Av’s Crazy Early 2024 Rams Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It’s ridiculously early, I know, and we don’t know where the Rams’ picks will be slotted, or which prospects will fall. Disclaimers aside, though, here’s an early mock of the Rams first five picks of 2024:

Round 1: Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Right now, EDGE presents as the greatest need. Latu would fill that void nicely. In addition to his pass rush skills (15.5 sacks within past 17 games), he has the size (6’5, 265 lbs) and range to set the edge and handle occasional coverage duties. Put him opposite Byron Young, and we could have the bookends we need (with, hopefully, Aaron Donald in front of them for another year or two).

Round 2: Trey Benson, RB, Florida State
The Rams go back to the well with a FSU running back. I think Benson has the qualities that Sean McVay deems essential (ability to pass block, credible threat as a receiver), good size (6’1, 215 lbs.) and the big play speed that Kyren Williams lacks.

Round 3: Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College

Steve Avila has added a lot to the offensive line as a rookie. What if we had another player like him at the RG spot? Mahogany is experienced, well rounded as a run and pass blocker, and has great size (6’3, 335 lbs.). Could go higher, but this is a spot where I’d definitely be looking at OL.

Round 5: Keith Randolph, Jr., DT, Illinois

Adding to the DT rotation seems like a good idea, both from the standpoint of maintaining a strong run defense, and to prepare for life after Donald. Randolph is another well-rounded player who could come in and contribute

Round 5:
Jaylan Ford, ILB, Texas
To round out our first five picks, we get some ILB help next to Ernest Jones. Ford is rangy and productive, and could be an instant upgrade over Christian Rozeboom. Probably a guy you rotate our on passing downs, but would add punch to the run defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a FA Left Tackle you're signing or are we still rolling the dice there?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there a FA Left Tackle you're signing or are we still rolling the dice there?
Good question.

After I went EDGE with the first selection, I had trouble slotting in a LT on day 2 who I really liked. That could, of course, change over time.

Do I think AJ Jackson or Joe Noteboom is the long-term answer? Let’s just say I’m skeptical.

One possible option is Tyron Smith. He’ll be a 33 year old UFA this offseason. Perhaps the Cowboys will let him go and we can squeeze a few good years out of him, much as we did with Andrew Whitworth (who we signed at age 35).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good question.

After I went EDGE with the first selection, I had trouble slotting in a LT on day 2 who I really liked. That could, of course, change over time.

Do I think AJ Jackson or Joe Noteboom is the long-term answer? Let’s just say I’m skeptical.

One possible option is Tyron Smith. He’ll be a 33 year old UFA this offseason. Perhaps the Cowboys will let him go and we can squeeze a few good years out of him, much as we did with Andrew Whitworth (who we signed at age 35).
I think if you add up the last 4 years Smith has played a full season. Major difference from Whit hard pass from me. Whit was the exception to the older OL

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think if you add up the last 4 years Smith has played a full season. Major difference from Whit hard pass from me. Whit was the exception to the older OL
Sure, there’d be risk, but he could come in at a reasonable price as a result. When healthy (big asterisk) he’s still a top LT.

You’re correct, though, that Whit was far more durable before we signed him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, there’d be risk, but he could come in at a reasonable price as a result. When healthy (big asterisk) he’s still a top LT.

You’re correct, though, that Whit was far more durable before we signed him.
I'd rather roll the dice with a guy who could be around for a while than a guy who hasn't been available for the last few years and is Smith's age. I'll have to look at the free agent OL list.

Yuck
the only listed LT free agents are Smith, Duane Brown, Cornelius Lucas and Donovan Smith. Draft is it. In 2025 Rashawn Slater and Tristan Wirfs are free agents not sure we can get them though plus that's another year away and to get them in this off season would take our 1st.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd look at Cooper Beebe with our third round pick, personally. He's actually held up quite well at left tackle for the Kansas State Wildcats, but has played a solid right guard as well. I'm definitely more of a fan of him than any other Day 2 O-lineman.

As for the first round pick, I have to disagree. There's plenty of talented edge rushers in free agency, including a few around the same age as Byron Young and Kobie Turner, and we'll have plenty of cap to sign them.

