Bad news for nattering nabobs of negativism

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Being a cynic linked to tripled risk of developing dementia, Finland study suggests
Sarah Knapton, The Daily Telegraph, National Post Wire Services |

Cynics are three times more likely to develop dementia than those who have faith in humanity, a study has shown.

Believing that others are motivated by selfishness, or that they lie to get what they want, appears to radically increase the risk of cognitive decline in later life.

It could mean that grumpy old men and women should be screened more closely for diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Cynicism has previously been linked to health problems such as heart disease, but this is the first time it has been associated with dementia.

“These results add to the evidence that people’s view on life and personality may have an impact on their health,” said Dr. Anna-Maija Tolppanen, the lead researcher at the University of Eastern Finland, whose study is published online in the journalNeurology.

Academics asked nearly 1,500 people with an average age of 71 to fill out a questionnaire to measure their levels of cynicism.

They were asked how much they agreed with statements such as “I think most people would lie to get ahead”, “it is safer to trust nobody” and “most people will use somewhat unfair reasons to gain profit or an advantage rather than lose it.”

Those taking part were monitored for eight years, during which time 46 of them were diagnosed with dementia. The academics discovered that those who had scored highly for cynicism were three times more likely to have developed dementia than those with low scores.

Researchers adjusted the results for other factors that could affect the risk of dementia, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and smoking.

Of the 164 people with high levels of cynicism, 14 people developed dementia, compared with nine of the 212 people with low levels of cynicism.

One in three people over 65 will develop a form of dementia. Of the 800,000 people in the U.K. who have the condition, more than half have Alzheimer’s disease. It is estimated that 1.7 million Britons will suffer from dementia by 2051.

Responding to the study findings, charities cautioned that the early symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia could make people more cynical about life.

Dr. Doug Brown, of the Alzheimer’s Society, said: “While this research attempts to make a link between higher levels of cynical distrust and risk of dementia, there were far too few people in this study that actually developed dementia to be able to draw any firm conclusions.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You know Prime Time, it is articles like this from Finland that really get under my skin, those Finnish doctors are just using this as an excuse to trick people into ..... wait, what was I saying?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know Prime Time, it is articles like this from Finland that really get under my skin, those Finnish doctors are just using this as an excuse to trick people into ..... wait, what was I saying?

You just lost some brain cells my friend. Here's what I do on a daily basis to combat potential dementia...take a deep, long swig of this three times a day and it will all be lollipops, rainbows, and unicorns.

dvg36h.jpg

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The problem with a study like this trying show causality by association. For instance, how do you know that these people were pessimistic their whole lives? You really don't. So maybe, the cynicism is actually one of the first signs of dementia. For instance we know that people who have never been depressed before but develop late life depression are also at a higher risk of developing dementia. People who are high in trait neuroticism are more likely to have vascular disease and people with vascular disease are much more likely to develop dementia so there could be a primary link, but this study does not show that at all.

Now if pessimism truly is a cause for dementia, then there are A LOT of posters at Rams Talk who will be having some memory problems

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
.Now if pessimism truly is a cause for dementia, then there are A LOT of posters at Rams Talk who will be having some memory problems

Nah, most of them have moved on to more pessimistic pastures. :cool:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I doubt that. And I doubt you! I doubt this entire system!

And get those unicorns off my lawn!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
And there are those who believe the depressed are the only people who see the world as it really is,IOW optimism IS dementia