Back Mocking SYG 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Sory that I have been less active this year but school takes up most of my time. I'm sure draft trades will happen, but with all the variables they are hard to project for mock purposes so I'll leave them out. Long winded as usual, but I hope it sparks some discussion about players that haven't been talked up on the board. As always I try to post some of their tape when available, so people can see their skills with their own eyes. Tear it up!

Cuts
Mark Barron (-$7m): Personally I think would keep him over Ogletree because of his ability to cover and his fit in today's NFL, but it doesn't seem like the Rams agree with me. I don't see the Rams spending big on his replacement in terms of capital in Free Agency or the draft. The Rams project to have an expensive defense and they can save some money with Littleton or a mid-round rookie. I'm higher on Littleton than most. He has started games every year of his career and just makes plays whenever he gets to play in the preseason or regular season through sacks, forced fumbles, interceptions, punt blocks etc. Let's not forget Littleton is a natural edge rusher and is just scraping the surface as an off the ball LB

Tavon Austin
(-$3m): duh

Free Agency

Sammy Watkins WR, Rams (1yr/$10m): Doesn't have $10m stats, but he has at least $10m talent and that sort of impact on the Rams. I imagine this deal being like the incentive-laden deal Alshon Jeffrey signed last offseason. Taylor Gabriel and John Brown are names to look at if the Rams cant get something done. Both would be good fits with their speed platooning with Reynolds who would replace Watkins size and red zone ability.

Bashaud Breeland, CB, Redskins
(4yr/$10m): CB core with Breeland and Peters two CBs who are allegedly hard to deal with? Good thing the Rams have the Breeland whisperer on their coaching staff in Aubrey Pleasant. Pleasant's and Breeland's relationship runs deep. Breeland used to watch hours of film with Pleasant when he was just a quality control coach and word is Plesant was the only guy who could reach him. Barry and McVay also have experience with him as members of the Skins staff. From a football perspective, he is a great compliment to Peters. Where the CBs line up will be matchup dependent, but it helps that Breeland spends most of his time at RCB while Peters plays on the left like Tru and Talib. Breeland is also at his best in press man while Peters plays more off, so they compliment each other in that way as well.

Junior Galette, EDGE, Redskins
(2yr/$4m): Another guy with a ton of connections to the Rams staff. Bill Johnson was his DL coach in his best years with the Saints and Barry and McVay were on the team that brought him in before his Achilles. Coming off two Achilles injuries Galette still had a pretty good year. At the least, he gives the Rams a designated pass rusher and someone they can rotate in at OLB.

Nickell Robey-Coleman, CB, Rams
(3yr/$3.5m): The final piece of a potentially elite secondary.

John Sulivan, C, Rams (2yr/$2.5m): Rams need to start developing his replacement, but he can still play and his veteran presence is crucial

Tenders to: Troy Hill, Matt Longacre, Malcolm Brown

Draft
1. Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College

Landry fits the profile of a Wade Phillips edge rusher to a tee. At this stage of his career, he kind of wins like a younger Robert Quinn because his go-to move uses his elite speed, bend, and quickness off the edge. Unlike Quinn he has some experience dropping in coverage, playing standing up, and is equally as effective playing on the left or right side of the line. When healthy Landry is an edge rushing beast and the Rams are lucky they get him at 23 coming off a down injury ridden 2017 season. I think he starts immediately at WOLB

3. Shaquem Griffin, LB, UCF

Talked up Littleton just to draft his replacement? Not necessarily, Griffin is moveable chess piece who can fill many roles in Phillips defense. Griffin plays with a great motor and you can tell he watches hours of film, but what truly makes him special is his acceleration. He closes on ball carriers like a missile and brings bad intentions. Sometimes he closes too fast and he overruns the play, but he is still disruptive. With his elite acceleration, I can see him playing ILB, OLB, even box safety depending on the situation. Wade has said in the past "the really good ones can accelerate" so I'm sure he will find snaps for Griffin. That closing speed was on display all game against Snead's Alma matter where he was used as a pass rusher and a spy on the QB. Additionally, when Keyshawn asked Snead on the radio who he was looking forward seeing to even before his incredible workout Snead mentioned he wanted to shake Griffin's hand because it was inspirational how he turned his disability into a strength. Stars are lining up on this one and he plays his twin twice a year.

4. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hayes State

Many people on the board have advocated for spending significant resources at NT. I couldn't disagree more. IMO as currently constructed NT is the least valuable starter on the roster. Rams rotate their DL and don't play the NT all 3 downs, so the starting of NTs only play 20-30 snaps by far the lowest snap percentage of any starting position and fewer than some backups. Maybe you could justify a third interior lineman playing more passing snaps, but that guy is playing behind Brockers and Donald. Fox and Westbrooks are underrated depth pieces who deserve snaps as well. What the Rams really need is a guy to come in and play a role. Now that nose tackle rant is over on to Shepherd. In his short time in the senior bowl before he was injured Shepherd showed he could hang playing at a higher level. Shepherd is raw, but powerful and can 1 and 2 gap. If he reaches his ceiling Wade can use him how he used Jay Ratliff in Dallas. I could see him going earlier, but he is an older prospect which isn't a good combo with how raw he is. He situation and frame remind me of David Onyemataa and Akiem Hicks two big strong, athletic small school DTs that DL Coach Bill Johnson coached into solid starters.

5. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville

By now everyone should know there is very little long-term stability on the Rams OL. Christian is a bit of a project, but Snead and Kroemer seem to like what Louisville does with their OL. In Louisville's system, their tackles get experience on both sides of the line, which is good for the Rams who need a swing tackle. Even if Christian cant develop into something more than a swing tackle this pick will be worthwhile since swing tackle is probably one of the most important depth positions.

6. Colby Gossett, OG, Appalachian State

Gossett is a big guy with power who can move. Exactly what the Rams look for in their OL.

6. Marquez Carter, RB, Grambling State

I could see the Rams selecting an explosive compliment RB to Gurley as soon as round 3. McVay has mentioned several times keeping Gurley fresh, so RB is an underrated need. Dunbar couldn't stay healthy long enough to make an impact and Tavon wasn't a perfect fit there either. Carter gives McVay a Chris Thompson like talent who has the speed, explosiveness, and quickness to to impact the game out of the backfield as a receiving and running compliment to Gurley.

6. Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia

Harrison has a lot of talent, but also alot of baggage. I'm projecting him as the 10th lineman, so he may not make the final 53. At the least, his talent is worth developing as a member of the practice squad.

6. Dejon Allen, OL, Hawaii
allen.jpg

Allen played all along the line, most recently tackle where he was one of the better pass protectors in college football. At 6'2 295 he is moving inside in the nfl. He has the movement skills to play either center or guard in the rams zone scheme.

Depth Chart
QB: Goff, Mannion, Allen
RB: Gurley, Carter, Brown
X WR: Watkins, Thomas
Z WR: Woods, Reynolds
Y WR: Kupp, Cooper
LT: Whitworth, Christian
LG: Saffold, Allen
C: Sullivan, Blythe
RG: Brown, Gossett
RT: Havenstein, Harrison

DE: Brockers, Fox
NT: Westbrooks, Shepherd
DT: Donald, Smart
SLB: Ebukam, Galette
MIKE: Ogletree, Hager
MO: Littleton, Griffin
WLB: Landry, Longacre, Price
LCB: Peters, Robey-Coleman, Peterson
RCB: Breeland, Hill, Webster
FS: Joyner, Countess
SS: Johnson, Christian

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question on your free agents. The years/money is that money per year? I'm thinking NRC and Gillette offers might be a little light. I like the signings and the draft though I might throw in a late round CB. Good work!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Very strong. And welcome back to the fray.

I may value a big run stuffing NT higher but I like what you’ve done here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't argue with the first two picks (Landry is actually my pick at #23 in the mock that I currently am sitting on). I'm not sure I'm comfortable with $10 million per year for Breeland, but that's likely close to his going rate. It's a good mock. However, I think Harrison probably goes earlier despite the baggage. There are just too few LTs in the NFL. Teams are desperate.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Question on your free agents. The years/money is that money per year? I'm thinking NRC and Gillette offers might be a little light. I like the signings and the draft though I might throw in a late round CB. Good work!

Wondering the same thing, love the players but the money seems lite. Like the mock too.

NCRF

UDFA
Name
Pete
Taylor Gabriel would be a good replacement for Tavon Austin.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FA set up is years and followed by the amount of money per year.

I could see Galette making more since pass rushers are so valuable and there aren't many available. However, Galette is 30, a year removed from back to back years with torn Achilles, and has some character issues.

NRC is a good nickel corner, but I don't see a ton of teams spending big on 5'7 Nickell back. Last year was his best year, but the year before teams weren't clamoring to sign him and the Rams were able to sign him cheaply late in Free Agency.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You really think Brown is getting beat out by Marquez Collins? Not so sure about the depth chart on that but like the pick in the 6th