Av’s 2023 Rams Mock (Version 1.0)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here is my first stab at a Rams mock. As we are pre-Combine, the slotting of players remains very fluid, so these projections are very preliminary (and, I believe I have the Rams selections, including projected Comp picks, correct, though I found conflicting information on line). I don’t do trades, by the way!

With that, here are my picks:

Round 2 (36): Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
Remember how the Rams used 224 lb. Ben Skowronek as a WR/TE/FB hybrid? Well, imagine the Rams had a guy who was 3 inches taller, 45 lbs. heavier, and faster than Skoronek who could do the same types of things, and also act as a “3rd OT” in short yardage. That’s Washington, who, mark my words, will blow up the Combine. McVay won’t be able to resist.

Round 3 (69): Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State
With their next pick, the Rams make a more conservative, sensible choice. Wypler had 26 starts at center over the past two seasons, played over 1,600 snaps, and gave up one sack. He’s a plug and play guy who could make Brian Allen instantly expendible.

Round 4 (C): Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina
This is my first, “yeah, I know he could be gone by this point” selection. That said, Rush is the type of Senior Bowl riser that the Rams have gravitated towards over the years. The CB pool is deep, so I’m hoping Rush lasts. Either way, I’d definitely be targeting the position at this point in the draft.

Round 5 (C): Israel Abanikanda, RB, Pittsburgh
I’m confident that the Rams will add a RB to their roster. Part of me thinks they will do so earlier in the draft, but there should be some good options at this point as well. Abanikanda was productive and durable at Pitt, and can catch and block. A younger and more athletic Malcolm Brown, perhaps.

Round 6 (168): Nick Herbig, OLB/EDGE, Wisconsin

Round 6 (175): Dylan Horton, EDGE, TCU

Round 6 (177): Jackson Kirkland, OG, Washington

Round 6 (C): Bryce Baringer, P, Michigan State

Round 7 (213): Kearis Jackson, WR/RS, Georgia

Round 7 (C): Chamarri Conner, S, Virginia Tech

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Washington is a mammoth human, but, he has never been terribly productive in his 3 seasons at Georgia (45 total receptions, 774 total yards, 3 TD). In all of Georgias important games this year, he has 1 single catch (in each). IMO, he is a great blocking TE prospect with potential to get some touches. I can't take a mainly blocking TE with our top pick personally. I think we need an immediate impact player with our top pick, I see Washington as more of an athletic project.

I do like some of the picks but would rather a RB like K.Miller, Ibrahim, McIntosh then Abanikanda myself. Really like the Rush and Horton picks.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get the point about Washington’s production, but then I think about guys like Jimmy’s Graham and Antonio Gates, who were primarily (Graham) or exclusively (Gates) basketball players in college before becoming NFL stars at TE. The think Washington is more of a football player than they were at this point, but has similar untapped potential.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the point about Washington’s production, but then I think about guys like Jimmy’s Graham and Antonio Gates, who were primarily (Graham) or exclusively (Gates) basketball players in college before becoming NFL stars at TE. The think Washington is more of a football player than they were at this point, but has similar untapped potential.
I get it and don't hate him. I'm just not a fan of him that early. Jimmy Graham went in 3rd and Gates was a UDFA. I'd be ok with Washington in the 3rd, he's still a project in my eyes and I don't think we have the luxury of a project at our highest pick in, I think, 6 years when we are still in the SB window.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I'll never forget Fendi Onobun. Makes me think that's not the type of player we take a huge risk on in round 2. But who knows what Snead really thinks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@AvengerRam appreciate the fact that there was not 152 trades, however, I do believe Edge needs to be earlier, but I love the RB you selected in Izzy Abanikanda and I am hoping the Rams take him because he runs hard and through people.

Abanikanda needs to improve in pass protection if as he's more of a cut blocker as opposed to sticking his face in against the blitz, but that can be corrected with the right RB Coach.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
@AvengerRam appreciate the fact that there was not 152 trades, however, I do believe Edge needs to be earlier, but I love the RB you selected in Izzy Abanikanda and I am hoping the Rams take him because he runs hard and through people.

Abanikanda needs to improve in pass protection if as he's more of a cut blocker as opposed to sticking his face in against the blitz, but that can be corrected with the right RB Coach.
Part of my motivation for waiting to take a pass rusher was my belief that we will try to add an established guy like in FA.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was listening to a draft podcast that suggested that Washington runs like an Olineman and might be moved to OT.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean he doesn't look like the most fleet of foot prospect out there, but, it would be relatively absurd to move him to full time OL. An primarily in line TE, sure. But he does have some receiving ability and that shouldn't be ignored. IMO Definitely not a 2nd rounder (for Rams) but, honestly, what do I know lol

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think his slotting will turn on his 40 time.

I’m expecting him to run in the 4.70-4.75 range. That will probably put him in round 2.

If he’s more of a 4.8+, he’ll probably be there in Round 3 or later.

If he breaks 4.7, who knows… he could go late first.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm betting closer to or above 4.8 myself from what I've seen of him. I'd be happy to be incorrect though.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4.6 at 280 is insanity. He'd be a top 50 lock and likely 1st round lock. I'd be fine with that, another guy drops to us.