Austin Pettis waived (confirmed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Interesting things happening at Rams park. With the emergence of Tre Mason, Trey Watts, Benny Cunningham... think any chance we trade Stacy?? I know it's waaaay out there, but him not getting a sniff yesterday is pretty strange. They even announced him as the starter in player intros.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I just wanted to point out to a few gloomy gloomers that no 12-4 team has ever missed the Playoffs. We just beat the Moss Birds, get your heads right!

It's a VERY questionable move that I hope has a return. Pettis was the pup's mentor last year for crying out loud.

Philly5

Rookie
I liked Pettis better than Givens, but we could sure use some LBs and DBs on the roster more than a 6th WR.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pettis is banged up right now. Rams need a roster spot. We have too many WRs. Plus, he didn't show up against Philly. It happens. The guy will catch on elsewhere and probably do solidly.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is really a surprise to me, and I'm going to miss the guy. Can't forget the clutch catch against Tampa Bay a few weeks back, and I'll never forget his ridiculously clutch catch on 4th down in Buffalo a few years ago when Sam threw the ball badly behind him. He was a great red zone target too, although I guess they are thinking with Quick, Britt, and Cook we have the kind of guys we need for that.

Plus, I was surprised that he was cut over Givens, the speed of the latter notwithstanding. I always thought Tavon Austin could do whatever Givens could do and more.

I'm pretty sure there is more to the story we are not hearing.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I hate to say it but here goes, He would be a great fit in New England. Their I said it

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We need help at LB! Go get someone!

Psycho_X

Legend
Supposedly he was late for a meeting saturday. It's why he was benched Sunday and subsequently cut.

fearsomefour

Legend
The only thing I could find was that Pettis was late for a meeting on Saturday.
Probably not one thing, but, he may have had attitude issues since losing his starting job.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I just wanted to point out to a few gloomy gloomers that no 12-4 team has ever missed the Playoffs. We just beat the Moss Birds, get your heads right!

It's a VERY questionable move that I hope has a return. Pettis was the pup's mentor last year for crying out loud.
We need help at LB! Go get someone!

If the Rams don't trade for a LB what FA LB's do you want to see the Rams consider?

Penguin.

Rookie
You know your WR core was outright raunchy if Austin Pettis being waived causes an uproar. Givens has way more potential, and they either think that with another year of practice, he might turn out to be like Quick. Why keep someone who already maxed out their potential in Pettis, opposed to a younger and faster player who has shown the skills to beat coverage? His first year was not bad at all. I thought Givens would be our first 1k yard receiver in a long time just from his rookie year.

And Pettis was late to a meeting.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
After the drop that cost us the game in Philly, I support this move. I wonder if the play Chris Givens made on our late scoring drive might have reinforced what the coaches thought, that Givens has more potential then Pettis ever will. This is a production business, gentleman.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
If it is a trade in the works a vet on the defense especially in the secondary would really help to solidify the unit.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If the Rams don't trade for a LB what FA LB's do you want to see the Rams consider?

I don't know but Fisher and GW may have someone in mind. Possibly someone that has played in the system.
Are they tired of waiting for Tree to learn the defense? Is it his poor tackling? Is something else going on with one of the LBs that we don't know about?

jap

Legend
As long as speculation is rampant, let me throw in my two cents.

Perhaps the Horns want another starting guard. Big Jake is clearly on the decline. Coach Bou has had GRob practicing at both LG and LT. Knowing that GRob is slated to be the LT of the future, the coaching brass may want slide GRob out to LT later on this season. Joe Barksdale's contract is up after this year. They could cut ties with him and slide Big Jake to RT, with GRob at LT, and someone new at guard with Beetlejuice (who can man either guard position). Or they can free themselves from Jake's hefty contract after this season, resign Joe at RT, move GRob to LT, and get another guard in there. You still want a swing T to backup LT/RT.

I believe Joseph only plays RG, and Beetlejuice gets hurt too much for my taste. So another starting-quality guard would be handy as the Horns look to adjust their OL for the future.

Before anyone seeks to laud me for my brilliance here, I stole this idea from BonifayRam who presented it last season. :sneaky::LOL:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Not surprised at all. I thought the general consensus was he was out by training camp, or when Stedman got back. And not really broken up about it either, he was a good guy, but not spectacular. He had good hand most of the time, but he's the 5th/6th WR for a reason. I'm more excited about the ensuing move.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
7th round pick and Davin Joseph for Luke Kuechly sounds reasonable.
Off Topic - But was Kuechly's contact with the referee anything more than incidental? Looked like the ref was coming at him from the rear and he just pushed him off. Maybe I don't like Steve Smith but he seemed to do more to warrant being tossed from the game than Kuechly.