Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No real truth there . Then everyone on The Rams roster should be listed as C/G or G/T.

Go look at who filled in when players got hurt , or even the last game of the year. Kromer is playing whoever he thinks will be best player to fill in.
It's called cross training.
Every one of these backup offensive lineman play multiple positions in the preseason.
It is a FACT that they have to do this because they only activate two or three backup offensive lineman on game day.
If multiple players go down simultaneously on the offensive line they have to be crossed trained to be able to fill those spots.

So there is a little itty bitty tiny bit of truth there regardless of your need this morning to argue with every one of my posts. :D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like Blythe. I think he did a great job last year filling in. I would not be surprised if he is one of those new starters when the current starting lineup starts turning over next year.

As for Williams, I still haven't seen anything to get excited about. It's hard to give up on a player who's so young despite having some NFL experience, but when the Rams bring in several OL to fill the 90 man roster, it will be telling WHERE these guys are coming from--drafted early, late, UDFAs.

I think this DRAFT will be really telling , plus Les Snead (coaches,scouting) seems to work magic with udfa players .

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I like Blythe. I think he did a great job last year filling in. I would not be surprised if he is one of those new starters when the current starting lineup starts turning over next year.

As for Williams, I still haven't seen anything to get excited about. It's hard to give up on a player who's so young despite having some NFL experience, but when the Rams bring in several OL to fill the 90 man roster, it will be telling WHERE these guys are coming from--drafted early, late, UDFAs.

I do know that he helped cost them the Eagles game when he came in for Havenstein and then got beat by Chris Long on the strip sack fumble. Now Goff held the ball a little too long and McVay never should have called for a deep shot under those circumstances, but he still got beat.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About our OL situation...

I feel very confident about out starting 5. I mean, if they can remain healthy, I could see them taking us all the way to the SB.

But they’re unlikely to all remain healthy again this year. Sigh...

If we suffer an injury at C or either OG position, I like Blythe just fine. But if there are 2 simultaneous injuries on the interior? It gets kinda tricky, I think.

As to injury replacement at either OT? Gulp. I have little choice but to trust in Kromer and his preparedness for such a situation. ‘Cause I sure as hell don’t know.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Regardless, until yesterday Cornelius Lucas was a free agent.
Fact.

Solid response & in fact

That is true !! The thing I take from these signings is The Rams will be drafting a few LBers , & For sure Now a RB very early !!

Not very many people are talking about this position & The Rams have had a void since the signing of DUNBAR early last season.
Malcom Brown was such a solid backup & a core special teams player.

The fact is The Rams had enough confidence to have Darell Williams as there backup LT !!

That does not mean if a LT , they like falls to them early that The Rams pass on him. It does lesson the possibility though if it is even between certain player types.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's called cross training.
Every one of these backup offensive lineman play multiple positions in the preseason.
It is a FACT that they have to do this because they only activate two or three backup offensive lineman on game day.
If multiple players go down simultaneously on the offensive line they have to be crossed trained to be able to fill those spots.

So there is a little itty bitty tiny bit of truth there regardless of your need this morning to argue with every one of my posts. :D

Well I’ll take Ramcoins on Roger Saffold not taking any snaps at LT this preseason & only at LG !!! Also with Sullivan & Whitworth not cross training in any of those games as well.
The Rams should bring in 4 more OL players for OTA’s . Just imo !!

Will keep an eye on it , & catch the Wave with Peace Dude !! Best of the day to you as well.

I’m getting pumped for the draft !! Actually I have been doing music festivals the last 3 years & watch it recapped when I get back.
Thursday is going to be cool as a NFL fan , but again no first & 2nd rd draft pick .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I do know that he helped cost them the Eagles game when he came in for Havenstein and then got beat by Chris Long on the strip sack fumble. Now Goff held the ball a little too long and McVay never should have called for a deep shot under those circumstances, but he still got beat.

Who ?? What position ?

—Williams ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I feel very confident about out starting 5. I mean, if they can remain healthy, I could see them taking us all the way to the SB.

