Austin vs. Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Watching Antonio Brown last night, I kept thinking how much he looked like Austin. Quick, shifty and dangerous. Neither is very big. I think Brown is about 5'10, 185.

Like most wr's, Brown didn't break out until year 4.

We here a lot of talk about the misuse of TA. I think the kid just isn't quite ready for a star roll on the team yet, so we are limited as to what to do with him.

Athos

Legend
Like most wr's, Brown didn't break out until year 4.

Gotta disagree with you there chief. Brown only played in 9 games his rookie year. Then exploded into a starter his sophomore year when he put up an 1100 yard season with a 16.1 avg over (rounding up) 70 REC. Only thing that has stopped him from 3 straight 1000 yard campaigns was his 3rd year in the league when his missed 3 games.

And Brown was a 6th rounder. So a lot less expectation and stress.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Year 2 and 3 Averaged 65 rec.
He also had guys like Williams taking the pressure off him.

Stats aside, I see no reason why Austin couldn't developed into a wr like Brown. They look very much alike to me. Austin just needs work. I don't think he was drafted for running up the middle and end arounds. He will be a good player imo.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I wish I could see Rams game tape. love to see how many chances Tavon has to run the routes that Brown does. since when does Tavon ever get a deep route or a chance to play on the outside. never know until you give him a chance. play calling...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon can be that type of player...although not sure I'd compare him to Antonio Brown. For Austin, it's all about developing his route running and football IQ.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Tavon is doing what he's being asked of. He hasn't had any drops or mental lapses as far as I've seen. They just don't throw him the ball for some reason.

WvuIN02

Starter
Umm....really?

Ben Roethlisberger and his 2 SB rings vs any Rams QB Austin has had.....the comparison needs to stop there.

Look what Watkins was doing with Manuel, suddenly Orton steps in and he puts up huge numbers. NFL players and their stats do not exist in a vacuum. Tavon has elite top end speed, yet everything he gets is within 5-10 yards, whereas Brown is one of the best deep threats in the NFL, especially after the catch. Even within the ranks of NFL players, you can go a step further. Emmanuel Sanders career was lackluster in Pittsburgh, and he is a much better player suddenly with Manning....and Ben will likely be a HoF QB, but Manning is on his own level.

Would Steve Young have gone to the HoF if he got stuck on that Bucs team he started with? Talent in the NFL around you seems to have an exponential factor in the success of individuals, but its a team sport and thats what makes it great.

V3

Hall of Fame
Tavon is doing what he's being asked of. He hasn't had any drops or mental lapses as far as I've seen. They just don't throw him the ball for some reason.
Usually because he's not that open. He's still not a good route runner, IMO. It looks like he doesn't run full speed on many of his routes, too. Might be wrong on that one. I've just noticed a few times that it looked that way.

Athos

Legend
Usually because he's not that open. He's still not a good route runner, IMO. It looks like he doesn't run full speed on many of his routes, too. Might be wrong on that one. I've just noticed a few times that it looked that way.

Needs to watch him some TY Hilton tape.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Umm....really?

Ben Roethlisberger and his 2 SB rings vs any Rams QB Austin has had.....the comparison needs to stop there.

Look what Watkins was doing with Manuel, suddenly Orton steps in and he puts up huge numbers. NFL players and their stats do not exist in a vacuum. Tavon has elite top end speed, yet everything he gets is within 5-10 yards, whereas Brown is one of the best deep threats in the NFL, especially after the catch. Even within the ranks of NFL players, you can go a step further. Emmanuel Sanders career was lackluster in Pittsburgh, and he is a much better player suddenly with Manning....and Ben will likely be a HoF QB, but Manning is on his own level.

Would Steve Young have gone to the HoF if he got stuck on that Bucs team he started with? Talent in the NFL around you seems to have an exponential factor in the success of individuals, but its a team sport and thats what makes it great.
I want to see TA in the opposing teams secondary, not behind the LOS.
Soon.

WvuIN02

Starter
I want to see TA in the opposing teams secondary, not behind the LOS.
Soon.

