Austin Davis - Interesting Stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think the high balls are on purpose to keep the defenders from getting it, and if you watch the game over the side line passes were all back shoulder were they are suppose to be. I give Davis the nod for the Dallas game.

Agree. Someone mentioned that he reminded them of D Brees. Before anyone goes bananas, I do NOT think AD is as talented as Drew, but I see a similar release from him. It may be that they are shorter and therefore have a more upward facing launch point, but I did notice a similar arch on some of those throws. I think Davis can only get better with all of the reps he is getting. At the very least, lets hope he matures into a solid backup and someone who we consider over an aging Hill for the future.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
If Davis starts and wins, I will buy his jersey and were it at the Eagles game !

AZRamsFan93

Give Davis another chance against Dallas. After watching the way he played against a so called mediocre defence, his throws were accurate and were they need to be ! He drove the team out of the end zone twice and got close to the red zone both times and close enough to at least come away with points! And a Win !
I only want to reply just thanking for posting this 4 times! :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was posted over at the Original Herd(not me), but the MPH thing is something I rarely see so I thought it deserved re-posting:

1. Weak Arm Myth - [blogs.ourlads.com]

Austin Davis's arm has looked fine to me. Seems there is consensus going around that he has a 'noodle' arm. Just because he doesn't gun it on every play doesn't mean he has a weak arm, touch and timing is important as well. If Brian Quick comes down with the long pass (which was thrown perfectly) the conversation we're having this week may be slightly different.

Just doing a bit of research, I found a website that tracked the football throwing velocity of quarterbacks who threw over the past few NFL draft combines. Here is how Austin Davis stacks up with the notables (please note some of the top guys i.e. Bradford, Luck don't usually throw). As a disclaimer, some of these guy’s throwing velocity could have improved after a few years in the NFL, so I’m not claiming that Austin Davis has as strong of an arm as Kaepernick per say, but entering the league, not many people heard issues about Kaepernick's arm strength (with his baseball background). This comparison is simply a baseline reference to argue against the weak arm myth.

2012 - Austin Davis - 58 MPH
2014 - Logan Thomas - 60 MPH
2014 - Blake Bortles - 56 MPH
2014 - Jimmy Garoppolo - 56 MPH
2013 - Geno Smith - 55 MPH
2013 - EJ Manuel - 54 MPH
2013 - Michael Glennon - 49 MPH
2012 - Kirk Cousins - 59 MPH
2012 - Brandon Weeden - 59 MPH
2012 - Nick Foles - 57 MPH
2012 - Russell Wilson - 55 MPH
2011 - Colin Kaepernick - 59 MPH
2011 - Andy Dalton - 56 MPH
2011 - Cam Newton - 56 MPH
2008 - Joe Flacco - 55 MPH

Austin Davis matched up well with some notable guys. Hopefully as he continues to play, the weak arm notion will start to go away.

2. Combine Scouting Report - [www.nfl.com]

Second-team All-Conference USA as a Senior, a conference which has surprisingly produced pro-ready quarterbacks over the years. He is a good athlete and an accurate short-intermediate passer. Started a lot of games and has the pocket presence to stand behind an NFL line early in his career. His prospects are hurt by the general elimination of the third-string quarterback in the NFL, and if he is selected on a flier late, will likely need some time to develop on a practice squad.

STRENGTHS: Davis is athletic and systematic in his drop back. Toward the end of his college career, he was hitting a lot of his second and third reads, a good sign when evaluating his NFL-readiness. He will need to show the ability to hit fast NFL receivers in stride on the deep ball, but shouldn't have any problems managing a West Coast offense.

WEAKNESSES: Davis hasn't played in many high-level games. Struggles with his deep ball at times and his arm strength have been a slow, yet steady progression throughout college. It remains to be seen whether or not he has the type of zip on his ball to hit a deep 15-yard out in the NFL.

I’m a huge Sam Bradford fan, but I’m not sure Sam makes some of those throws on that game winning drive on Sunday. It was eye opening to see Davis’s ability to sense the pocket breaking down, step up, and drive into the pocket while making those secondary and tertiary reads then making a smart decision. It is a very small sample size, but I think we might have something in Davis. He could also be a flash in the pan.

MPH from the Combine is a poor indicator of arm strength. It's entirely inconsistent with what you see on film year after year.

I can't agree on the "pass on a QB" idea. We need to add talent to this position.

No reason to draft a QB if you already have two players that have proven themselves to be starting caliber.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agree. Someone mentioned that he reminded them of D Brees. Before anyone goes bananas, I do NOT think AD is as talented as Drew, but I see a similar release from him. It may be that they are shorter and therefore have a more upward facing launch point, but I did notice a similar arch on some of those throws. I think Davis can only get better with all of the reps he is getting. At the very least, lets hope he matures into a solid backup and someone who we consider over an aging Hill for the future.

That seems to be the worst we will end up with here, and frankly if he plays at the level he did last week against the Cowboys I'll say he's already arrived at that and could ascend.......which is what I am hoping for. If he plays well enough to keep Hill on the bench I think we've got a QB we can win with.

