Austin Far From Satisfied With Rookie Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4746/austin-far-from-satisfied-with-rookie-season

ST. LOUIS -- Nobody had higher expectations for St. Louis Rams receiver Tavon Austin's rookie season than Austin himself.

As the first skill position player drafted last April, Austin was expected to come in and jump-start the Rams' offense and special teams with his combination of speed and elusiveness.

While there were flashes of all of that -- he took over and dominated the team's win against Indianapolis -- the thing lacking most was consistency.

Austin summed up his first NFL season best on Monday afternoon, less than 24 hours after sitting out his third consecutive game with a sprained ankle.

“I did OK,” Austin said. “Not the year I definitely wanted. I had a slow start and then hurt at the end but my focus next year is finish the year out and play how I usually play, make big plays and help this team win.”

Much like his punt return style, Austin's season was full of stops and starts. He struggled with drops right off the bat, losing the handle on six passes in the first five weeks. Likewise, the Rams rarely found ways to get him the ball in open space.

Aside from a two-touchdown game against Atlanta in Week 2, Austin was a relative non-factor the first nine weeks of the season. Of course, the lack of production wasn't all his fault, either.

Silly penalties nullified a handful of big punt returns, including a touchdown against Dallas and a tripping penalty canceled out a long touchdown grab against Carolina.

Austin insisted he wasn't frustrated but it was evident on his face as he left the locker room moments after the team's win against Jacksonville in Week 5 with his eye black still under his eyes.

The worm finally turned against the Colts, jump-started by a scintillating 98-yard punt return for a touchdown as the Rams surged to a 38-8 win and Austin added touchdown catches covering 138 yards total.

“That's definitely my favorite play so far,” Austin said of the return. “Hopefully in the future we have got a lot of big plays coming too.”

Austin followed the next week with a 65-yard touchdown run to give the Rams an early lead against Chicago on the way to another convincing win. It wasn't until two weeks later that Austin had another big play, a 56-yard rush against Arizona where Austin suffered the ankle injury as he fell to the ground.

For the first time in his football-playing career, Austin had to sit out a game. And another. And another.

Austin says he fought the urge to be frustrated by missing games, opting to pay close attention and trying to see things from the sideline that aren't as visible when he's on the field.

“You see a lot,” Austin said. “You see defenses, you see the mental side of it, how smart you are as far as reading coverages on the sideline. That's how I took it. I definitely didn't take it as a loss. I took some positive out of it. I believe I got a lot smarter.”

Austin's ankle injury doesn't appear to have any long-term implications. He said Monday he would have been able to play this week if the Rams had a game. But Austin also is clear that he wants to find ways to continue building his body heading into his second season.

“I am going to put on a couple more pounds, not lose my speed and just work on the small things of the game, the mental part, some things like that,” Austin said. “That's what I can improve.”

Austin's final numbers fall well short of the many unrealistic expectations that were placed on him when he entered the league. He finished with 40 catches for 418 yards, nine carries for 151 yards and five touchdowns combined between the two.

As a returner, Austin added that aforementioned touchdown while averaging 22.11 yards per kick return and 8.48 yards per punt return.

While the numbers aren't eye-popping, Austin made enough big plays to show that he does indeed have the ability to be a game-changing player. The challenge moving forward falls not only on Austin to become a more consistent route runner and pass-catcher but also on the Rams to put him in position to make plays.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer found some creative ways -- see the touchdown run against Chicago -- to use Austin but those were too few and far between. Additionally, it will be interesting to see where Austin fits if the Rams remain committed to the run-heavy approach they showed in the final 12 weeks.

Austin has too much ability to only touch the ball in the offense four or five times a game but if that is to be his role, the Rams have to at least find ways to maximize those touches. Adding a No. 1 receiver to open some things up underneath would also be a helpful touch.

Regardless of how that plays out, Austin has his sights set on bigger things in 2014 after his introduction to the rigors of the NFL.

“It's a different league but I'm grateful for the opportunities I had and I took advantage of them,” Austin said. “I'm going to keep on pushing and next year will definitely be a better year.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
This kid is going to be a legend if they ever figure out how to use him.

jap

Legend
They need to optimize his weight & strength without losing any of his speed or quickness. NFL trainers are usually very experienced with this sort of thing, so Tavon should be fine. They might want to revisit Chris Givens's situation because whatever gains he made in strength/weight did not translate positively to the field. He still is gun-shy about going across the middle.

V3

Hall of Fame
Like his attitude and wish him the best.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hopefully the special teams play will be better next year and there won't be so many penalties calling back his returns. He still had a decent rookie year, even with missing the last 3 games and all the lost production do to penalties.

