Backup QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see Austin Davis or any QB with running ability promoted to backup QB.

It is obvious that when your 1st team pocket passing QB gets hurt it becomes incredibly hard to adjust your game plan to a guy that can run.

Has a team ever had an in game backup and a separate No.2 that that starts when the No.1 is out?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Don't think so.

I would just keep the QB's how they are. I like the potential that Austin Davis has, but he's a rookie and was going against 3rd-4th stringers in the preseason. He'll have to adjust to starters, so I say let him learn some more. I wouldn't worry about that as long as Sam is playing how he's playing. Which is good.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
What I don't get is Clemens was cut and then brought back. So how is Davis NOT the #2 QB if they kept him originally?

STLINI

UDFA
bwdenverram said:
What I don't get is Clemens was cut and then brought back. So how is Davis NOT the #2 QB if they kept him originally?

$$$$$$ There was some kind of deal that his contract wasn't guaranteed or he didn't get a bonus or something like that if he wasn't on the week 1 roster. They were just saving money, and figured it was worth the risk of him signing with somebody else. I'm sure he knew it was coming.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
STLINI said:
bwdenverram said:

$$$$$$ There was some kind of deal that his contract wasn't guaranteed or he didn't get a bonus or something like that if he wasn't on the week 1 roster. They were just saving money, and figured it was worth the risk of him signing with somebody else. I'm sure he knew it was coming.
What do you think of Clemens?

Or Davis?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Clemons was cut to save money, it was always the plan to bring him back. You gotta keep the veteran guy as the backup with a new system. I bet Davis backs up Sam next year.

But it doesn't matter. I hope we never see Davis on the field other than preseason.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep. That was purely cost cutting. They knew they were going to resign him after week one. If he had gone somewhere else, my guess is we would have signed another vet with knowlege of the system. Davis is intriguing for sure, but that would be a lot to ask of a rook. They definitely like the kid, but he was never really promoted to #2 as far as I could tell. That will most likely change in the not too distant future though....