Austin Pettis waived (confirmed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Thanks Austin but I never thought you would make the final Roster this year. Good luck wherever you go. Is there a practice Squad LB that they could Raid from another team.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I can't believe this, I don't like the move I'd rather Pettis because of hands and how clutch he's been in the past. Givens better show he's here for a reason!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe their thinking of a possible compensatory pick in the2015 Draft!?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Was late to a meeting? Can't believe that was the reason why, unless Pettis was continually missing meetings. But that doesn't seem like the type of guy he is.

I hope we bring up Denicos Allen from the PS. He's a talented player and might be an upgrade at LB over our guys with the way they're playing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Maybe their thinking of a possible compensatory pick in the2015 Draft!?

I don't think you can get compensation picks for players that you waive. Only players that you lose to other teams via free agency.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Pettis' value was as a possession receiver. We have that in Stedman Bailey.

Givens, though has struggled at times, has excellent speed. You can't teach that.

Pair up the fact that Pettis missed time with a suspension and now was late to a meeting might be telling. I'd suspect the team is setting an example with players that aren't showing discipline and doing so selectively with players they know they can do without but have some name recognition.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd suspect the team is setting an example with players that aren't showing discipline and doing so selectively with players they know they can do without but have some name recognition.

This thought crossed my mind too.

Still a little surprised. Pettis is a nice player.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Fisher is stirring the pot. Guess we have litttle to lose at this pt.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I guess they plan on signing Britt to a longer contact? I guess they figure he won't ever be a problem? Don't understand this move. Pettis has been one of the surest hands on the team for a while.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Like to see a LB come in that could push Ogletree.
Not sure if there's one out there, unless there is a trade in the works.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A move that looks puzzling on the surface has some more moving parts. The Rams must have some other moves in the works. A trade could be in the works. Why Blake is let go at the same time doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when it comes to Pettis so it probably is unrelated but connected to another move. This team looks like it feels they are still in the thick of things at 2-4. Let's hope they are right.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
This thought crossed my mind too.

Still a little surprised. Pettis is a nice player.
I was mildly surprised as well...Mostly because of the timing and the way the roster has been handled to this point.

I grew to like Pettis as a possession guy, but he was pretty limited in what he could do. He did a lot of things well, but not really anything outstanding. Just about every other WR on the team does have something outstanding...be it speed, size, etc.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Everyone wanted us to get to the point where we could release Pettis and upgrade the talent. Well, it seems we are at that point.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I guess they plan on signing Britt to a longer contact? I guess they figure he won't ever be a problem? Don't understand this move. Pettis has been one of the surest hands on the team for a while.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Benardrick McKinney....but I digress.....

Other thoughts, no way is Pettis as good, valuable or necessary as Givens...Never...the things Pettis does, Givens can learn....not the other way around....
With all due respect. Chris Givens will never "learn" to fight for contested balls. Or go over the middle in traffic. He wants no part of it. And thats not something that can be taught.

This isnt a total shock to me. There was not going to be an instance where they dress all six WRs. IMO this move came down to either a WR or Trey Watts. And Watts has Special Teams value.

This has to have further roster implications. And Tuesday's are usually when they have players in for a workout. Don't be surprised to hear a follow up move tomorrow.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Benardrick McKinney....but I digress.....

Other thoughts, no way is Pettis as good, valuable or necessary as Givens...Never...the things Pettis does, Givens can learn....not the other way around....
With all due respect. Chris Givens will never "learn" to fight for contested balls. Or go over the middle in traffic. He wants no part of it. And thats not something that can be taught.

This isnt a total shock to me. There was not going to be an instance where they dress all six WRs. IMO this move came down to either a WR or Trey Watts. And Watts has Special Teams value.

This has to have further roster implications. And Tuesday's are usually when they have players in for a workout. Don't be surprised to hear a follow up move tomorrow.