Bailey finally resurfaces as option in passing game/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bailey finally resurfaces as option in passing game
• By Jim Thomas jthomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5c16c08f-d1ff-5bf7-af27-3ba769cde2f3.html

When the NFL revised it drug policy in September, it meant Stedman Bailey’s four-game league suspension was cut in half.

After sitting out the opener against Minnesota as well as Game 2 against Tampa Bay, Bailey made his season debut two games early — against Dallas in Game 3. Based on how he closed his rookie season in 2013, plus his impressive play during spring practices and training camp, the Rams offense would be the better for it.

It was only natural to expect a brief adjustment period when Bailey returned, maybe a couple of weeks before he really got going. But in one of this season’s bigger mysteries, those couple weeks turned into half a season.

Bailey must’ve been on a milk carton somewhere, because he wasn’t on the field. In his first four games post-suspension, he participated in an average of nine offensive plays.

During that stretch, he was on the field nearly twice as much on special teams (66 plays) than at wide receiver (37). Of course, one of those special teams plays did result in arguably the most exciting play of the Rams’ season — Bailey’s 90-yard punt return for a TD on the “Mountaineer” play, with Tavon Austin serving as a decoy for Seattle’s punt coverage team.

As for wide receiver, almost every week coach Jeff Fisher would say the team wanted to get Bailey more involved. But Bailey was targeted only five times in his first four games, catching two passes for 20 yards.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer pointed out that there was only one football to go around. And as trite as that sounded, there was some truth to it.

Once Bailey’s suspension was lifted — and when Austin returned Oct. 5 against Philly after missing one and a half games with a knee injury — the Rams were trying to work six wide receivers into their rotation.

“I just know that this is a game of patience,” Bailey said. “Sometimes you’ve got to be patient. And whenever your number’s called, make sure you’re there to make the play.”

But the herd was thinned in late October. After being a surprise pre-game inactive against Seattle, Austin Pettis was released Oct. 20. Six days later in Kansas City, the Rams’ most productive wide receiver — Brian Quick — suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.

At that point, the Rams really didn’t have a choice. They had to play Bailey. He was in for 64 percent of the offensive plays Nov. 2 at San Francisco and 74 percent the following week at Arizona, but the ball still wasn’t coming his way. He was thrown to just three times in those two games, with just a seven-yard catch to show for it.

Bailey showed a pulse two Sundays ago in the upset of Denver with three catches for 26 yards. Then — finally — came the breakout game in San Diego. Bailey had a team-high seven catches for 89 yards and a touchdown in the Ram’s 27-24 loss. He was targeted nine times, which tied for the team-high total with tight end Jared Cook.

Those were the kinds of numbers expected from Bailey on a regular basis based on his play last summer.

“Stedman’s been great all camp, all spring,” QB Sam Bradford had said after the team’s Aug. 2 scrimmage at the Edward Jones Dome. “I think he’s gonna be a big part of what we do when he gets back.”

Better late than never.

Why it took until the Sunday before Thanksgiving to see Bailey play a meaningful role in the offense remains a puzzle.

“It’s just games and situations and opportunities,” Fisher said. “We’re settling in right now to a really good group.”

Meaning Kenny Britt, Austin, and Bailey.

When asked if anything had held back Bailey before the San Diego game, Fisher replied: “No, he’s been obviously doing really good things for us on special teams. But it’s Shaun (Hill) throwing the ball where the ball’s supposed to go.

“I was really disappointed in the call that brought back Sted’s big play that got us inside the 10. They called a hold on Greg (Robinson).”

The flag wiped out what would’ve been a 23-yard gain by Bailey to the San Diego 8 late in the first quarter. The Rams settled for a field goal and their first points of the game. Otherwise, Bailey would’ve posted only the second 100-yard game receiving game of the season for the Rams.

As it was, the seven catches and 89 yards were career highs for Bailey, a third-round pick out of West Virginia.

“It was very exciting for me to finally get involved in the game plan, to be able to make some plays out there,” he said. “But overall, we didn’t win the game. We’ve just got to keep fighting and hope for the next one.”

These final five games of 2014 could be very important for Bailey in terms of staking a claim to a starting spot, or at the very least a significant role in the receiver corps in 2015.

“I feel like things will get better from here on out with me being more involved in the offense and being able to catch passes,” Bailey said. “So I look forward to that, and I’m just gonna continue to keep working.”

ROSTER MOVES

The Rams released WR Damian Williams, who has been bothered recently by a hamstring injury, and replaced him with TE Justice Cunningham, who was brought up from their practice squad. Another NFL team was interested in signing Cunningham to its active roster; the Rams liked him enough to promote him to their 53-man roster.

THANKSGIVING

For the 20th consecutive year in St. Louis, Rams players teamed up with the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis to distribute Thanksgiving meals to 2,000 needy families on Tuesday. Rams players contributed $35,000 for the project, with every player on the squad donating.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Finally, because most Rams fans have written him off. SMH.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Really? I've never seen a bad word said about Bailey, (and rightly so), except being disappointed (pissed) that he got suspended.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It was only natural to expect a brief adjustment period when Bailey returned, maybe a couple of weeks before he really got going. But in one of this season’s bigger mysteries, those couple weeks turned into half a season.
Bailey must’ve been on a milk carton somewhere, because he wasn’t on the field. In his first four games post-suspension, he participated in an average of nine offensive plays.
JMHO But this ^ is on Schotty and Fisher, not anything Bailey has or hasn't done!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
always knew he was a Stud. Tavon will emerge too when Bradford is back and/or Schotty grows a brain. Quick,Britt,Tavon and Stud will be an explosive group next year if Bradford's under center. Every single one brings a unique dynamic to the group. thats huge

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Steadman just runs amazing routes man. I'm surprised Tavon doesn't because they've been teammates since they were about 18. It's crazy to think Bailey was actually the more productive reciever in college.