Back to Davis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Nope, neither Hill or Davis can win a SB IMHO. Time to see what Keenum can do.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm pretty surprised how quickly so many are turning on Hill. It doesn't seem like some are fairly representing his play.

Everyone realises this was a blowout that was stolen from Hill and the Rams by penalties and a blocked kick, no? Two TDs called back and a blocked kick? Remember? 17 points off the board?

If anyone thinks Hill will play better than that, it's sure not me. He did exactly what I expected. He was under pass rush pressure damn near every down. He made some beautiful passes and several on the run. He hit receivers in stride and anticipated them being open. He worked the pocket like the experienced pro he is.

He also made some bad passes. I counted 8. One ended the game. A game where he could have could have been kneeling and not passing.

But, down by two scores in the 4th Q and what, 8 minutes left or so, Hill leads the team to only one score down and then again to the 5 yard line with a beautiful catch by Britt.

I'm also not wild about Schotty calling a pass with the game on the line and a tie a sure thing. Hill IS the backup QB, the Chargers do have a great passing D, and any remaining playoff hopes were on the line. If there is a time to be conservative, that would have been it. We did have Tre Mason and Bam Bam. Lots of bad things can happen on pass plays like interceptions and strip sacks where our RBs haven't been turning the ball over.

After rewatching the game, I'm still convinced the Rams are an asskicking team! Man they played hard! If Robinson had more experience, Rams win that game. If the Refs don't make some key bad calls, Rams win that game. If Hill sees that free floating defender, waits two more steps to throw, or Schotty calls a run, Rams might win that game. Heartbreaker.

I can tell you from what I've been reading, Charger fans now respect the Rams.

Ah well, it was a freaking exciting game. At least the Rams are really competing. I'm looking forward to sweeping the rest of the season!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK, guys.

Neither is the answer at QB.

And 2015 has me very concerned.

Free agent market for QBs is really bad.

Not the best crop of kids coming out of college.

Where do we go from here?

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
If you want a winner, call up Tebow. ;)

My problem is we can't keep switching back and forth between two quarterbacks every time the other one makes a bad decision. What kind of message would that give the players? I think we're stuck with Hill for the rest of the season; for worse or for better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Simple really. The thread is about the two QBs. He made a great play on a terrible pass. I wasn't dissing Sted at all. That was the second time we've seen him do that. Wasn't the first one called back too? Don't recall.

This might be a thread about two QBs but we were discussing Sted. I just think there was no reason to take a compliment and use it to attack another player. Hill played terribly. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

I agree. My only point is that his height is not an issue. His field awareness and footwork may be. He doesn't have ideal height - of course. But there are things you can learn. Obviously height isn't one of them but saying his height is the issue, IMO doesn't really hold water.

Height is an issue. Being able to learn to compensate for that height in unique situations doesn't mean that the issue isn't his height. Drew Brees's height is an issue. He's just found a way to overcome it. Davis's height is an issue...and thus far, he has not figured out how to overcome it.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Look at what Stedman Bailey did today. You don't bring Davis back. He doesn't stand in the pocket and allow routes to develop in the same way that Hill does. I'd rather see our young WRs develop. Hill helps more with that than Davis.

I respect opinions here, but frankly I think yelling for Davis after one game is a knee-jerk reaction...I'd rather stay with Hill at this point...As always with me though, that's just my opinion...

Ramathon

I agree. My only point is that his height is not an issue. His field awareness and footwork may be. He doesn't have ideal height - of course. But there are things you can learn. Obviously height isn't one of them but saying his height is the issue, IMO doesn't really hold water.

Wasn't Warner 'only' 6'2"?

I tend to think the whole height thing is a non-issue also. Seems to me it's one of things where more is probably always better, but not having 'prototype' height isn't necessarily a detriment.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This might be a thread about two QBs but we were discussing Sted. I just think there was no reason to take a compliment and use it to attack another player. Hill played terribly. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Wait just a minute. Because YOU bring Sted into the conversation about two QBs my making an observation about the catch as it pertains to the subject at hand is somehow attacking a player when you yourself dismiss Davis as it pertains to Quick's emergence in the very same post? Seriously man. You are taking your position way too seriously.

Height is an issue. Being able to learn to compensate for that height in unique situations doesn't mean that the issue isn't his height. Drew Brees's height is an issue. He's just found a way to overcome it. Davis's height is an issue...and thus far, he has not figured out how to overcome it.

I already said he doesn't have ideal height. Absolutely figuring out how to overcome less than ideal height is something he has to do but come on man. Look around the league. 6'2" is not exactly an oddity. Brees, Romo, Wilson, Dalton, Aaron freaking Rodgers.... the list of QBs past and present coming in at less than ideal height is long and varied. I don't know if Davis has the ability to progress and frankly I'm skeptical too. He will have to learn how to manipulate the pocket, blocking schemes will have to be adjusted - much like what they do for Brees, etc... But you are the one who dismissed him due to his height.
Davis is too short. His field vision on routes over the middle sucks...especially with our shorter WRs...i.e. Austin and Bailey.