Me too, it drives me insane. I think he can have the same game changing potential of Dasean Jackson if he was used in that capacity, and at least it would draw safety help as not many corners can keep up with his straight line speed. It would at least free up other things for the other receivers and tight ends more.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Me too, it drives me insane. I think he can have the same game changing potential of Dasean Jackson if he was used in that capacity, and at least it would draw safety help as not many corners can keep up with his straight line speed. It would at least free up other things for the other receivers and tight ends more.
My main point for the thread is that he may just need more time to develop. I can't imagine that he was drafted to run up the gut and gadget plays.
I think be will catch on and when he does, look out.
We saw glimpses of what he can do in open space last year. But if a player isn't ready, there's not much you can do to force it. It makes me think that the way we are using him isn't the end all be all.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

It's just amazing to me that someone as quick as Austin can't line up outside and run a slant or go route on man coverage and win 90% of the time.

lockdnram21

Legend
Year 2 and 3 Averaged 65 rec.
He also had guys like Williams taking the pressure off him.

Stats aside, I see no reason why Austin couldn't developed into a wr like Brown. They look very much alike to me. Austin just needs work. I don't think he was drafted for running up the middle and end arounds. He will be a good player imo.
Austin is a Harvin clone. not a traditional wr but i guy that has big ppay ability. Austins also 3 inches shorter then brown.

V3

Hall of Fame
My main point for the thread is that he may just need more time to develop. I can't imagine that he was drafted to run up the gut and gadget plays.
I think be will catch on and when he does, look out.
We saw glimpses of what he can do in open space last year. But if a player isn't ready, there's not much you can do to force it. It makes me think that the way we are using him isn't the end all be all.
That's not something I like to hear about a player the Rams used the 8th pick as well as their 2nd rounder on.

lockdnram21

Legend
That's not something I like to hear about a player the Rams used the 8th pick as well as their 2nd rounder on.
Hes never going to be the traditional wr that everyone wants. were going through the same thing seattle wasgoing through with harvin. its hard to incorparte him into tne offense without making him the focal point. Imo he was overdrafted. Hes going to start making bigg poays but to expect Brown numbers i think is ludacri

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Austin is a Harvin clone. not a traditional wr but i guy that has big ppay ability. Austins also 3 inches shorter then brown.
Brown is at the most 5'10. 185. Not big by any means.
I don't think Steve Smith is much bigger than TA either. ( I may be way off on that).

Every year we here that guys can't play certain positions because of there size. Yet every year guys do.
London Fletcher for example. Another guy that was too small to play MLB.

The intangibles between TA and Brown are similar.I just don't see the knock against him playing outside.

lockdnram21

Legend
Brown is at the most 5'10. 185. Not big by any means.
I don't think Steve Smith is much bigger than TA either. ( I may be way off on that).

Every year we here that guys can't play certain positions because of there size. Yet every year guys do.
London Fletcher for example. Another guy that was too small to play MLB.

The intangibles between TA and Brown are similar.I just don't see the knock against him playing outside.
no knock on his size but hes not that good ofma route runner. Hes a Harvin clone a gadget player. not saying he cant learn to but i dont see it happening. plus Brown plays bigger then he is dont see that happening with TA

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hes never going to be the traditional wr that everyone wants. were going through the same thing seattle wasgoing through with harvin. its hard to incorparte him into tne offense without making him the focal point. Imo he was overdrafted. Hes going to start making bigg poays but to expect Brown numbers i think is ludacri
I'm not expecting Brown numbers. I'm talking about utilizing their skill sets in similar ways.
Ben looks for Brown more times than not. When your other wr's a have names like Hayward Bey, I don't blame him

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm not expecting Brown numbers. I'm talking about utilizing their skill sets in similar ways.
Ben looks for Brown more times than not. When your other wr's a have names like Hayward Bey, I don't blame him
brown is a much more polished route runner then Ta so i woud think most of that stuff want work. Brown also plays like hes over 6foot tall. Ta is what he is a gadget player. Now i would like to see Bailey more involved