Austin showing off immense talents in St. Louis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
by Bob Hertzel, For The Exponent Telegram
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.exponent-telegram.com/sports/austin-showing-off-immense-talents-in-st-louis/article_c4996c2c-d897-11e2-92a0-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.exponent-telegram.com/sports ... f887a.html</a>

Tavon+Austin+St+Louis+Rams+Rookie+Camp+HD2rU15nnfUl.jpg

MORGANTOWN — This will not surprise you if you’ve been in this neck of the woods the past three years, but it sure got those good folks in St. Louis fired up.

Seems they are beginning to realize the special talents St. Louis Rams’ first-round draft pick Tavon Austin showed Mountaineer fans as he caught passes, ran reverses and, most of all, ran back kicks.

A week or so ago, and ESPN’s Mike Sando swears this is the way it went down — Austin grabbed a punt on the right sideline and broke into the clear.

All that stood between him and the goal line was punter Johnny Hekker, a real mismatch considering linebackers have trouble tackling Austin in the open field.

Austin put on a shake, then a bake and was gone, leaving Hekker so thoroughly embarrassed at his dismal effort that he fell to ground, clutching at his hamstring as if he had pulled it in an effort to get some sympathy from some unsympathetic but highly amused teammates.

“Come on, that is hilarious,” Rams cornerback Cortland Finnegan said later. “(Austin) is the real deal, man.”

Austin and his WVU teammate Stedman Bailey, drafted in the third round, have become a hot ticket duo in St. Louis, each creating a tremendous impression.

Early on, Torry Holt, the Rams’ great receiver that Bailey reached out to for guidance even before the draft, expressed his views on what these two can do.

Now, Holt’s partner in the Rams’ “Greatest Show on Turf,” Issac Bruce put his stamp of approval on what he’s seen.

“I had to go to the highlight reel,” Bruce said when asked about the two. “Austin, he’s electrifying. I mean, you look at this guy, he can stop on a dime and leave you two nickels. He can get vertical and then run away from you. That’s a rarity in the league.”

And Bailey?

“Initially what I saw was his route running ability,” Bruce said. “He has the potential to be special. I wouldn’t be surprised to see his early success in this league.”

That’s a huge compliment coming one of the best pure route runners in the NFL when he played.

On Sept. 7, WVU plays its biggest game of the season at Oklahoma and should bring a large crowd with them, so here’s a way to turn the trip into a big-time weekend.

This is a suggestion if you have some time on your hands and are making that trip. The next day, Sept. 8, Austin and Bailey make their NFL regular season debuts in St. Louis with a game against the Arizona Cardinals.

Stopping on the way home might make it a trip to remember.

The other day, former WVU football coach Don Nehlen, a Hall of Fame member, was talking about how football had changed from his day, which ended not all that long ago.

“When we had spring football, we wore pads every single day,” he said, referring to rules now that keep teams from working in full pads for much of the spring. “It’s just a different game. It’s not as physical. “
The reason, of course, is a new-found emphasis on safety, especially trying to limit the number of head injuries and concussions in the game.

Nehlen has his own thought on how to accomplish that.

“If all these guys who are changing the rules want is to make it safe, just get rid of the facemask,” he said.
On the surface, that would seem counterproductive considering that the mask, invented by another Hall of Fame coach, Paul Brown, is supposed to increase safety.

“When I played football, before the facemask, you tackled with your shoulder and you blocked with your shoulder because you didn’t want to go see your girlfriend with a broken nose,” Nehlen said.

“I never heard of head injuries when I played football … and our helmets were nowhere near as good as these helmets. And we had guys who could play football. The masks today are nothing but weapons.”

Email Bob Hertzel at bhertzel@hotmail.com.
Follow on Twitter@bhertzel

Ram_of_Old

Good Read! If the Rams use him correctly and move him around the field, it could open up our offense to some big plays.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah... very good read.

Austin... Cook... Givens... Quick... match-up paradise!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
PhxRam said:
Seems like old recycled info.

Yer a nattering nabob of negativism.

And yes there is a lot of recycled news cycles right now......it's kinda boring right now. :yawn:

PhxRam

LesBaker said:
PhxRam said:

And yes there is a lot of recycled news cycles right now......it's kinda boring right now. :yawn:

I got nothing else to bring to the table. :lol:

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Yeah... very good read.

Add Kendricks and RB ( Pead has the best hands), what a group to defense
train

BadCompany

Rookie
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
Yeah... very good read.

train

So football question from a life-long hockey player (meaning I don't know the finer details of the game like a lot of you);

With all these "new" weapons, and all these crazy new schemes our OC is going to be drawing up to create mis-matches all over the field, are we not in fact asking Bradford - and the rest of the offense for that matter - to learn yet another new playbook?

Everybody keeps saying how its a good thing that Bradford finally has some consistency in his playbook, but did last year's playbook contain all the plays that will take advantage of the skills Austin, Cook, Bailey et al bring to the table? Or is this going to be another on-the-fly learning season?

I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm asking a legitimate question (in my mind anyways). How much different can we expect the playbook to be, and is there going to be a learning curve for Bradford and the others?

nighttrain

Legend
MontrealRam said:
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
Yeah... very good read.

train

So football question from a life-long hockey player (meaning I don't know the finer details of the game like a lot of you);

With all these "new" weapons, and all these crazy new schemes our OC is going to be drawing up to create mis-matches all over the field, are we not in fact asking Bradford - and the rest of the offense for that matter - to learn yet another new playbook?

Everybody keeps saying how its a good thing that Bradford finally has some consistency in his playbook, but did last year's playbook contain all the plays that will take advantage of the skills Austin, Cook, Bailey et al bring to the table? Or is this going to be another on-the-fly learning season?

I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm asking a legitimate question (in my mind anyways). How much different can we expect the playbook to be, and is there going to be a learning curve for Bradford and the others?
it's not the playbook, it's separation and talent. The Rams have increased the possibility for both to increase by huge increments. Your receiver gets a step on the defender, he's toast
train

wv

Rookie
PhxRam said:
LesBaker said:
PhxRam said:

I got nothing else to bring to the table. :lol:

Not true. You also bring a really perplexing and disconcerting avatar.

w
v

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
nighttrain said:
MontrealRam said:
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
Yeah... very good read.

train

it's not the playbook, it's separation and talent. The Rams have increased the possibility for both to increase by huge increments. Your receiver gets a step on the defender, he's toast
train

I'm thinking we will see a lot more pre snap motion too. You're right about the seperation and talent and I expect mismatches to happen naturally but added motion is going to be a good way to get the smaller guys more involved because it's harder to check them at the line. Austin is going to have a huge advantage with his change of direction when he is in motion.

Mark this down.....Austin is going to make some big time high impact plays from motion.

BS has to recognize this and is either designing some new plays and/or adding to some he already has in the book. I'll be waiting to hear what they are fine tuning in camp.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
MontrealRam said:
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
Yeah... very good read.

train

Perfectly legitimate point in my opinion. I think it's possible for them to take off right out of the box-but I won't be screaming bust or anyting like that if it's a bit rough at first. I would hope to see ongoing developement throughout the season. Remember-we are bringing in new run game as well. I am, however, finding it increasingly difficult to temper my enthusiasm-training camp can't get here soon enough.