Austin on the Market??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You mean basically have a do over on the trade up for Austin we did last year? The one I hated and everyone thought I was crazy to be against? No comment. :ROFLMAO: ;)

I hated it too. The Rams could have Mae me feel better about it if they had made the Vikings trade. They still could have landed Ogletree probably, got Warford and another G/C. But noooo. They don't care about what I think at all! I really wish they had made that trade. It could have really opened this draft up for them if they had Warford on board already. They may have gotten their Safety out of that haul too.

If they don't trade for Tavon maybe they get their safety in round1 and then keep the second rounder for another impact player. Then this year Watkins falls in their lap with no need to trade and maybe trade up from 13 for the OT...or stay pat for he Corner and address Guard in round2. Then the rest of the draft could be playtime with no major needs. They could line up a DT, Another S, G, LBer. Lots of options, but they really could have filled some holes with that trade they passed up last year. Oh what could have been.

I hated it too. The Rams could have Mae me feel better about it if they had made the Vikings trade. They still could have landed Ogletree probably, got Warford and another G/C. But noooo. They don't care about what I think at all! I really wish they had made that trade. It could have really opened this draft up for them if they had Warford on board already. They may have gotten their Safety out of that haul too.

If they don't trade for Tavon maybe they get their safety in round1 and then keep the second rounder for another impact player. Then this year Watkins falls in their lap with no need to trade and maybe trade up from 13 for the OT...or stay pat for he Corner and address Guard in round2. Then the rest of the draft could be playtime with no major needs. They could line up a DT, Another S, G, LBer. Lots of options, but they really could have filled some holes with that trade they passed up last year. Oh what could have been.

You think Ogletree would have lasted to 52 :eek:.

Oh and if by some miracle Ogletree had lasted to 52 Warford was gone by the second Viking's pick so are you sacrificing McDonald or Bailey?

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend

No amount of frivolous hindsight could make me believe we made a mistake trading up for Austin. Kid has legendary ability and when he puts it together it will be a sight to behold.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators quibbling:
Well technically we'd of traded our 16th in the 1st and 16th in the 2nd in a relatively week draft for the 4th in the 1st and 3rd in the second, along with a year of Austin, pretty damn good business if you ask me.
The principle is the same. You're talking about getting the extra picks which would probably result in extra premium starters versus just taking that extra special player.

Actually, having had Austin for last year wouldn't be a plus in this scenario. We lost a year of development of whomever we would have picked instead. Say Cordarrelle Patterson. We also lost the development of a punt and kick returner. Possibly my man Veltung! :) That makes this a lot more even.

I'm also not buying that the relatively weak draft class of last year has any bearing on this. The weakness of last years class would mainly be felt as a lack of depth and that doesn't come into play in the first two rounds.

Having said all that, I don't believe this story is true.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome having the same vision:

We could have filled another hole or two last year and we paid for that last year and we're still paying for that this year. Spilled milk though. I just hope we don't do that again. I don't mind trading up when it only costs you a 4th or below though. :)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
First let's KNOW the accelerated cap hit is something the Rams aren't interested in ,Cleveland only took the hit last year because TR is a slug, Austin is not a slug and has shown several times why we drafted him.

Alan

Legend
I wouldn't do that deal either. It's too late and we already have too much development time invested in Austin. Plus Austin is very good and we don't know that whoever we drafted with those picks would be. A bird in the hand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wouldn't do that deal either. It's too late and we already have too much development time invested in Austin. Plus Austin is very good and we don't know that whoever we drafted with those picks would be. A bird in the hand.
Chuck Norris once killed two stones with one bird.

Alan

Legend
Bob: I was hungry today so I baked a large pizza. That way I was able to feed myself and my friends.
Joe: Talk about killing two birds with one stone.
Leroy: That's nothing. I started a campaign for pizza for the hungry and now I'm getting a free trip to Italy to expand my campaign AND I'm ending world hunger at the same time.
Joe: Now you're just killing two stones with one bird.

