Ayers Brings Championship Mentality to Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LINK

tempayers1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

The Rams made a few significant roster moves at the start of the free agency period, headlined by the additions of quarterback Nick Foles and defensive lineman Nick Fairley. So while the signing of Akeem Ayersmay appear to be an undercard, the linebacker has the potential to help a strong defense reach new heights.

Ayers is headed into his fifth pro season, having been drafted by the Titans in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft out of UCLA. Tennessee traded him to New England in October of last year, and Ayers went on to play a key role for the eventual Super Bowl XLIX Champions.

“I learned a lot just from my short time there,” Ayers said after an OTA session last week. “They are a team that prepares very well. That’s the way they coach the players.”

Ayers tallied 4.0 sacks for the Patriots in nine games, the most he’d registered since 2012 when he had 6.0.

“Once I got to New England I hit the ground running and haven’t looked back since,” Ayers said.

The linebacker recounted that he had preliminary discussions with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick about returning, but wanted to see his options on the open market. And once he visited the Rams, he knew St. Louis was the right team for him.

One reason why was his familiarity with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and linebackers coach Frank Bush, both of whom Ayers had worked with in Tennessee. Williams was a Titans senior defensive assistant in 2013, and Bush was Ayers’ position coach from 2011-2012.

“When Gregg put in some of his wrinkles, I remember I really liked it and I felt at the time that’s what I was comfortable doing,” Ayers said. “Bush really helped me make that jump from my first year to second year. My second year, I feel, was one of the best years I’ve had and that’s really because his coaching style helped me learn a lot, helped me understand, and helped me play at a high level.”

Another advantage the linebacker has with the Rams is the team’s many returning players. Ayers said one of his goals at OTAs has been to prove to his teammates that he’s worthy to be a part of what evolved into an excellent unit last year.

“Everyone around me has been in this defense,” Ayers said. “They are comfortable and good at communicating with each other, so it really allows me to come in and focus on what I need to focus on -- getting the scheme right, my technique, and the little things to help me get on track.”

The Patriots primarily featured Ayers as a pass rusher in 2014, so he’ll have to adjust to being out in coverage once again. But the linebacker said he actually thinks getting after the quarterback is not his biggest strength on the field.

“Covering, playing zone, and catching is something that I’m natural with and comfortable with,” Ayers said. “All I did was rush last year, so it is on me to get back and get into the groove of it.”

Even though Ayers has to recalibrate a bit coming to the Rams, he gained invaluable experience as a member of a championship team. He said that gives him some perspective on what leads to success in the NFL, especially because he’s also been on a team that won only two games in a season.

“I think I really have a good view on how a team that does it right -- how it looks, how they prepare, and how they work -- and what teams who don’t make the playoffs look like,” Ayers said.

“I went to New England and I saw how they did it,” he continued. “There were times when we were down by 14 and no one panicked. They had been there before. They had the confidence that they were going to come back, put it together, and win a game. I think that’s the biggest thing -- just knowing what you’re doing and really being a smart team.”

Ayers was in attendance to receive his Super Bowl ring in Massachusetts over the weekend, and said he might bring it to Rams Park as a motivational tool. But these players may not even need it. Ayers said while the Rams are young, they appear to be on the right road to success.

“This team has all the ability, and all the talent, and everything you need,” he said. “But it can’t just be the offense, and it can’t just be the defense -- it has to be us as a team having that confidence and that mindset that you’re going to win.”

Alan

Legend
“Bush really helped me make that jump from my first year to second year. My second year, I feel, was one of the best years I’ve had and that’s really because his coaching style helped me learn a lot, helped me understand, and helped me play at a high level.”

Frank Bush appears to be a very good pick up.

Alan

Legend
I know I've said this before but I gotta say I'm really excited about him replacing Dunbar. He brings so much more to the table and their faults are the same.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“When Gregg put in some of his wrinkles, I remember I really liked it and I felt at the time that’s what I was comfortable doing,” Ayers said. “Bush really helped me make that jump from my first year to second year. My second year, I feel, was one of the best years I’ve had and that’s really because his coaching style helped me learn a lot, helped me understand, and helped me play at a high level.”
Agree with @Alan above, this does feel reassuring and make a fan respect our staff...still curious how they couldn't get through to Ray-Ray?

“This team has all the ability, and all the talent, and everything you need,” he said. “But it can’t just be the offense, and it can’t just be the defense -- it has to be us as a team having that confidence and that mindset that you’re going to win.”
Agreed....a lot of talent on all levels...some unproven talent on offense however....

RamzFanz

Damnit
Um... what? He was at his very best as a pass rusher, why would they change that? It's the ONLY reason I liked this signing.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Um... what? He was at his very best as a pass rusher, why would they change that? It's the ONLY reason I liked this signing.

They aren't really changing anything, just adding on. He's in a Gregg Williams defense, he's still rushing the passer a lot. The thing is, he's going to play a very blitz heavy 4-3 OLB role here, where as he played 3-4 OLB there. So by the nature of the position, he's just going to have to cover a little more, since he rushed nearly every snap over there. It's just not something he's done too much in some time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, I thinking like you, I hope they use him to rush the passer, esp. on 1st & 2nd downs...What I'm interested in seeing is can he defend the run, and is he ready for pass coverage duties. Or will he go off the field in favor of JL55 or even Barron?