What I'm most concerned about - and I've made it known - is Aaron Donald's replacement. Turner gets nice pressure, but I want someone who can utterly dominate the line of scrimmage. I've made no secret of my desire of Jer'Zahn Newton. That's who I'd go after with my first. If not him, then the BYU left tackle.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've never really been a fan of draft mocks where the OP hasn't already spelled out who/what they hope to acquire in free agency. After all, free agency comes before the draft. At the moment the Rams are currently scheduled to have some $47.M.+ in available F/A CAP funds available to spend in 2024 (per spotrac), and if we are able to scrub Brian Allen & Noteboom from our books, that figure grows significantly higher. The only potential UFA free agents of our own I'd like to bring back with new contracts are WR Demarcus Robinson, OG Kevin Dotson, CB Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Duke Shelley & DT Larrell Murchison, ... the return of these guys should be relatively inexpensive. Considering our improved financial CAP situation and any free agents signed to long term contracts, 2024 should see our team acquire a couple of very good players.
jmo.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I've never really been a fan of draft mocks where the OP hasn't already spelled out who/what they hope to acquire in free agency. After all, free agency comes before the draft. At the moment the Rams are currently scheduled to have some $47.M.+ in available F/A CAP funds available to spend in 2024 (per spotrac), and if we are able to scrub Brian Allen & Noteboom from our books, that figure grows significantly higher. The only potential UFA free agents of our own I'd like to bring back with new contracts are WR Demarcus Robinson, OG Kevin Dotson, CB Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Duke Shelley & DT Larrell Murchison, ... the return of these guys should be relatively inexpensive. Considering our improved financial CAP situation and any free agents signed to long term contracts, 2024 should see our team acquire a couple of very good players.
jmo.
Really not that difficult. My picks presume we haven’t filled the EDGE, RB, RG or ILB spots in FA. Not necessarily indicative of us not having signed a DL, as we might wish to add multiple players there.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'd rather roll the dice with a guy who could be around for a while than a guy who hasn't been available for the last few years and is Smith's age. I'll have to look at the free agent OL list.

Yuck
the only listed LT free agents are Smith, Duane Brown, Cornelius Lucas and Donovan Smith. Draft is it. In 2025 Rashawn Slater and Tristan Wirfs are free agents not sure we can get them though plus that's another year away and to get them in this off season would take our 1st.

This is why I see LT as the most important position/need in the next draft. It’s rare to find one in FA.

As for an Edge, Young is a 3rd rounder who is showing promise. It can happen again. If not, there is always FA/trades.

I don’t see the LT position getting any better (solidified) as the year unfolds, whereas there is still a possibility in improvement at the Edge position. For starters, maybe getting in one of these young guys for a few of Heocht’s snaps.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Avenger:
Though I would prefer a LT in the 1rst round, I take no issue with grabbing an Edge guy if he’s gonna wreak havoc in the backfield. There’s no substitute for QB pressure.

Where I kinda wince is a RB in the 2nd. Admittedly, I don’t follow other teams as closely as I used to, but based on what I’ve been seeing when I watch parts of a game (non Rams) or red zone, I’m not seeing any rookie RBs starting or carrying the bulk of the load for their teams. Unless things have changed in the last couple of weeks, even bijon robinson (falcons) is the #2 back.
When you couple that with our OL being able to pass block more than run block right now, a RB is not that high of a priority (2nd round) until the OL can block better.

I DO like the idea of beefing up the interior of both lines. I would make this a constant in draft strategy if I were a GM. Pressure up the middle can be just as effective as a good Edge rusher. We can just flush the QB to the outside—as long as we don’t let him break containment. I know you only went 5 rounds, but I would certainly be looking for another big body later/UDFA to help on the IDL.

When it comes to LBs, I hope the guy is fast. That’s just the way of the NFL now. I always thought Ogletree was done a disservice by being switched to MLB when he was so fast and good at running down plays. He would have been perfect in Rozeboom’s spot.

Tano

Legend
Good question.

Cough Garrett Bolles Cough

Tano

Legend
Avenger:
Though I would prefer a LT in the 1rst round, I take no issue with grabbing an Edge guy if he’s gonna wreak havoc in the backfield. There’s no substitute for QB pressure.

Where I kinda wince is a RB in the 2nd. Admittedly, I don’t follow other teams as closely as I used to, but based on what I’ve been seeing when I watch parts of a game (non Rams) or red zone, I’m not seeing any rookie RBs starting or carrying the bulk of the load for their teams. Unless things have changed in the last couple of weeks, even bijon robinson (falcons) is the #2 back.
When you couple that with our OL being able to pass block more than run block right now, a RB is not that high of a priority (2nd round) until the OL can block better.

I DO like the idea of beefing up the interior of both lines. I would make this a constant in draft strategy if I were a GM. Pressure up the middle can be just as effective as a good Edge rusher. We can just flush the QB to the outside—as long as we don’t let him break containment. I know you only went 5 rounds, but I would certainly be looking for another big body later/UDFA to help on the IDL.

When it comes to LBs, I hope the guy is fast. That’s just the way of the NFL now. I always thought Ogletree was done a disservice by being switched to MLB when he was so fast and good at running down plays. He would have been perfect in Rozeboom’s spot.
Yeah I always thought Ogletree was out of position