Austin Davis - Interesting Stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I really wasn't a fan of his all of preseason, and especially after having seen him up close in Miami. Man did he look bad to me. But what I'm noticing about him is that he heats up when the heat is on. I've never bought into the idea that QBs can elevate those around him, but I am a firm believer that a QB can elevate his own play when it counts. He's changed my mind a bit, and I'd like to see an offense designed around him going after defenses early. Get him into a groove, or even put him in a crisis situation. Either way, it appears to me that he thrives in environments that aren't so structured.
Sadly I can relate to this formerly being in sales... Always seemed I outshined everyone being stressed and in a environment not so structured.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
There will be some bogus excuse why Hill can't start, don't you worry none about that.

But if Davis shits the bed just watch how fast Hill "recovers" in time to step in and the cover up will continue in to another post game.

Of course if Davis plays well again, going in to the bye, it will make it impossible for Fisher to keep dancing the Texas two step there after.

And you think the "cover up " extends so DEEP it includes not having Hill practice? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was perusing PFF and I stumbled upon some interesting stats for Austin Davis. I thought I'd share them with you. Obviously, it's only been 1.5 games for him and the 1 game was against a very vulnerable TB defense so I wouldn't buy too much into them but I do think they're interesting. They definitely lend credence to the theory that we should start Austin Davis against Dallas.

PFF QB Rating - 100.51(#3 in the NFL behind Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson)
% of Yards in Air - 71.7%(#1 in the NFL)
Yards Per Attempt - 8.21(#3 in the NFL behind Andy Dalton and Peyton Manning)
Accuracy% - 80.0%(#3 in the NFL behind Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson)
Deep Passing Accuracy% - 85.7%(#1 in the NFL; 25.7% ahead of 2nd place)
Pressure% - 39.7%(6th most in the NFL)
Completion% Under Pressure - 52.9%(10th best in the NFL)

Percentage of Yards in Air bothers me because that means our WRs aren't picking up YAC.

However, I thought his high rankings in these stats is surprising and interesting. Like I said, only 1.5 games so it's not anything to fawn over yet but I think he's earned another start this weekend.
I'm licking my chops on the thought of how much more padded the stats would be if Quick catches that long bomb that was put right on the money!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm licking my chops on the thought of how much more padded the stats would be if Quick catches that long bomb that was put right on the money!

Yeah, something tells me he's catching that throw next time. It was a game changer and perfectly thrown.

fancents86

Starter
He had a great game but there is one stat that nobody is mentioning. I think he has earned one more shot at QB but he needs to prove that he can score touchdowns before he can be factored in as a solution.
I think he would have gotten us a td on the winning drive, but fisher kept it conservative and went for a fg.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I really wasn't a fan of his all of preseason, and especially after having seen him up close in Miami. Man did he look bad to me. But what I'm noticing about him is that he heats up when the heat is on. I've never bought into the idea that QBs can elevate those around him, but I am a firm believer that a QB can elevate his own play when it counts. He's changed my mind a bit, and I'd like to see an offense designed around him going after defenses early. Get him into a groove, or even put him in a crisis situation. Either way, it appears to me that he thrives in environments that aren't so structured.
I was very impressed with his poise, throws, pre snap reads, and play overall. Not impressed with when the 1st option was not there. Not impressed with people saying that he's the answer, or that he's a leader. The only time he was really pumped up, was when the team was already OFF the field, and before the game winning FG. I hope people don't interpret this as hate, because I am far from a hater. I really give Shotty, most of the credit for his performance, and I know that people are not inclined to do that, but that is my analysis of the game.

I think it does prove one thing for sure...we can win, if our QB doesn't make a ton of mistakes, our defense makes timely TO's, and our WR's, play very well, overall. It was a good team win. I really like the improvement, of Davis, night and day, and I really like how he handled himself in that game. My hope, is that he can improve from that, because if he only goes for his #1 option, our team is screwed....teams will pick up on that, and jump on every throw. If he improves...that will actually work to our advantage.

Happy, to see a great, team win. Very disappointed in Ogletree, he just doesn't seem to be playing hard, or fast.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think he would have gotten us a td on the winning drive, but fisher kept it conservative and went for a fg.

Very possible but it remains to be seen. Hypotheticals were for the Spags era.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Marc Bulger part 2 without taking all of the hits I hope! I say Bulger in terms of him being #3 on the depth chart. Can you guys imagine the future if he does well throughout the season? Do we draft a QB in the first or second rounds? 16 games would be a pretty good sample size.

Except Bulger couldn't run for shite.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm convinced that Davis is an "unconventional player" because during camp the reports were he was erratic or inconsistent...but everytime I see the guy on the field that's not the case.

That leads me to believe Davis is like the guy that can't take a written test...but if you ask the questions, he'll give you the answers.

Austin Davis has a tall order coming up Sunday if Hill still can't play.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was very impressed with his poise, throws, pre snap reads, and play overall. Not impressed with when the 1st option was not there. Not impressed with people saying that he's the answer, or that he's a leader. The only time he was really pumped up, was when the team was already OFF the field, and before the game winning FG. I hope people don't interpret this as hate, because I am far from a hater. I really give Shotty, most of the credit for his performance, and I know that people are not inclined to do that, but that is my analysis of the game.

I think it does prove one thing for sure...we can win, if our QB doesn't make a ton of mistakes, our defense makes timely TO's, and our WR's, play very well, overall. It was a good team win. I really like the improvement, of Davis, night and day, and I really like how he handled himself in that game. My hope, is that he can improve from that, because if he only goes for his #1 option, our team is screwed....teams will pick up on that, and jump on every throw. If he improves...that will actually work to our advantage.

Happy, to see a great, team win. Very disappointed in Ogletree, he just doesn't seem to be playing hard, or fast.
THIS

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was very excited for his play, and the game plan for him, but did anybody notice that the plays were designed to get players open, and he essentially rarely went through ANY progressions? Not hating, and give props to Shotty, and Davis for playing under composure, but better than Hill??? Davis did a good job of getting us in and out of plays at the LOS, but I was a little concerned at the 1 option throws.
Well with his completion percentage maybe there just was no need to read anything but the first option because they were open and he was mostly on target. I did not see many balls forced into small windows. He did extend some plays and improvise a few times so again I did not see much to be concerned about.

A FWIW I agree Davis needs to start this week.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well with his completion percentage maybe there just was no need to read anything but the first option because they were open and he was mostly on target. I did not see many balls forced into small windows. He did extend some plays and improvise a few times so again I did not see much to be concerned about.

A FWIW I agree Davis needs to start this week.
I have no problem with that, and I've defended Bradford for people saying he was "locking in" on a receiver, a term that is one of the most overused in football, by people who don't know what they are talking about. If the 1st option is open...you throw it...period. That is why I give Shotty the credit that he doesn't, normally, get in this forum. He designed plays for players to get open, kudos to him. If that continues to be the case, then Shotty will be, one of the best OC's in the game, and Davis will get most of the credit. If that happens, I'd love it, because my beloved Rams would be winning games.

For what it's worth, the game plan, probably helped our receivers too.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

I am right there with you. This was one of Shottenheimer's best games. He had some very well designed plays that were very effective against the Buccaneers.

But I have to give Davis credit as well. He wasn't trying to be a hero but he sure did execute well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am right there with you. This was one of Shottenheimer's best games. He had some very well designed plays that were very effective against the Buccaneers.

But I have to give Davis credit as well. He wasn't trying to be a hero but he sure did execute well.
He did, but we left a lot of plays out there...everybody does, but I'd like to see the execution better, in the red zone, and that is not all on him. Everyone needs to execute in the red zone...no more stupid mistakes when you can change the game.

RamWoodie

Legend
You're putting the guy under a microscope though...and that's quite unfair.

There were a few time Davis had to go through his progressions and the first options where not there. Furthermore why should he be "pumped on the field? He's the qurterback...he has to get the playcall, relay it to his teammates, get them to the line. get his pre-snap read and audible if necessary.

With all that to do...yeah...you be pumped on the sideline...and focused in the huddle.

Now you're right...folks shouldn't jump the gun and say he's the 2nd coming of Bret Farve...but be objective also. The kid was given an opportunity...and he delivered...PERIOD!!!