The thing is, he's going to play a very blitz heavy 4-3 OLB role here, where as he played 3-4 OLB there. So by the nature of the position, he's just going to have to cover a little more,
I think he'll do well in coverage, I saw a lil of that at NE. Will it mean more snaps for Akeem on passing downs/situations? Can't wait to find out.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ed-championship-experience-to-the-rams-061615

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Bush really helped me make that jump from my first year to second year. My second year, I feel, was one of the best years I’ve had and that’s really because his coaching style helped me learn a lot, helped me understand, and helped me play at a high level.”

Frank Bush appears to be a very good pick up.
Yeah... you can never go wrong with bush... I am a big fan of bush myself. :whistle::sneaky:

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt liking nonsentient beings:
Yeah... you can never go wrong with bush... I am a big fan of bush myself. :whistle::sneaky:
We'll get another chance to elect a house plant in 2016 too. :banana: :snicker:

RamBill

Legend
Ayers calls Rams a good fit for him
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5a8867fa-8859-56db-9355-280e9a694f45.html

Akeem Ayers spent half of his 2014 season with the Tennessee Titans, a team that would finish 2-14.

Following a late October trade, he spent the rest of the season with a team that went on to win the Super Bowl — the New England Patriots.

“So I’ve been from the bottom to the top,” said Ayers, the Rams’ new starting outside linebacker. “I really have a good view on how a team does it right. How it looks, how they prepare, and how they work.”

He plans to bring some of that understanding and advice to St. Louis — not to mention the Patriots’ gaudy Super Bowl XLIX championship ring he picked up Sunday at festivities in Foxborough, Mass.

“I think that’s some good motivation, somebody who you’re playing with who just recently won a Super Bowl and a young guy,” said Ayers, who turns 26 next month. “I think everybody would love to see (the ring) and just get some motivation.”

As coach Jeff Fisher sees it, all that will come in time. Right now, Fisher’s more interested in seeing sacks and tackles from Ayers than Super Bowl bling.

“I don’t think he’s gonna stand up and say anything about it now,” Fisher said. “But we’re all happy for anyone that comes in the building that’s had that (Super Bowl) experience. I think in time it would be beneficial, but we’ll let him choose that time.”

If nothing else, Ayers’ experience in 2014, when he went from being unwanted and unused by one of the league’s worst teams to being a valuable role player with the eventual NFL champions, showed how small the margin is between winning and losing at this level.

“Everybody has the talent,” Ayers said. “It’s just the teams who put the extra work in. I think it’s more of the film study and just having a smart team. When you have a smart team and you have a team that plays with a lot of confidence, that’s the biggest thing.”

Drafted in the second round (No. 39 overall) by the Titans out of UCLA in 2011, Ayers played in all 48 games with 43 starts during his first three seasons in Tennessee. But a coaching staff change after the ’13 season and patellar tendon operations on both knees doomed him in Tennessee last season.

Ayers wasn’t able to participate in practice until the start of training camp, so new coach Ken Whisenhunt and his staff really didn’t know first-hand what Ayers could do.

“New defensive coaching staff,” Ayers said. “New scheme — we switched to a 3-4 that year. I pretty much had a late start, and I guess they didn’t have time to wait. But it ended up working out.”

Ayers played in only two of the Titans’ first seven games before the trade last Oct. 21 that sent him to New England.

“I was excited just to get out of there period, honestly,” Ayers said. “I’d seen where it was going early on, and I requested a trade early on in the season.”

At the time he was traded to New England, Ayers was not only back to full health but back in football shape. He clicked almost immediately with the Patriots, registering sacks in three of his first four games there. He appeared in all nine regular-season games for New England, including four starts, and finished with four sacks and an interception.

Ayers became expendable this offseason when the Patriots signed Jaball Sheard in free agency, but he’s thankful for the opportunity that revived his career in New England.

“It was great,” Ayers said. “I learned a lot in my short time there.”

St. Louis was his one and only visit in free agency, and he ended up signing a two-year deal that includes $2.75 million in guaranteed money and can max out at $9.2 million if all incentives are met.

“After I came here, it really was a no-brainer for me,” Ayers said. “I feel like this defense is something I can thrive in.”

His position coach with the Rams, Frank Bush, was his linebackers coach in Tennessee in 2011 and ’12. And Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was a senior defensive assistant for the Titans in 2013. That familiarity helped Ayers make his decision.

“(Bush) really helped me make that jump from my first year to my second year,” Ayers said.

In that 2012 season, Bush registered career highs in tackles (104) and sacks (six), while also coming up with an interception and eight pass breakups.

Ayers is expected to start ahead of Jo-Lonn Dunbar at strong side linebacker, adding yet another talented pass-rusher to the group.

“Akeem in Tennessee played behind the (line) and he rushed and he did everything,” Fisher said. “Then at New England he primarily was a rusher. Did some dropping (in coverage) but was primarily a rusher.

“He’s got the ability, and as you know, in our defense our linebackers are blitzers and they rush. So he’s got the ability to do both. He’s a big man and he runs well. He’s smart and he strong, so I think he fits.”

And he’s got the ring to show he’s won at the highest level.