Austin Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's not go overboard. I've been a Davis supporter since the Rams got him. But let's understand he has much better teams to face down the road. He did a great job today...just keep working!

Exactly. I'm just saying we don't all need to be so negative about the kid. He didn't lose us the game today, but I wouldn't say he won it either. He helped us stay in the game when we needed to. Moved the chains pretty effectively.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I agree with everyone else.

Football is about momentum. If Davis and Rams go on a little run, you don't mess with that by pulling Davis for Hill. Keep Davis in until he no longer gives us the best shot, then go with Hill.

I know it's unfortunate for Hill. He's the official No.2 and all. But life's unfair. It should be about winning, not sparing Hill's feelings.

209RamsFan

Damn....I was impressed.....we NÉED a Fiery individual like that. Major props to those of you who said,. Give the Kid a chance....I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming of Brett Favre or Dan Marino....but he was solid, played with the guts of jack Youngblood, won on the road, and didn't get rattled after sacks or pressures....and the emotion on the sideline....like a shot of freaking nitro-glycerin mixed with mountain dew and a quadruple expresso....ok I went overboard....but I digress...give the kid the ball. I will have my black bird with tapatio sauce, well done and fries on the side.....Go Rams Baby for Life!!

LooNaTik83

No I think everyone owes Austin Davis an apology he turned it up. Showed that he can produce and that's what he did. With what he had at his expense he adapted and over came. Good showing. He can only get better from here on out.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Davis played well enough to make me want him as our number one right now. The stalled drives we more a problem with team execution than QB execution.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think something that needs to be pointed out is that he also did to throw any TDs. No INTs either, but still you need TDs to win. But like others said, some of the drives fell apart due to team miscues.

I would call him the definition of a game manager right now haha.

Athos

Legend
I think he got the troops believing. Looked like a leader kneeling in that huddle getting his guys ready.

He showed great mobility and ability in extending some plays. And if not for a Stacy fumble, we have another 3-7 points on the board. Probably more if our D gave us more possessions.

He earned it in my book. Screw this veteran gets the starts nonsense. Hill had as many starts as Davis last season and Davis has been in the system longer. Let him start against the Cowgirls.

Big Willie

Starter
What impressed me was his passion, calmness in the pocket, accuracy, movement to buy himself more time in the pocket, and his willingness to make tough throws that showed he trusted his receivers. Not willing to go overboard on him...we did, after all, only score 1 touchdown.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I respect Fishers decision to stick with Hill, im not doing cartwheels, though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
OK, I am going to put a little different spin on this. I will be the first to admit, what I saw from Davis today was a complete surprise. At no time in the past 3 training camps have I seen anything that would have lead me to believe he had that kinda of performance in him. But while he played an inspired game, there were quite a few things he can still improve on. So kudos to him for getting them back in the WIN column.

It was one game against a not very good team, without 3/4 of their starting front, and missing their MLB after the midway point in the 2nd quarter. I think he did enough to buy himself another week, if Hill isn't 100%. But make no mistake about it, Shaun Hill over the long haul will be a much better choice when they get into the meat of the schedule. I really don't want to see Austin Davis against the likes of the SF, Seattle and Arizona with the schemes and different looks they will give a very raw rookie.

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think he should keep the next team guessing on who is going to start next week. Make them prepare for both guys.

bskrilla

Starter
I think he should keep the next team guessing on who is going to start next week. Make them prepare for both guys.

I think this will happen BECAUSE he said Shaun Hill is the starter if healthy. They won't say if he's healthy or not until gameday so Dallas will have to prepare for both. Although I'd wager the game plan isn't THAT different between Davis and Hill. Run the ball, pass off play-action, and take the occasional down-field shot. It's not like either is a big running threat.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
His composure was most impressive. My buddies and I play pool on friday nights and I have a darth vader piggy bank that when anybody does something kick-ass they earn the Vader Award (someone pushes the button). This week Davis gets my nod for the Vader Award:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd expect Hill to start IF he's 100% healthy. But he won't be. So Davis will get another start. And will be ready if the Rams need him going forward, after the bye.

