Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As to injury replacement at either OT? Gulp. I have little choice but to trust in Kromer and his preparedness for such a situation. ‘Cause I sure as hell don’t know.

Well, that is why IMO, I believe the Rams will draft an Offensive Tackle with the 87th pick, someone they feel could step in for Whitworth or if they edge rusher with the pick and draft a Guard later, as much as many of us don't want to see Saffold at Tackle, that could be what happens.

Also don't rule out the Rams making a deal for a backup tackle during training camp. Now usually that is hard to come by, but somebody always seems to be had or released.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Now I see why you're saying what you've been. Word of warning, don't trust the Ram's site. Throughout the year last year they would show a player on the 53 roster and the practice squad, as they did with Fred Brown and Sam Rogers a few times. So even though it's their official website, it's not officially updated as it should be.

You brought up Barwin, and he's a good example. We all knew he was a free agent, but they still listed him as being on the roster, which obviously was wrong. The only reasoning I could come up with is that whoever sets the official website roster expected him back. That's also may be what they did with Lucas, he wasn't on the real roster, but he was on the roster on the website. By the way, he wasn't restricted in anyway as I believe that they only agreed to a one year deal last year. I'll look it up to be sure.

Okay looked up. Spotrac, nfl.com, rotoworld, and many others show Lucas as signing a rest of the year contract after the Colts game. No mention of a restricted contract, which would gel with him visiting KC before choosing to re-sign with us. If I knew how to link this would be much clearer than the muddy water I'm spreading.

Darrell Williams was a RFA , Lucas was just left on the sites roster.

It’s just a theory like you said about Barwin & Lucas would be back. Barwin went to Arizona, he knows his value.I’m sure The Rams can’t afford him in order to get some other contracts done.

Snead says he wants players to test the market so when they do sign they are all in, &
Don’t have regret.

Anyway it is just nice both lineman signed new deals.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Umm... yeah.... that would be a no... don't think so. At least not top caliber OTs.

All at least 6'5 - 6-6 320ish etc.. And a few elites in that 6-7 330 range.

And I mean you still have to be able to play, size is not the only thing, but he needs more lead in his ass to hold up and long arms to hold off elite edge rushers.
Yes the norm for a starting LT is around 320lbs. But there are some good ones who go much lighter....

Jake Matthews 309 lbs
Duane Brown 305 lbs
Terron Armstead 304 lbs
David Bakhtiari 309 lbs
Riley Reiff 304 lbs
Cedric Ogbuehi 308 lbs
Garett Bolles 297 lbs
Anthony Castonzo 310 lbs

The top 3 LT in this yrs draft go @ 312, 310 & 288 lbs.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
After Whitworth, I trust Saffold at LT more than any of the others.

Then who do you trust at LG ?

I’ll still take a wager Roger Saffold will not get any reps at LT during the preseason games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, that is why IMO, I believe the Rams will draft an Offensive Tackle with the 87th pick, someone they feel could step in for Whitworth or if they edge rusher with the pick and draft a Guard later, as much as many of us don't want to see Saffold at Tackle, that could be what happens.

Also don't rule out the Rams making a deal for a backup tackle during training camp. Now usually that is hard to come by, but somebody always seems to be had or released.

Can’t wait for the draft !!

I don’t believe Kromer would put Saffold at LT in no shape or form !! IMO — He is a veteran who has finally settled in at LG .

Why would The Rams move a All-Pro type guard to have 2 mediocre players on the left side ?? Especially during the season & camp he will be training with the replacement LT ?
Those Wednesday Reps mean something & McVay likes the way Reggie helps keeps players healthy. Then again maybe Saffold earns the right to sit out on Wednesday’s ??
I think he is the glue on the Left Side & Big Whit just needs to keep doing his thing & keeping his body right so we will never know !!

As far as the draft ?? It will be interesting. I want a RB within in the first 3 picks !!

OT & OLB/MLB are also serious needs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes the norm for a starting LT is around 320lbs. But there are some good ones who go much lighter....

Jake Matthews 309 lbs
Duane Brown 305 lbs
Terron Armstead 304 lbs
David Bakhtiari 309 lbs
Riley Reiff 304 lbs
Cedric Ogbuehi 308 lbs
Garett Bolles 297 lbs
Anthony Castonzo 310 lbs

The thing I keep coming back to is Williams is only 24 still & going into his 3rd season. It either clicks for him , or it doesn’t ??

Interesting how The Rams waited to sign him.
Insurance that The Rams might not find better in the draft , or he has been taking to training hard during his time off ??

I’m drinking the juice , but a 22 & 23 year old playing OT in the NFL is not an easy task. Look back at Whitworths career. Then again he is a huge dude.
I can see Big Rob having a big breakout season. Jamon Brown I still have doubts about his dedication??

—Does DW have the arms to play LT ?? Arm size helps a lot , compared to the Guard position.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Whitworth goes down early in the season and gets IR'd (God forbid), Saffold is the best option to finnish the season there and filling LG with Blythe. Worrying about Saffold and his injury history is just dumb. Got to put the best five out there and the most accomplished LT, that's Saffold. Williams will get Goff killed and Lucas is an unknown.

I cringe at the idea of Whit going down, but you have to have a back up plan.

I predict Lucas will get a long look and plenty of snaps during pre-season at LT. We already know how good Williams is there. (Not very).

I agree Saffold my not get any snaps at LT. He doesn't need any.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The thing I keep coming back to is Williams is only 24 still & going into his 3rd season. It either clicks for him , or it doesn’t ??

Interesting how The Rams waited to sign him.
Insurance that The Rams might not find better in the draft , or he has been taking to training hard during his time off ??

I’m drinking the juice , but a 22 & 23 year old playing OT in the NFL is not an easy task. Look back at Whitworths career. Then again he is a huge dude.
I can see Big Rob having a big breakout season. Jamon Brown I still have doubts about his dedication??

—Does DW have the arms to play LT ?? Arm size helps a lot , compared to the Guard position.

I have never read anything that contained the arm length of DW. I do know he is a pure OLT type. This former South Florida LT never reached any NFL draft radar sites for any real review or analysis's. The positive stuff I know on DW is he was active for 17 NFL games last year. His first & second seasons were IR events. I do have all of his four 2017 pre season gms on my DVR. DW did start @ LT for the Rams four pre season games.

Not sure I would say that this 6.46 tall 305 pound OT is huge. Yes his age is a positive now DW will enter his 4th Ram Training Camp & Pre season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Whitworth goes down early in the season and gets IR'd (God forbid), Saffold is the best option to finnish the season there and filling LG with Blythe. Worrying about Saffold and his injury history is just dumb. Got to put the best five out there and the most accomplished LT, that's Saffold. Williams will get Goff killed and Lucas is an unknown.

I predict Lucas will get a long look and plenty of snaps during pre-season at LT. We already know how good Williams is there. (Not very).

Right now I can’t totally disagree with you , but then again I do still think the backup LT would stay put.

The draft is next week & will have a better idea on The Rams situation. Last season it was a dead clear The Rams we’re drafting a TE.
This season LBer depth snhard to gage.
Plus OLB vs MLB ?
Backup RB
OT - swing
Are tops on the list. I can see a multiple of at least one position , plus pin pointing a player & position thus far in the draft is extremely hard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Half those 6th rd picks will be OL.

We are getting close !! My gues is at least 1 Offensive Line before the 6th rd

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Umm... yeah.... that would be a no... don't think so. At least not top caliber OTs.

All at least 6'5 - 6-6 320ish etc.. And a few elites in that 6-7 330 range.

And I mean you still have to be able to play, size is not the only thing, but he needs more lead in his ass to hold up and long arms to hold off elite edge rushers.

Jake Matthews 309 lbs
Duane Brown 305 lbs
Terron Armstead 304 lbs
David Bakhtiari 309 lbs
Riley Reiff 304 lbs
Cedric Ogbuehi 308 lbs
Garett Bolles 297 lbs
Anthony Castonzo 310 lbs

Yep. :D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well the closer the draft arrives , the more likely The Rams go Offensive Lineman with there 1st pick !! Weather moving up or not is another question.

I’d say RB is on the wish list , then again Les is content for the moment.! Odds are OT/OG
& OLB/MLB with first 2 picks

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Whichever they think you can turn into a starter at linebacker or offensive line.

I hope they pick the BPA of those two.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't see anything as a higher priority than developmental/backup for Whit/Hav at this point. OL is crucial.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The crucial question is: Where do you find that guy? Kids coming out of college in the draft are no where near ready to play OL, LT for sure. Teams do cut O-Linemen due to age or salary, and thats the best way to find backup O Line guys.
Most NFL teams are thin on OL and finding depth is a problem. Look at teams like Seattle or Arizona, they have been struggling to field a decent OL, with not much success.

Finding a kid that contribute right away in the draft is a longshot. Best look for kids who have played all four years and at colleges that run pro style O's. Iowa, USC, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio St are some of the few who do.

fearsomefour

Legend
The crucial question is: Where do you find that guy? Kids coming out of college in the draft are no where near ready to play OL, LT for sure. Teams do cut O-Linemen due to age or salary, and thats the best way to find backup O Line guys.
Most NFL teams are thin on OL and finding depth is a problem. Look at teams like Seattle or Arizona, they have been struggling to field a decent OL, with not much success.

Finding a kid that contribute right away in the draft is a longshot. Best look for kids who have played all four years and at colleges that run pro style O's. Iowa, USC, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio St are some of the few who do.
Exactly.
Have to scoure everywhere you can and have some luck.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This is your wheelhouse sir and I do like some coming out if they are there for the Rams. Tyrell Crosby, Alex Cappa and my under the radar prospect Jamil Demby of the Black Bears of Maine. BTW I consider the Black Bears one of the best team names in College Football. Now IMO, the New England Patriots most likely will draft this guy, however, I'm counting on new Assistant WR Coach Liam Coen to provide the inside on Demby because Coen was the OC for the University of Maine from 2016-2017.

FWIW's Demby was better in the three cone drill than Crosby & Cappa, IMO, I would draft Demby in the 4th, hopefully, the Pats don't take him in the 3rd. The other reason I like the kid is he has it from the neck up and I don't believe would be overwhelmed if called upon. Again @bubbaramfan is correct, if Whitworth went down, Saffold most likely would get the call, but if the Rams draft Demby, he could move into LG and be ready for 2019.

An All-South Jersey selection and summa cum laude graduate, Demby slipped through the recruiting ranks a bit to wind up at Maine. He started 10 games at left tackle as a true freshman, then did so again in 2015. He missed the 2016 season opener with a strained PCL but returned to play in 10 games, starting nine at his left tackle spot. In his final season, Demby was a preseason CAA All-Conference selection and a third-team FCS All-American before going on to play in all 10 of the team's games. Demby isn't an elite athlete, but his intelligence and ability to punch, move his feet, and anchor in pass protection make him an intriguing prospect.

Overview
Demby is a well-built, wide-framed college tackle who projects inside to guard. He's naturally strong with some pop at the point of attack, but his ability to sustain is inconsistent due to his lack of bend and inconsistent hand usage. Demby may be more solid than good as a run blocker, but his experience at tackle and his traits in pass protection could help him stand out for a pass-heavy offense looking to shore up a leaky interior. Demby has the traits and talent to become an eventual starter.
Strengths
  • Started all four years
  • Plus muscle density in his build with broadness from chest to hips
  • Good arm length with big hands
  • Adequate explosion into fits and runs feet through contact
  • Will generate push when he keeps block centered
  • Has vision to second level
  • Enough agility to work hips into position on move blocks
  • Recognizes downhill linebackers and comes off doubles to splatter him
  • Stiff jab in his pass punch
  • Lands with heavy hands and locks it out
  • Features size and anchor to combat and absorb power rushers
  • Can redirect and recover to protect the pocket
  • Held up well at Senior Bowl in one-on-ones
  • College tackle with foot quickness to mirror athletic rushers
Weaknesses
  • Burly but not a bender
  • Can be beaten in the leverage battle
  • Narrow base as drive blocker
  • Doesn't control or sustain with snatch strength in hands
  • Pad level runs high causing inconsistencies in gaining ground to cross opponents face on move blocks
  • Below average body adjustment to second level movement
  • Needs lower punch point on opponent as hands can slide too high
  • Can get eager in pass pro and lunge forward at times
Sources Tell Us

"He definitely put himself on the map with how he handled himself at the Senior Bowl. He's a big strong dude." -- AFC Personnel Director

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamil-demby?id=32462018-0002-5601-18dd-252c254d83fe

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well that is why I still have hope for DW ? Who knows (Kromer) he still is only 24 going into his 4th season with Horns.

Lucas is a big guy who was picked up on waivers & put on practice squad . Then moved to 53 sometime after The Rams cut Arndrew Donnal .

Austin Blythe was a find , also Eldekamp & Neary we’re kept on practice squad all season. It’s a start of a foundation. With McVay’s believe to teach & get better everyday .

I do think to protect against FA’s The Rams have a serious need at OT & OG . Kromer believes he can teach teachable type players.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lucas is a big guy who was picked up on waivers & put on practice squad . Then moved to 53 sometime after The Rams cut Arndrew Donnal .

Cornelius Lucas was never on the practice squad, the Rams signed Lucas after the first week of the season and he has been on the active roster ever sense.

Rams Sign OT Cornelius Lucas, Waive Dielman and Jefferson

Two days after the Rams dominant season opener over the Colts, the team has made a few changes to its active roster. On Tuesday, the team announced that they had signed offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas. The Rams also waived offensive lineman J.J. Dielman and defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson, as well as terminated offensive lineman, Jake Eldrenkamp from the team's practice squad.

Lucas joins a Rams offensive line that has seen a variety of changes over the past year. Head coach Sean McVay and the rest of his staff made a concentrated effort to boost the offensive line in the offseason, by adding veteran players such as left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivan. Lucas should present the team with another rotational option to improve the team's depth on the line.

The former Kansas State Wildcat was signed by the Lions as an undrafted free agent in 2014. And although he was signed to a one-year contract in April, he was released by Detroit after they were awarded two new players via waiver claims last week. Lucas played in 35 games total during his three seasons with the Lions and started in six of them.