Austin Davis - Interesting Stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You're putting the guy under a microscope though...and that's quite unfair.

There were a few time Davis had to go through his progressions and the first options where not there. Furthermore why should he be "pumped on the field? He's the qurterback...he has to get the playcall, relay it to his teammates, get them to the line. get his pre-snap read and audible if necessary.

With all that to do...yeah...you be pumped on the sideline...and focused in the huddle.

Now you're right...folks shouldn't jump the gun and say he's the 2nd coming of Bret Farve...but be objective also. The kid was given an opportunity...and he delivered...PERIOD!!!
I thought I was pretty objective. More than most. He got way too much credit for freaking out, before the team won..come on. I gave him credit for pre-snap, you missed it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no problem with that, and I've defended Bradford for people saying he was "locking in" on a receiver, a term that is one of the most overused in football, by people who don't know what they are talking about. If the 1st option is open...you throw it...period. That is why I give Shotty the credit that he doesn't, normally, get in this forum. He designed plays for players to get open, kudos to him. If that continues to be the case, then Shotty will be, one of the best OC's in the game, and Davis will get most of the credit. If that happens, I'd love it, because my beloved Rams would be winning games.

For what it's worth, the game plan, probably helped our receivers too.

Yea, the locking on line annoys me. As does the staring down line. Staring down a WR is applicable on routes where you need to look off a defender to create a window. It's not applicable to a 5 yard hitch route against man coverage. You don't look off a defender on every play. It's used against zone coverage in certain circumstances. Can't tell you how many times I see people claim "QB X is staring down the WR". No, he's reading the coverage and delivering the ball to a WR as you're taught to do.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can't tell you how many times I see people claim "QB X is staring down the WR"
Well, they're lying. I'm reading the coverage and delivering the ball to a WR as I was taught.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, they're lying. I'm reading the coverage and delivering the ball to a WR as I was taught.

You're -X-. It's a different person. Handle your ego. ;)

TexasRam

Legend
Ive watched the Bucs game about 5 times now. Here is what stands out about Davis:

He reminds me alot of Drew Brees.

He sets up very quickly.
He makes quick reads identifying the open man.
He gets the ball out real quick
He has a good feel for sliding/stepping up in the pocket
Throws some accurate balls.

Night and day difference from Braford and Hill in quick setup and quick ball release.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
You're putting the guy under a microscope though...and that's quite unfair.

There were a few time Davis had to go through his progressions and the first options where not there. Furthermore why should he be "pumped on the field? He's the qurterback...he has to get the playcall, relay it to his teammates, get them to the line. get his pre-snap read and audible if necessary.

With all that to do...yeah...you be pumped on the sideline...and focused in the huddle.

Now you're right...folks shouldn't jump the gun and say he's the 2nd coming of Bret Farve...but be objective also. The kid was given an opportunity...and he delivered...PERIOD!!!

THIS. Go Rams....... ;)

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Love him on the roll out, but not much on the ball and sloppy delivery. That said, the ball must be very "catchable" given the number of catches against Tampa. The OL can't pass block so I'd stay with him until they can.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We currently need the mobility from the QB that only Davis has so he needs to play until they either prove that the line can play better and or the run game takes off.
A 34 year old QB with a bad wheel will be a disaster in this offense right now.

Alan

Legend
Anybody remember that game Fitzharvard played for us where he threw for about 20 TDs? Looked like Peyton Manning to me.

nighttrain

Legend
I was perusing PFF and I stumbled upon some interesting stats for Austin Davis. I thought I'd share them with you. Obviously, it's only been 1.5 games for him and the 1 game was against a very vulnerable TB defense so I wouldn't buy too much into them but I do think they're interesting. They definitely lend credence to the theory that we should start Austin Davis against Dallas.

PFF QB Rating - 100.51(#3 in the NFL behind Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson)
% of Yards in Air - 71.7%(#1 in the NFL)
Yards Per Attempt - 8.21(#3 in the NFL behind Andy Dalton and Peyton Manning)
Accuracy% - 80.0%(#3 in the NFL behind Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson)
Deep Passing Accuracy% - 85.7%(#1 in the NFL; 25.7% ahead of 2nd place)
Pressure% - 39.7%(6th most in the NFL)
Completion% Under Pressure - 52.9%(10th best in the NFL)

Percentage of Yards in Air bothers me because that means our WRs aren't picking up YAC.