RamWoodie

Legend
http://fansided.com/2014/09/14/jeff-fisher-shaun-hill-austin-davis-still-starter/

Jeff Fisher: Shaun Hill, not Austin Davis, still the starter
by Wes Goldberg

After completing 22-of-29 passes for 235 yards in a 19-17 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Austin Davis received the game ball from St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher. It was his first NFL start, playing in place of Shaun Hill (thigh) and Sam Bradford (out for the season).

Fisher pointed to Davis’ poise as a primary reason for Davis’ initial success, a trait apparent as he converted a pair of third downs on the game-winning drive with clutch throws.

Davis’ performance was enough to have many wondering whether he’d done enough to earn another start regardless of the status of veteran Shaun Hill’s injured thigh. Fisher quickly put those thoughts to rest after the game.

“No, when Shaun comes back, he’s our starter,” Fisher said. “I’m really proud of Austin but Shaun’s our starter.”

I’m not one to draw conclusions after just two games, but the idea that Fisher is handing the job to Hill is a little irresponsible. Maybe Davis continues to play well and Fisher opens up a competition, but there will come a point where Fisher needs to make a real decision and not just a cop out one by going with the incumbent starter. It’s something to watch.
This is to be expected...but let's not act as if this doesn't give Fisher the flexibility to go to Davis, if Hill doesn't cut it. Hill has the experience over Davis, but Davis is more able to make something of nothing when things go wrong.

So Fisher is correct...and more comfortable.

RamBill

Legend
Davis unfazed by challenges of first start
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11668/davis-unfazed-by-challenges-of-first-start

TAMPA, Fla. -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis was always going to start Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he didn't find out for sure until about 90 minutes before the game began.

With veteran Shaun Hill battling a thigh injury that kept him out all week, Davis said he had been preparing as though he was going to make his first NFL start since Monday. But in reality, Davis' trip to leading the Rams against Tampa Bay goes back much further.

A year ago, Davis was without an NFL job, spending two or three days a week providing guidance for the young quarterbacks at Westminster Christian Academy in Town and Country, Missouri.

On Sunday, Davis was calmly and efficiently leading the Rams to their first win of the season, a 19-17 victory over the Bucs, throwing for 235 yards on 22-of-29 passing with no interceptions or touchdowns for a rating of 99.1. Rams coach Jeff Fisher awarded Davis the game ball in the locker room afterward.

"It’s special," Davis said. "I can’t really describe it. I felt at peace out there, I felt at home and it had a lot to do with the guys I was around and how well we played and made plays around me."

To be sure, Davis had plenty of help in overcoming a seemingly never-ending pile of challenges in his first NFL start.

There was the mild uncertainty about whether he'd start, though Fisher said Hill was only going to be available to take shotgun snaps in an emergency. There was the lightning delay which sent the teams back to the locker room for nearly an hour midway through the second quarter.

Every time the Bucs seemed to gain an edge, Davis never flinched and performed under pressure. The performance was a surprise to outside observers but for those in the Rams locker room, it had been gradually building for most of the past three years. Davis, who was cut at the beginning of last season, was re-signed when Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury and has remained since.

"That’s what you need in the NFL, especially coming from your offensive leader, the quarterback," receiver Austin Pettis said. "To show that mental toughness throughout the game, he kept it even keel, we were up sometimes on offense and down a little bit here and there but he kept his head in there and made all the right plays that we needed."

An initial glance at Davis' numbers don't reveal anything too overwhelming and the Rams' total of 19 points against an injury-depleted defense isn't going to be enough to win many games in the rough and tumble NFC West but a closer inspection of Davis' performance revealed a moxie that was hard to deny.

Time and again, Davis stared down extra pressure from the Bucs defense and delivered a key throw, especially on third down. Davis attempted eight third-down passes, completing six for a total of 76 yards. Five of those completions resulted in first downs.

On the fourth quarter drive to set up kicker Greg Zuerlein's game-winning 38-yard field goal, Davis hit tight end Lance Kendricks for 13 yards on third-and-1 as he took a big hit and followed five plays later by firing a strike to Pettis down the seam for 27 yards on third-and-9.

"He was very poised today," Fisher said. "He did a great job ... nothing was overwhelming to him."

After the game, Fisher made it clear that when healthy Hill will reclaim the starting job. But even if Davis' debut wasn't enough to win a permanent job, it was more than enough to earn the trust of his team the next time it needs him.