Automatic First Down Penalties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rainram

Starter
Gonna a throw out a little topic for conversation (see thread title).

Every week when I watch games, I see the "Illegal Contact," "Hands to the Face," "Defensive Holding" penalties that are "5 yards and an Automatic First Down."

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think this took effect...what...5 years ago?

On one hand when a DB is completely grabbing/holding/dragging down a receiver and preventing him from running his route that could/would have resulted in a big play. I like it.

When a DLineman gets his paws all up in an OLineman's grill to the point that I'm surprised they don't have to C-Spine the guy. I'm good with it.

But in the flag-happy, protect-players-at-all-costs NFL, where everything is a flag...for every one of the aforementioned examples, there are 5 that are "ticky-tack," or "technicalities."

And on a 3rd and 15 when you got a defender trying to get pressure on the QB, if his hand so much as goes near someone's helmet, and you end up with an automatic first down. That's tough to swallow.

3rd and long and a LBer rubs a TE at about the 6-yard mark from the LOS...flag...automatic first down.

I'm torn. I know the reason the rule exists. And you don't want people taking advantage of 'laxed rules at some point. And in the extreme instances noted above, I'm all for it. But at the same time I hate seeing games changed dramatically over such menial infractions.

Kinda curious what other people's take is or what solutions are? Replays on flags? Go back to how things were with the facemask penalty, with 'more-severe' and 'less-severe' varieties? I don't know........

bskrilla

Starter
I think this is an issue we may care about more as Rams fans because we've seen it happen to us so often on ticky-tack BS.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that it shouldn't be an automatic but I'd rather just see them rule consistently on the very examples you give. On everything really. Granted, I don't watch all that much NFL football these days that doesn't include the Rams. But when I see Donald's or Long's head about to snap backward and there is no call and then see one of our guys slide a hand up into the grill and pull it back for a flag, I almost lose it..... actually, sometimes I DO lose it. And I think it is long overdue for the coaches to be able to challenge the refs.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Defensive holding resulting in a first down is the dumbest rule of all time. 3rd and 15 and you tug a guys jersey and it's a first down. Just seems like an excuse for the offense to stay on the field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's used to keep grabbing and holding in check...It would be chaos on the field without it....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
These rules are in place to prevent players from trying to break the rules make it so a team cannot convert. It keeps the defense honest so to speak. Unfortunately it is sometimes overdone.