Austin Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just watched the game again (thanks PhxRam) and I really liked what I saw out of that kid. I know he was playing against 2-3rd stringers, and I know he did not put up any points, but I thought he showed great poise in the pocket and was able to make plays. Kinda reminded of ol' #13 in that regard (and no, I am not COMPARING the 2). I honestly did not see a single error by him in the 2nd half. He was a little short on the bomb to Givens, yet it still hit him in the chest. The INT at the end was clearly Campbell's fault. I would like to see him get some reps with the 2nd unit in the upcoming preseason games is all I'm saying. We know what we have with Clemons. Anyone else intrigued by this kid?

paceram

Pro Bowler
I agree and I hope Davis makes the Rams roster as the 3rd (or possibly even the 2nd) string QB.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
paceram said:
I agree and I hope Davis makes the Rams roster as the 3rd (or possibly even the 2nd) string QB.

Thats what I am saying. Give him a fair chance to beat out Clemons. Why even carry a 3rd QB if we don't have to.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I doubt they'll put him over Clemons, unless they have no choice. If it's at all close they'll stick with Clemons simply for the veteran aspect of it. He can see things that Davis wont recognize... However, Davis will most likely battle for that 2nd spot next year after Bradford has a year under his belt. New system = Vet backup.

Iron Lion

Starter
I agree, and I want him on my team.

Our #3 sucks ass. He's 50-3 in college as a starter, eye-popping stats, all that stuff, but he can't play in the NFL.

Meanwhile I'd bet your guy probably looked average in college, at least numbers wise, and then comes in and looks very NFL ready. It just seems like that's the way it happens.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Iron Lion said:
I agree, and I want him on my team.

Our #3 sucks ass. He's 50-3 in college as a starter, eye-popping stats, all that stuff, but he can't play in the NFL.

Meanwhile I'd bet your guy probably looked average in college, at least numbers wise, and then comes in and looks very NFL ready. It just seems like that's the way it happens.

Played well at Southern Miss and actually broke quite a few of one Brett Favre's records there. Something about him just looks, as you say, NFL ready. Granted, I have only seen one HALF of a game from him, but he passes the eye test so far. And not in a Keith Null way either, haha.....

Iron Lion

Starter
From what I saw out of the guy, there was nothing that he did wrong. He was able to escape from the pocket when it broke down and then get rid of the ball. He could hit deep passes (although of course the receivers could not catch it). He made good decisions. Everything looked very good.

The issue of him going against the 2s and 3s is not as big a deal in evaluations as it is for other positions. If you're evaluating an O-lineman in the second half of a preseason game, you have to take into account that the level of competition is slower and weaker. But for a QB, the physical strength of defenders is not really an issue... it is really just an issue of the speed of the game.

The second issue in evaluating this kind of action is of course the scheming, or the lack thereof, in a preseason game. Although from what I could tell, the Colts were putting more effort into gameplanning than the Rams were (from what I've picked up on, sometimes teams with a new HC and regime will lean toward doing this, and sometimes they won't).

Ultimately there was nothing that Davis could have done differently to perform better. The issue of playing 2s and 3s, and the issue of scheming, is nothing more than a new obstacle for him to face later on rather than an indication that he had failed any test that was before him. A performance like this in a preseason game is much easier to evaluate than looking at a young, unpolished QB in college with talent on the field that on average isn't worthy of a spot on a 90-man roster and running schemes that are often times irrelevant to NFL play.

It is probable that the Rams will hold onto him, since Fisher & Co are the ones who brought him in, and he is a good insurance policy if Bradford either gets injured long-term or fails in this make-or-break year.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow Iron Lion....you have better insight and commentary on this team than a lot of our so called fans on another message board that shall remain nameless. Appreciate your viewpoints, and I share them 100% on this topic. BTW, I love Stafford. One of the best looking releases I have seen in this league. Keep him healthy, and keep your other studs off the police blotter and you have the makings of something special in Detroit for years to come. Lord knows you all deserve it. I think the Rams have become the new (old) Lions, haha.....

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
While I agree with most of these sentiments about A. Davis, and hope were are able to keep him on the PS. I think any comments about this being a "make or break year" for Sam are WAAAAY off base.

Of course he will be expected to show improvement, and given half a chance to succeed (unlike last year), I think he will. But "make or break" is simply not the case in my opinion.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
BigRamFan said:
But "make or break" is simply not the case in my opinion.
Or mine.

Mine either, but this at the very least a "come to Jesus" season, haha. If he is not able to stay healthy, find open receivers consistently and improve on last years performance, there should at least be some competition next year. We can make excuses for Sam all day, but we all know you have to find a way to win games in this league...one way or another. I know, I know......

captain-obvious.jpg

paceram

Pro Bowler
Or mine! While I do think Davis will win the 3rd string QB position and I think he will eventually win the 2nd string position I do not look for him (or anyone else) to beat out Sam Bradford for the starting position. I honestly think the only way another QB takes Bradford's place is through injury or retirement. Now that the Rams got Sam Bradford some weapons (Quick, Givens, Smith, Pead, etc) all he really needs now is an OL (and, I think they are off to a good start with Dahl, Saffold and hopefully a healthy Wells & Smith!) to give him some time to throw and Steve Jackson some space to run!

Iron Lion

Starter
Thanks Faceplant ;). I'm looking forward to seeing Davis again this week.

BigRamFan - there is zero chance you can sneak him onto the practice squad. The Lions would put in a waiver claim and wouldn't even get him.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Iron Lion said:
Thanks Faceplant ;). I'm looking forward to seeing Davis again this week.

BigRamFan - there is zero chance you can sneak him onto the practice squad. The Lions would put in a waiver claim and wouldn't even get him.

You very well could be right about this one. We saw how that worked out for us last year with T. Lewis.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I really hope the Rams don't put Davis on the practice squad. I agree with BigRamFan that the Rams would definitely lose him to another team.