If we suffer an injury at C or either OG position, I like Blythe just fine. But if there are 2 simultaneous injuries on the interior? It gets kinda tricky, I think.

As to injury replacement at either OT? Gulp. I have little choice but to trust in Kromer and his preparedness for such a situation. ‘Cause I sure as hell don’t know.

That’s something right now that needs to work itself out. Last season Ram Fans were really down on Jamon Brown .

When was the last time The Rams had everyone intact for a season , let alone going into a 2nd season. With all that said there can be changes just from competition.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Saffold is a vet who has many starts under his belt at left tackle.

There's pretty much no need for him to be taking snaps away from any developing player or player they want to evaluate during preseason.
So you're right.
He probably won't see any there because he doesn't need to.

I still say if Havenstein goes down during a game, Saffold will slide over to LT and Blythe or Williams will come in at guard.

Just like they did last year.

Saffold is a pro bowl level guard but a solid left tackle. IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, Williams. He is just not big enough assuming he is still his listed weight at 6-5 305

Yeah - he is not ideal in size ! He struggles as well in a lot of ways . I think if The Rams can just find a solid backup Tackle they will be fine !!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Still The Rams have control on there home Web-Site ? TheRams.com ?
If you sign someone to a contract it means that there was no contract before, so then Lucas was a free agent, so he was not on the team since he was a free agent. Just like when we signed Suh, Shields, or Ramik to a contract, it meant that we didn't have a contract with them before, meaning that they were free agents before signing with us. I don't see why this is hard to understand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

I believe, maybe unrealistically, that one out of Eldrencamp and Lucas, and maybe both, will end up being decent backups at the very least.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Plenty of tackles play at 305 lbs., particularly in zone blocking system teams.

Umm... yeah.... that would be a no... don't think so. At least not top caliber OTs.

All at least 6'5 - 6-6 320ish etc.. And a few elites in that 6-7 330 range.

And I mean you still have to be able to play, size is not the only thing, but he needs more lead in his ass to hold up and long arms to hold off elite edge rushers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you sign someone to a contract it means that there was no contract before, so then Lucas was a free agent, so he was not on the team since he was a free agent. Just like when we signed Suh, Shields, or Ramik to a contract, it meant that we didn't have a contract with them before, meaning that they were free agents before signing with us. I don't see why this is hard to understand.

Was one of them restricted ?

My point being that there is a reason they kept him on the roster is all If not then why take some players off & leave others on it.

Connor was on & now he is off . My thinking is they are totally moving on from him.

The Rams home site sucks though at times , but I keep an eye on it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It’s not hard to understand at all !!

Darrell Williams was , he got taken off the roster. At that point I figured The Rams gave up on him ? They brought both he & Lucus Back.

My point being that there is a reason they kept Lucas on the roster is all If not then why take some players off & leave others on it.

Connor was on & now he is off . My thinking is they are totally moving on from him.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

My point being that there is a reason they kept him on the roster is all If not then why take some players off & leave others on it.

The Rams home site sucks though at times , but I keep an eye on it.
Now I see why you're saying what you've been. Word of warning, don't trust the Ram's site. Throughout the year last year they would show a player on the 53 roster and the practice squad, as they did with Fred Brown and Sam Rogers a few times. So even though it's their official website, it's not officially updated as it should be.

You brought up Barwin, and he's a good example. We all knew he was a free agent, but they still listed him as being on the roster, which obviously was wrong. The only reasoning I could come up with is that whoever sets the official website roster expected him back. That's also may be what they did with Lucas, he wasn't on the real roster, but he was on the roster on the website. By the way, he wasn't restricted in anyway as I believe that they only agreed to a one year deal last year. I'll look it up to be sure.

Okay looked up. Spotrac, nfl.com, rotoworld, and many others show Lucas as signing a rest of the year contract after the Colts game. No mention of a restricted contract, which would gel with him visiting KC before choosing to re-sign with us. If I knew how to link this would be much clearer than the muddy water I'm spreading.

Last edited: