Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is your wheelhouse sir and I do like some coming out if they are there for the Rams. Tyrell Crosby, Alex Cappa and my under the radar prospect Jamil Demby of the Black Bears of Maine. BTW I consider the Black Bears one of the best team names in College Football. Now IMO, the New England Patriots most likely will draft this guy, however, I'm counting on new Assistant WR Coach Liam Coen to provide the inside on Demby because Coen was the OC for the University of Maine from 2016-2017.

FWIW's Demby was better in the three cone drill than Crosby & Cappa, IMO, I would draft Demby in the 4th, hopefully, the Pats don't take him in the 3rd. The other reason I like the kid is he has it from the neck up and I don't believe would be overwhelmed if called upon. Again @bubbaramfan is correct, if Whitworth went down, Saffold most likely would get the call, but if the Rams draft Demby, he could move into LG and be ready for 2019.

An All-South Jersey selection and summa cum laude graduate, Demby slipped through the recruiting ranks a bit to wind up at Maine. He started 10 games at left tackle as a true freshman, then did so again in 2015. He missed the 2016 season opener with a strained PCL but returned to play in 10 games, starting nine at his left tackle spot. In his final season, Demby was a preseason CAA All-Conference selection and a third-team FCS All-American before going on to play in all 10 of the team's games. Demby isn't an elite athlete, but his intelligence and ability to punch, move his feet, and anchor in pass protection make him an intriguing prospect.

Overview
Demby is a well-built, wide-framed college tackle who projects inside to guard. He's naturally strong with some pop at the point of attack, but his ability to sustain is inconsistent due to his lack of bend and inconsistent hand usage. Demby may be more solid than good as a run blocker, but his experience at tackle and his traits in pass protection could help him stand out for a pass-heavy offense looking to shore up a leaky interior. Demby has the traits and talent to become an eventual starter.
Strengths
  • Started all four years
  • Plus muscle density in his build with broadness from chest to hips
  • Good arm length with big hands
  • Adequate explosion into fits and runs feet through contact
  • Will generate push when he keeps block centered
  • Has vision to second level
  • Enough agility to work hips into position on move blocks
  • Recognizes downhill linebackers and comes off doubles to splatter him
  • Stiff jab in his pass punch
  • Lands with heavy hands and locks it out
  • Features size and anchor to combat and absorb power rushers
  • Can redirect and recover to protect the pocket
  • Held up well at Senior Bowl in one-on-ones
  • College tackle with foot quickness to mirror athletic rushers
Weaknesses
  • Burly but not a bender
  • Can be beaten in the leverage battle
  • Narrow base as drive blocker
  • Doesn't control or sustain with snatch strength in hands
  • Pad level runs high causing inconsistencies in gaining ground to cross opponents face on move blocks
  • Below average body adjustment to second level movement
  • Needs lower punch point on opponent as hands can slide too high
  • Can get eager in pass pro and lunge forward at times
Sources Tell Us

"He definitely put himself on the map with how he handled himself at the Senior Bowl. He's a big strong dude." -- AFC Personnel Director

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamil-demby?id=32462018-0002-5601-18dd-252c254d83fe
I have Demby on my board den. When Snead was discussing OL'ers back in March Demby fit his description to he tee . With the overall small & less talented OT draft class this yr Demby will be selected higher than normal. Rams will have to take him with one of the 4th rd selections.They will not be able to sit back & let the OL'ers they desire come to them...maybe in other decades of drafts but not this year.

Since the Rams have both their starting OG's ready for a serious pay increase next March why would you not take a player like Demby? I have seen many members say we should go get players who can line up & play this season:confused:.If that is the measurement used consider drafting Ol'ers then OL'ers would never be drafted:huh:.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cornelius Lucas was never on the practice squad, the Rams signed Lucas after the first week of the season and he has been on the active roster ever sense.

Rams Sign OT Cornelius Lucas, Waive Dielman and Jefferson

Two days after the Rams dominant season opener over the Colts, the team has made a few changes to its active roster. On Tuesday, the team announced that they had signed offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas. The Rams also waived offensive lineman J.J. Dielman and defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson, as well as terminated offensive lineman, Jake Eldrenkamp from the team's practice squad.

Lucas joins a Rams offensive line that has seen a variety of changes over the past year. Head coach Sean McVay and the rest of his staff made a concentrated effort to boost the offensive line in the offseason, by adding veteran players such as left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivan. Lucas should present the team with another rotational option to improve the team's depth on the line.

The former Kansas State Wildcat was signed by the Lions as an undrafted free agent in 2014. And although he was signed to a one-year contract in April, he was released by Detroit after they were awarded two new players via waiver claims last week. Lucas played in 35 games total during his three seasons with the Lions and started in six of them.

Good call . I guess it was still Darrell Williams,Austin Blythe, & Cornelius Lucas
as backups to The Big 5 !!

The depth is just as good now as last season then ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is your wheelhouse sir and I do like some coming out if they are there for the Rams. Tyrell Crosby, Alex Cappa and my under the radar prospect Jamil Demby of the Black Bears of Maine. BTW I consider the Black Bears one of the best team names in College Football. Now IMO, the New England Patriots most likely will draft this guy, however, I'm counting on new Assistant WR Coach Liam Coen to provide the inside on Demby because Coen was the OC for the University of Maine from 2016-2017.

FWIW's Demby was better in the three cone drill than Crosby & Cappa, IMO, I would draft Demby in the 4th, hopefully, the Pats don't take him in the 3rd. The other reason I like the kid is he has it from the neck up and I don't believe would be overwhelmed if called upon. Again @bubbaramfan is correct, if Whitworth went down, Saffold most likely would get the call, but if the Rams draft Demby, he could move into LG and be ready for 2019.

An All-South Jersey selection and summa cum laude graduate, Demby slipped through the recruiting ranks a bit to wind up at Maine. He started 10 games at left tackle as a true freshman, then did so again in 2015. He missed the 2016 season opener with a strained PCL but returned to play in 10 games, starting nine at his left tackle spot. In his final season, Demby was a preseason CAA All-Conference selection and a third-team FCS All-American before going on to play in all 10 of the team's games. Demby isn't an elite athlete, but his intelligence and ability to punch, move his feet, and anchor in pass protection make him an intriguing prospect.

Overview
Demby is a well-built, wide-framed college tackle who projects inside to guard. He's naturally strong with some pop at the point of attack, but his ability to sustain is inconsistent due to his lack of bend and inconsistent hand usage. Demby may be more solid than good as a run blocker, but his experience at tackle and his traits in pass protection could help him stand out for a pass-heavy offense looking to shore up a leaky interior. Demby has the traits and talent to become an eventual starter.
Strengths
  • Started all four years
  • Plus muscle density in his build with broadness from chest to hips
  • Good arm length with big hands
  • Adequate explosion into fits and runs feet through contact
  • Will generate push when he keeps block centered
  • Has vision to second level
  • Enough agility to work hips into position on move blocks
  • Recognizes downhill linebackers and comes off doubles to splatter him
  • Stiff jab in his pass punch
  • Lands with heavy hands and locks it out
  • Features size and anchor to combat and absorb power rushers
  • Can redirect and recover to protect the pocket
  • Held up well at Senior Bowl in one-on-ones
  • College tackle with foot quickness to mirror athletic rushers
Weaknesses
  • Burly but not a bender
  • Can be beaten in the leverage battle
  • Narrow base as drive blocker
  • Doesn't control or sustain with snatch strength in hands
  • Pad level runs high causing inconsistencies in gaining ground to cross opponents face on move blocks
  • Below average body adjustment to second level movement
  • Needs lower punch point on opponent as hands can slide too high
  • Can get eager in pass pro and lunge forward at times
Sources Tell Us

"He definitely put himself on the map with how he handled himself at the Senior Bowl. He's a big strong dude." -- AFC Personnel Director

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamil-demby?id=32462018-0002-5601-18dd-252c254d83fe

It’s funny how The Rams have so many connections. Maine vs EasTern Washington last season.
Snead liked West Texas guys as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It’s funny how The Rams have so many connections. Maine vs EasTern Washington last season.
Snead liked West Texas guys as well.

Good point have a feeling there is some connection with former Eastern Washington Head Coach Beau Baldwin, who is now the OC at Cal Berkeley. I believe that the Rams found Ebukam when they were scouting Kupp, things tend to work out that way and Aaron Neary is also from that school, which is currently tied with Oregon State for the most players from one School on a roster as Mannion, Hekker & now Cooks are former Beavers.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Jamon Brown I still have doubts about his dedication??
I've heard this from a few others too. Might I ask why you feel this way? And don't you think that McVay would not put up with any laziness, and at the very least, not let him start? Because that would be a poor example for the rest of the team.

Basically, why don't you feel he's dedicated?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good call . I guess it was still Darrell Williams,Austin Blythe, & Cornelius Lucas
as backups to The Big 5 !!

The depth is just as good now as last season then ??
I've heard this from a few others too. Might I ask why you feel this way? And don't you think that McVay would not put up with any laziness, and at the very least, not let him start? Because that would be a poor example for the rest of the team.

Basically, why don't you feel he's dedicated?

Jamon Brown is an interesting Cat ! He is a little bit of a jockster , meaning he has other interest & seems soft at times.
Last year he had this poke move before the snap. He tends to be a bit slow, but once he gets a hold of a defender he contains well.

He came into camp a little heavy , just wonder if it was on purpose? He works hard during practice, it’s outside concerns I question a but.

This is a contract year for him , so he’ll look to be getting paid as well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't see anything as a higher priority than developmental/backup for Whit/Hav at this point. OL is crucial.
There is practically zero chance that there will be even a developmental LEFT tackle available in the third round.

Yes, OL is crucial and other teams realize that as well especially after the turnaround the Rams made last year.

Finding a developmental left tackle in the third round that can even hold a candle to Whitworth is a thousand to one shot.

dang

Legend
There is practically zero chance that there will be even a developmental LEFT tackle available in the third round.

Yes, OL is crucial and other teams realize that as well especially after the turnaround the Rams made last year.

Finding a developmental left tackle in the third round that can even hold a candle to Whitworth is a thousand to one shot.
What are your thoughts about the following OTs (projected R3/R4):

Chukwuma Okorafor W Michigan
Will Richardson NC State
Alex Cappa Humboldt St

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Will Richardson NC State
Alex Cappa Humboldt St
Sorry dude, I'm not a draftnick.

After the Rams pick the players I'll go back and read the reviews.

It's cool if that's your thing but you're fooling yourself if you think you can make any kind of real judgment as a hobbyist compared to the real Scouts that are following these guys for years and are professionals at evaluating talent.

And then you even have to look at how wrong they can be and how often.

I'm not trying to discourage anybody if that's their thing just like some people love to pay attention to contracts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Then Snead better find a way to get Rodger Saffold signed back up until Snead can find a replacement for Whitworth whenever that event is needed. Saffold will earn a near 8 million this season so a good chunk of cap space will be needed to retain his services.

I do think that there is a good possibility that a few good swing OT's can be snagged with our #87 selection but I hold very little hope that by the third day Saturday any swing OT's will be there thus your prognosis stands to be very on target..

There is always the slight opportunity that a Jake Mathews or a Taylor Lewan can be purchased but @ a high damaging cost. If Nate Solder can get an easy four year, $62 million contract then these other two will be up close to 75 million plus received approx $45 million in full guarantees cash.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Will Richardson NC State
Alex Cappa Humboldt St

Rams would be in good shape if they snagged Okorafor with the 3rd & land Cappa in the 4th round! (y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Will Richardson NC State
Alex Cappa Humboldt St

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry dude, I'm not a draftnick.

After the Rams pick the players I'll go back and read the reviews.

It's cool if that's your thing but you're fooling yourself if you think you can make any kind of real judgment as a hobbyist compared to the real Scouts that are following these guys for years and are professionals at evaluating talent.

And then you even have to look at how wrong they can be and how often.

I'm not trying to discourage anybody if that's their thing just like some people love to pay attention to contracts.

While being a Ram fan for years !! Also getting into these sites with fellow Ram fans over the years, I’ll say you are wrong in a lot of ways !!!

In the past regime you can look at all the mistakes & crappy fits, coaching , etc. .......
Ram Fans seem to know as much & sometimes more in player evaluation. All season coaches are stuck with there on team, they really don’t always get a good feel for the player.They might get more into the person ??

My point being with Offensive Lineman & ZERO chance late picks ??

Greg Robinson
Jason Smith
Yeah — Ram scouts. ???? Or ??????

I say there are players that can be finds late !!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Dude. Greg Robinson and Jason Smith are what is known as bad scouting and desperation, combined with lack of development and being forced to play rookies.

I told you what their plan is, (more than likely) and I think you will see it acted upon.
They will use their good Scouts and their good coaching and take a first-rounder left tackle in 2019.

They will retain Whitworth and they will retain Saffold.

Wasting a third-rounder by not taking the BPA and hoping you can develop a left tackle there still has very little chance of working.

When Friday comes I think you'll see I'm correct and if they do take a offensive lineman it'll be because they looked at him as the BPA between OL and linebacker.

And they'll still take a first-round left tackle in 2019.

McVay's Rams don't make desperation picks.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don’t believe Kromer would put Saffold at LT in no shape or form !!

Didn't he already play Saffold at left tackle?
Didn't Whitworth sit for a few plays last year and Kromer slid Saffold over to LT?

Not 100% sure but it seems like that's what happened.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think we have a better chance of finding a future starter center/guard in the third round than we do a starting left tackle.

I think right tackle is covered by Cornelius Lucas' signing.

I think left tackle is covered temporarily by Saffold sliding over.

Getting a center/guard and developing him for a year or so behind the football smart Sullivan has a better chance of working than reaching for a 100 to 1 shot left tackle in the third.

(And yes, I changed my odds from 1000 to 1 to 100 to 1. :D )

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Didn't he already play Saffold at left tackle?
Didn't Whitworth sit for a few plays last year and Kromer slid Saffold over to LT?

Not 100% sure but it seems like that's what happened.

I don’t believe so . I thought Darrel Williams was brought in .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think we have a better chance of finding a future starter center/guard in the third round than we do a starting left tackle.

I think right tackle is covered by Cornelius Lucas' signing.

I think left tackle is covered temporarily by Saffold sliding over.

Getting a center/guard and developing him for a year or so behind the football smart Sullivan has a better chance of working than reaching for a 100 to 1 shot left tackle in the third.

(And yes, I changed my odds from 1000 to 1 to 100 to 1. :D )

I don’t think The Rams could be anymore loaded at Center / Guard after Sullivan resigning !! A OG/OT is what is needed !!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don’t think The Rams could be anymore loaded at Center / Guard after Sullivan resigning !! A OG/OT is what is needed !!
Are you familiar with Sullivan's back history?

Who is this backup guard that you're impressed with?

Plus remember Jamon Brown is going to need to be re-signed soon enough.