BTW - is my saying Hill's passes to Sted were terrible more attacking of Hill than your saying this about Davis? I don't think so at all.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bailey had a big day for sure, but the emergence of Brian Quick happened under Davis.
Not exactly true. In the opening half of the season, Hill hit Quick for 4 receptions and 70 yards. His season high for yardage in a game with Davis was 87 yards, 1 other time was 74 and the other 3 complete games were significantly less. If anything, you may say he regressed under Davis

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at what Stedman Bailey did today. You don't bring Davis back. He doesn't stand in the pocket and allow routes to develop in the same way that Hill does. I'd rather see our young WRs develop. Hill helps more with that than Davis.
This.
Why is everyone concerned with Davis getting experienced? How about the rest of the players? Hill is ugly to watch but he throws the ball downfield, gives his WR more opps. Again, he's not good and I sure hopefor an upgrade. But the rest of this season I agree that the WR/TE will develop more with Hill then Davis

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The best you can say for either of our Qb's right now is he sucks less

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If only I had a dollar for every guy who didn't have the measurable 's that turned out to be awesome......

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well my take is pretty simple here...

Hill is holding this offense back just like Davis did. The difference is that he is less prone to turnovers which is a significant difference between the two. His ability to better help the WRs develop is a good point, however I see that and some other differences as secondary considerations between the two.

Davis is a huge disappointment to me because his play degraded as the weeks went on. He made this roster and took that job to begin with because he was doing a great job of anticipating what the defenses were doing, and sustaining drives with key throws. I'm sure that had a lot to do with teams taking away the stuff he was good at, but overall I don't see him having the potential to be "the guy" thus there's no real reason to stick him back in there.

What I'd really like to hear is what they really thought of Gilbert. He has the raw tools, but I'm curious what they think of his ability to process and read defenses. He does seem like a slow starter, struggled with Texas and even before he found his niche and started playing to the point where June Jones talked him up he struggled a bit. Is he an under-the-radar option for the Rams next year in camp at least as a competition for roster guy?

Either way, Rams need to draft a QB high. Plain and simple IMO it's just unavoidable.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I'm not giving up on Hill but at this point why would you not play Keenum and see what he can do? He is young and played OK when he was given a chance on a crap Houston team.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Hill makes the throw and scores you woudnt be saying this.

Hypotheticals are one thing. You can only gauge a player on the plays they make. Hill made an error that simply couldn't be made in that situation.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Nope. We've seen everything Davis has to offer. It is slightly below average. IF ANY looks at a different QB this year are needed at some point, I for one would like to see what Keenum looks like. Like you said, what is there left to lose with a record of 4-7. I do however feel hill needs 3 more games to see what he is AS A RAM, and then if we feel the need, lets give Keenum some looks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The difference is that he is less prone to turnovers which is a significant difference between the two.
I'm not really going to argue with your main points as I tend to agree with them for the most part. I don't know what Gilbert has or could have but at this point, I'm not so set on either of our other two that I wouldn't mind seeing what either he or Keenum have to offer. But I don't see what the coaches do/did in practices.

I pulled the part I did because you are not the only one who brought this up. Yeah - Davis had some serious turnover issues - especially in his last couple of games. But look at who he has played against vs Hill.

Aside from Minn whom they each had an INT against, two of the three teams we've faced with the least turnovers are Denver and San Diego. Denver has a good pass rush and decent DBs but we man handled them in every aspect, played very safe offense, and still only came away with one touchdown. San Diego has virtually no pass rush and very few turnovers. In fact they had 2 total turnovers in the previous five games.

Compare that with the teams Davis went up against. Philly who has the second most sacks in the NFL, San Fran who leads the league in INTs and has the fourth best defense in the NFL, Seattle with the third best defense in the NFL, KC who is allowing the least passing yards in the NFL, Arizona who has the fourth most INTs in the league (one less than San Fran).

So Hill has a good game against Denver but has as many turnovers in one game against a fairly weak San Diego team as Davis has had in any of his games. And I would say from my standpoint at least, that pick by Hill at the end of the game was every bit as devastating as a pick 6 - maybe more. And he had a fumble for a TD.

Personally though I hope for the best with Hill as our QB, I don't see anything that really says to me that he is either less of a turnover problem or a better option for moving this team forward. The eye test? I thought he looked awful yesterday against a pretty subpar defense.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
IDK, guys.

Neither is the answer at QB.

And 2015 has me very concerned.

Free agent market for QBs is really bad.

Not the best crop of kids coming out of college.

Where do we go from here?
you know exactly where bro. and so does Fisher. Bradford or die