went down and a backup went in..just like we did with stacy.... 16 carries a game with bradford - first 3 games without sam, 20+ carries

So what do you call it when they release Sproles and have tried to trade Thomas...which they are planning on releasing him if they can't find a trade partner?

This isn't me speculating on the Saints, this is information I read on the direction that Payton is supposedly going.

I'll try and remember where I read it so I can find it and post it.

iced

So what do you call it when they release Sproles and have tried to trade Thomas...which they are planning on releasing him if they can't find a trade partner?

This isn't me speculating on the Saints, this is information I read on the direction that Payton is supposedly going.

I'll try and remember where I read it so I can find it and post it.

Simple - salary cap moves.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-lance-moore-new-orleans-saints-being-shopped

Saints looking to clear cap room

The New Orleans Saints have been shopping running back Pierre Thomas and receiverLance Moore to other teams, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Some sources believe the Saints also are open to trading running back Darren Sproles.

The Saints are slammed up close to the salary cap heading into the start of free agency on Tuesday, and all three of those longtime veterans play part-time roles in New Orleans' deep offense.

The emergence of young running backs Mark Ingram and Khiry Robinson and young receiverKenny Stills could make those players more expendable.

Thomas and Moore have both been mentioned as possible candidates to either be released or asked to take pay cuts. Sproles would likely be even harder to pry away.

Thomas is due $2.9 million in salary and bonuses in the final year of his contract. Moore is due $3.8 million in salary and bonuses, with two years remaining on his contract.

Both players are due significant roster bonuses on March 25, with Thomas due $300,000 and Moore due $500,000, according to ESPN's Adam Caplan.

Sproles, meanwhile, is due $3.5 million in salary and bonuses in the final year of his deal.

The Saints are estimated to be just under the salary cap after factoring in a franchise-tag tender of $7.035 million to tight end Jimmy Graham. But they still need to make room to re-sign some of their own free agents and add others on the open market. They will likely carve out millions of dollars by restructuring some current contracts, as well.

New Orleans already made several tough cuts last month by parting ways with longtime veteran defensive players Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer. All of those moves were expected, though, because of their diminishing roles or injury concerns.

Thomas (29), Moore (30) and Sproles (30) aren't in the exact same boat as that group; they're still at the tail end of their primes. Moreover, Thomas just had one of his best seasons to date with more than 1,000 yards from scrimmage.

None of the trio, however, played more than 50 percent of New Orleans' offensive snaps last season since the team rotates its offensive parts in and out so much.

Thomas ran for 549 yards and caught a career-high 77 passes for 513 yards and five touchdowns in 2013. He appeared in every regular-season game before suffering a chest injury that sidelined him for the playoffs.

Moore's role diminished somewhat in the Saints offense last year after he missed three games with a hand injury early in the season. He finished with 37 catches for 457 yards and two touchdowns. In 2012, he had 65 catches for a career-high 1,041 yards and six touchdowns.

They also Cut Lance Moore

Sum1

Hall of Fame

iced

I'm well aware it had to do with salary cap...but what I must not be making clear is that it was reported this weekend that Asshole Face wants to put more emphasis on a pounding run game. The emergence of Mark Ingram is making that possible.

I just don't understand how this is any different from what they already do - they routinely end up in top 3- 5 in rushing attempts and their offense is predicated on the run game. They use the run to set up their PA fakes

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand how this is any different from what they already do - they routinely end up in top 3- 5 in rushing attempts and their offense is predicated on the run game. They use the run to set up their PA fakes
Nobody said they haven't ran the ball in the past.

Mark Ingram is more of a downhill power back than Sproles and should have more shelf life left than Thomas...that is committing to Ingram. That and the fact Payton has said he wants to focus more on power running is straying from their misdirection and draw play philosophy.

That's it.

iced

Nobody said they haven't ran the ball in the past.

Mark Ingram is more of a downhill power back than Sproles and should have more shelf life left than Thomas...that is committing to Ingram. That and the fact Payton has said he wants to focus more on power running is straying from their misdirection and draw play philosophy.

That's it.

Ah okay - I don't really think they used sproles that much as a runner anyway, he was more of a receiver or out of the back field option.... and they do run a fair amount of power-o as well, that's why they paid so much to their guards