I'm not ready to call him a legend but he is a good weapon to have if he can stay on the field.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm excited about him. Seems we kinda figured out his role before his injury

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Love this guy, he will do anything he can to improve. Great attitude and work ethic which is what you want. Hopefully he can turn out to be consistently productive, he sure has the talent.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great attitude. There's lots of upside there, especially as our SP gets better with experience. I'd like to see him used like Philly uses D. Jackson. In fact, isn't he basically a faster version of D. Jackson (once he gets a handle on catching the ball at this level)?

jap

Legend
Previously, Tavon reportedly missed one day of collegiate practice due to a broken finger---he never missed any collegiate games. The fact remains that he is a small guy playing in the bigger, tougher, more brutal NFL world. You don't want to compromise that marvelous speed & quickness so the trainers need to find the optimal weight/strength balance point that retains that elite speed/quickness.

First, I don't know he will end being talked about after he's done in the NFL but he is a legend in WV. Second, as for his optimal body weight and speed and not getting hurt. Tavon is smart and very aware of his size. At WVU he would juke, cut and side step until he knew the play was over and then he would just step out of bounds. Many times you would see defenders frustrated that he had made them miss and then stepped out of bounds before they could get and revenge.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not satisfied... that we didn't utilize him more. I still don't know how exactly teams shut down Cook, Givens, Quick, and Austin when we ran the wide open offense. Maybe Sam played it too safe or they just weren't getting it done. It is a very young core, after all. It woulda been different with Sam in at QB for the full season.

jap

Legend
I'm not satisfied... that we didn't utilize him more. I still don't know how exactly teams shut down Cook, Givens, Quick, and Austin when we ran the wide open offense. Maybe Sam played it too safe or they just weren't getting it done. It is a very young core, after all. It woulda been different with Sam in at QB for the full season.

The zone defense was ushered into the NFL when the World's Fastest Human, Bob Hayes, went to play WR for the Dallas Cowboys. No DB in the NFL could match Hayes in speed, and the zone became the fallback way to deal with guys with extreme velocity. It may sound nice to say get Tavon in space, and he will dominate. However, bear in mind there are 31 NFL defensive coordinators who aim to prevent that very thing---it just isn't that simple.

The Colts were stupid enough to try and handle the Rams' receivers, including Tavon, with man-to-man coverage, and they got burned twice on receptions, plus once on a 98-yard punt return. Tavon needs other receivers to become more disruptive so he can gain single coverage more often. It's really too bad Sam went down because Quick may have proved himself by season's end with a healthy Sam.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The zone defense was ushered into the NFL when the World's Fastest Human, Bob Hayes, went to play WR for the Dallas Cowboys. No DB in the NFL could match Hayes in speed, and the zone became the fallback way to deal with guys with extreme velocity. It may sound nice to say get Tavon in space, and he will dominate. However, bear in mind there are 31 NFL defensive coordinators who aim to prevent that very thing---it just isn't that simple.

The Colts were stupid enough to try and handle the Rams' receivers, including Tavon, with man-to-man coverage, and they got burned twice on receptions, plus once on a 98-yard punt return. Tavon needs other receivers to become more disruptive so he can gain single coverage more often. It's really too bad Sam went down because Quick may have proved himself by season's end with a healthy Sam.

You answered my question, man. Rams really gotta focus on finding the creases in the zones that they will face every week. Of course, that really starts with the QB. Our guys were just beginning to turn the corner a bit when Sam went down. Being we all know what to expect from KC, the end results are less surprising. A 7-9 record with that much adversity is actually pretty solid from the youngest team in football. Now let's add some guys and carry that growth into next year!

tonyl711

Starter
the running game helped him later in the season, the first 4 or 5 games there was no running game, defenses only had to play the pass. if Sam had that running game to keep defenses honest im sure the passing game would have been a lot more productive. TA did what most rookies do, he struggled early but then started coming on as the season progressed. TA with Sam and a running game to keep defenses honest should be a lot more productive next year.

jap

Legend
the running game helped him later in the season, the first 4 or 5 games there was no running game, defenses only had to play the pass. if Sam had that running game to keep defenses honest im sure the passing game would have been a lot more productive. TA did what most rookies do, he struggled early but then started coming on as the season progressed. TA with Sam and a running game to keep defenses honest should be a lot more productive next year.

Yes, besides learning the WR route tree, Tavon had RB, PR, and KR schemes to master---and an assortment of trick plays to boot.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I want to see Tavon running crossing routes between linebackers and safeties instead of in front of the backers, and to catch the ball while running between zones instead of stopping.

fancents86

Starter
IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYOTHER THREAD I TRY AND REPLY ON, I SEE THIS GUYS ^^^ FAWKING SIG VIDEO AND FORGET WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!!!!