AZRamsFan93

MPH from the Combine is a poor indicator of arm strength. It's entirely inconsistent with what you see on film year after year.

No reason to draft a QB if you already have two players that have proven themselves to be starting caliber.
If one of them has proven they have major problems staying healthy, then there is a strong reason to draft a QB.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Davis' mobility makes him an exciting player to watch and don't look now but our receivers might actually be developing into a strength. Shaun Hill isnt as mobile.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If one of them has proven they have major problems staying healthy, then there is a strong reason to draft a QB.

That makes no sense. That's the point of having two. How many starting caliber QBs do you need/plan to keep? Three is overkill. So if we were drafting a QB, that would mean we'd be either cutting or trading one.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I think the high balls are on purpose to keep the defenders from getting it, and if you watch the game over the side line passes were all back shoulder were they are suppose to be. I give Davis the nod for the Dallas game.
there were times he was hitting lone receivers with some high balls but we'll see this week if he keeps them on target. I'm withholding any real judgement good or bad until I see him play divisional games (if he does). If Hill starts again in the future and does poorly we'll be having a lot of the Davis conversations again

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
there were times he was hitting lone receivers with some high balls but we'll see this week if he keeps them on target. I'm withholding any real judgement good or bad until I see him play divisional games (if he does). If Hill starts again in the future and does poorly we'll be having a lot of the Davis conversations again
lets hope he does well !

AZRamsFan93

That makes no sense. That's the point of having two. How many starting caliber QBs do you need/plan to keep? Three is overkill. So if we were drafting a QB, that would mean we'd be either cutting or trading one.
Let us assume Davis proves himself as a starter. Bradford cannot be counted on to stay healthy, and the Rams should not pay him 16M next year - he is too risky. So, they need to draft a QB regardless of how Davis plays. It makes complete sense. A Rams fan should be the first to see why your 3rd string QB should need to be starter quality....since we are starting one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let us assume Davis proves himself as a starter. Bradford cannot be counted on to stay healthy, and the Rams should not pay him 16M next year - he is too risky. So, they need to draft a QB regardless of how Davis plays. It makes complete sense. A Rams fan should be the first to see why your 3rd string QB should need to be starter quality....since we are starting one.

You have scarce resources in the NFL. The third string QB is not the type of resource that you should be spending important draft capital on...especially if you have two starting caliber QBs already. So no, I don't see why we should need one. The odds that you end up starting your 3rd string QB are low. It's something that happens to probably two teams a year. And I'd argue that only typically one of the two starting him is out of necessity.

It's overkill. So...if we're planning to cut Bradford and not bring him back at a reduced price, fine, draft one.(but not in the first round) But if we have Bradford and Davis, no, we don't need another QB. Especially with us ALSO having the right to retain Case Keenum.

This is all assuming that Davis proves himself a starter...which is unlikely but I hope it happens.

RamWoodie

Legend
I thought I was pretty objective. More than most. He got way too much credit for freaking out, before the team won..come on. I gave him credit for pre-snap, you missed it?
I think you're reading into what you saw on the sidelines...WHAT DID YOU HEAR? NOTHING. Therefore you're assuming Austin "freaked out"....but what do yo know?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think you're reading into what you saw on the sidelines...WHAT DID YOU HEAR? NOTHING. Therefore you're assuming Austin "freaked out"....but what do yo know?

I really don't like when people celebrate the win, before it happens...that is all.

Last edited:

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Surprisingly I think AD might have some worthwhile potential. Sure haven't seen enough yet to comment on it. I'm interested in seeing what he will do this week against the Cowboys.
On a different note though, some of you are saying he's "mobile." Sure he's younger than Hill and so he can move around a little more, but I have never seen him greatly extend a play with is feet. Or scramble for good yardage. Why all the comments about how mobile he is? (all this being said, i really hope he turns into something good)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only time he was really pumped up, was when the team was already OFF the field, and before the game winning FG.

Since you guys are still discussing this comment, Doc, I gotta disagree. He was definitely pumped up after the Pettis catch. They showed him making some of gesture...maybe a fist pump and yelling towards the Rams sideline.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Surprisingly I think AD might have some worthwhile potential. Sure haven't seen enough yet to comment on it. I'm interested in seeing what he will do this week against the Cowboys.
On a different note though, some of you are saying he's "mobile." Sure he's younger than Hill and so he can move around a little more, but I have never seen him greatly extend a play with is feet. Or scramble for good yardage. Why all the comments about how mobile he is? (all this being said, i really hope he turns into something good)
I think that what we saw from him early on, like past preseason play, that he would pull the ball down and run, or scramble out of the pocket. He's a decent athlete, but not a gifted one. I'd call him scrappy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Since you guys are still discussing this comment, Doc, I gotta disagree. He was definitely pumped up after the Pettis catch. They showed him making some of gesture...maybe a fist pump and yelling towards the Rams sideline.
I'm really not discussing it anymore, jrry32. I already said how I felt. I gave a lot of praise towards his performance also, in this thread and others. I wish the best for him, and particularly the Rams, if the two are synonymous, awesome, and I'm all for it.