Psycho_X

Legend
BREAKING NEWS.

Psycho_X is reporting that any team in the NFL would trade almost any player if another team offered them a shit ton of compensation for it. Especially if it is more than originally invested in the pick.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Go look at the guys twitter page. It's full of nonsense including this type of thing.....

BREAKING: Source close to situation: #Broncos QB Peyton Manning is "leaning strongly towards retirement" after 2013-14 season #NFL

Source: #Browns "VERY strong" interest in former #Bucs QB Josh Freeman willing to do a 2 year deal #NFL

It's all sensationalist bullshit, he's having fun yanking peoples chains, some idiot with nothing else to do.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
ebro-cat3.jpg

Tell 'em all about Tavon Austin Charlie! " We want a 1st and 2nd round draft pick, and an can of tuna!"

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No amount of frivolous hindsight could make me believe we made a mistake trading up for Austin. Kid has legendary ability and when he puts it together it will be a sight to behold.

No matter how you like to spin it Jjab, Frivilous speculation is no better than Frivilous hindsight.

tbux

Rookie

Could not agree more- love hinsight people! anyways go put in the Indy tape for those of you who are doubting him- that is what he is capable of. Played more than half season without starting QB- gut hurt,and had how many nice plays called back? guy is real deal- and I am betting thy LOVE him. Not concerned about Tavon at all. He is the truth!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could not agree more- love hinsight people! anyways go put in the Indy tape for those of you who are doubting him- that is what he is capable of. Played more than half season without starting QB- gut hurt,and had how many nice plays called back? guy is real deal- and I am betting thy LOVE him. Not concerned about Tavon at all. He is the truth!

Cant wait to see him with a full nfl offseason under his belt. God help the rest of the nfl

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The principle is the same. You're talking about getting the extra picks which would probably result in extra premium starters versus just taking that extra special player.

Actually, having had Austin for last year wouldn't be a plus in this scenario. We lost a year of development of whomever we would have picked instead. Say Cordarrelle Patterson. We also lost the development of a punt and kick returner. Possibly my man Veltung! :) That makes this a lot more even.

I'm also not buying that the relatively weak draft class of last year has any bearing on this. The weakness of last years class would mainly be felt as a lack of depth and that doesn't come into play in the first two rounds.

Having said all that, I don't believe this story is true.

Cordarrelle Patterson had essentially the same level of production at WR as Tavon did. Just because he had 1 kickoff return for 106 yards doesn't mean he's that much better.

Tavon is also a PR, so IDK what you mean when losing the development of a returner there; CP tho wasn't a PR.

It seems like whenever Tavon Austin is brought up, CP is brought up. I don't understand it. Both had good rookie seasons, but they are different receivers. Each has it's pros and cons.

Now don't misunderstand me, I didn't like trading up to get Tavon either; but it's crazy hindsight to say someone else would have been a better pick for the future or someone else in the 2nd round would have been as well.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Just looking at this thread, I have to wonder what people are thinking about Austin now.

Is he still too small to be anything but a slot receiver? Or do they feel like he can contribute as a flanker or split end as well?

Sure, they can use him out of the back field and he's been great as a punt returner, but for me to consider that a successful draft pick on a wide receiver, I think he should be able to create mismatches at all three X, Y Z positions.

nighttrain

Legend

Austin is proven, no rookie and could have a very good season, we've all seen that's not the way it always goes, even with high first round choices
train

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
You mean basically have a do over on the trade up for Austin we did last year? The one I hated and everyone thought I was crazy to be against? No comment. :ROFLMAO: ;)
I'm not saying I'm for or against. Tho it is a interesting concept. I mean maybe having 6 of the top 45. I wouldn't do it unless I could have both trades.Wouldn't do it unless it was a top 7 pick.

But how many players you think the Rams wouldn't trade off their roster for a high 1st& 2nd? Quinn for sure, Bradford?