However, I thought his high rankings in these stats is surprising and interesting. Like I said, only 1.5 games so it's not anything to fawn over yet but I think he's earned another start this weekend.

nice research jrry32, some very good #'s for our 2nd year QB
train

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Anybody remember that game Fitzharvard played for us where he threw for about 20 TDs? Looked like Peyton Manning to me.
The "Houston, we have a solution" game(yes I just made that up). Down 24-3 at half, the Amish Rifle led the Rams back while throwing 3 td's. OT win.

I thought he was the 2nd coming if Warner lol.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well he is still winning games in the league. Must have something going???

Alan

Legend
blackbart with half the story:
Well he is still winning games in the league. Must have something going???
Rams, Bengals, Bills, Titans, Texans. Seems to wear out his welcome pretty quickly though doesn't he? ;)

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem with that, and I've defended Bradford for people saying he was "locking in" on a receiver, a term that is one of the most overused in football, by people who don't know what they are talking about. If the 1st option is open...you throw it...period. That is why I give Shotty the credit that he doesn't, normally, get in this forum. He designed plays for players to get open, kudos to him. If that continues to be the case, then Shotty will be, one of the best OC's in the game, and Davis will get most of the credit. If that happens, I'd love it, because my beloved Rams would be winning games.

For what it's worth, the game plan, probably helped our receivers too.
We all have been screaming for this type of game plan, some shots downfield for a long time. We have some deep threats now. Shotty is adapting to what we all saw was an necessary adjustment to the game plan to open up the running game or move the chains on a 3rd and 9 instead of the draw play for 3 yards. Rams appear to have the pieces to the puzzle in place with the QB and receivers and it's coming together. Shotty did call a great game!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was very impressed with his poise, throws, pre snap reads, and play overall. Not impressed with when the 1st option was not there. Not impressed with people saying that he's the answer, or that he's a leader. The only time he was really pumped up, was when the team was already OFF the field, and before the game winning FG. I hope people don't interpret this as hate, because I am far from a hater. I really give Shotty, most of the credit for his performance, and I know that people are not inclined to do that, but that is my analysis of the game.

I think it does prove one thing for sure...we can win, if our QB doesn't make a ton of mistakes, our defense makes timely TO's, and our WR's, play very well, overall. It was a good team win. I really like the improvement, of Davis, night and day, and I really like how he handled himself in that game. My hope, is that he can improve from that, because if he only goes for his #1 option, our team is screwed....teams will pick up on that, and jump on every throw. If he improves...that will actually work to our advantage.

Happy, to see a great, team win. Very disappointed in Ogletree, he just doesn't seem to be playing hard, or fast.
I don't get it. Even the announcers were praising him for going through his reads. The kid made plays most young qbs wouldn't make especially with all the pressure in his face. He deserves all the credit he is getting. Especially when a lot of people was already writing him off and wanting Keenum to play

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Rams, Bengals, Bills, Titans, Texans. Seems to wear out his welcome pretty quickly though doesn't he? ;)

Part of that is the grass is always greener. People think they need a great qb to win when you really need a complete team. None of those teams were built to win.

Alan

Legend
blue4 with his thoughts about life and greener pastures:
Part of that is the grass is always greener. People think they need a great qb to win when you really need a complete team. None of those teams were built to win.
That could be part of it blue but no one gets rid of a QB unless they think they have someone better. I think he'd make a great back up QB if he wasn't so expensive.

AZRamsFan93

I don't want to get ahead of myself. I am just hoping for Ryan Fitzpatrick haha. But if he were to play well for the remaining 14 games, I think we'd pass on a QB and bring Sam back. Just my guess, though. And I guess it depends how we define "well".(by well, I mean above average football relative to starters)
I can't agree on the "pass on a QB" idea. We need to add talent to this position.