Austin Davis - Interesting Commentary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw this on Davis's ESPN Fantasy page and I figured it was interesting enough to pass it along:
Austin Davis attempted 15 passes under duress Monday, including a game-sealing pick-six. Davis is the only player to throw 15 passes under duress in multiple games this season. Quarterbacks have a 3-12 record the last two seasons when throwing 15 or more passes under duress. Even with a chaotic pocket, Davis has tallied 19.3 fantasy points per game over his past three starts and faces a Seahawks defense allowing the fifth-most fantasy points on the road this season. While starting status in standard leagues escapes Davis this week on a light bye for the position, those in deeper formats can strongly consider Davis a viable streaming asset.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
he's the new kid so defensive coordinators are going to come after him hammer and tong hopefully the OL will do well enough did we see that number drop waaaaaaay down because when he's had even just a little bit of time he's been money

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams are throwing too much IMHO they need to focus on running the football and I also think Mason could be an asset against the Seahawks. Cowboys proved running the ball kept the Hawk defense off balance and I am hoping the Auburn boys have a coming out party on Sunday and Davis does not have to attempt many passes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams are throwing too much IMHO they need to focus on running the football and I also think Mason could be an asset against the Seahawks. Cowboys proved running the ball kept the Hawk defense off balance and I am hoping the Auburn boys have a coming out party on Sunday and Davis does not have to attempt many passes.

Agreed. Mason just needs to learn how to pick-up the blitz.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agreed. Mason just needs to learn how to pick-up the blitz.

And that's why he has not been playing, IMO, he needs a year of NFL strength & conditioning because he gives up far too much ground once he engages.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Ifthey don't fall behind as much as they have been they won't have to throw as much......I understand they have to run to protect the lead and maybe they haven't done that as much as they could but when you get down by two or three scores you've got to start throwing the ball

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that's why he has not been playing, IMO, he needs a year of NFL strength & conditioning because he gives up far too much ground once he engages.

S&C will help but much of that is technique. Mason is trying to sit back and catch the blitzer. He needs to attack him. When a bigger guy is coming full speed and you try to catch him and block him while at a stand-still, he's going to run you over or blow you back. Mason needs to attack him and move to meet him while under control. That's what Stacy does so well. The thing about being so short is that you have the leverage battle won. You meet him with momentum and you can get underneath the defender. At minimum, this will allow you to hit him and knock him back or to the side even if you can't sustain the block which will slow him down.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
S&C will help but much of that is technique. Mason is trying to sit back and catch the blitzer. He needs to attack him. When a bigger guy is coming full speed and you try to catch him and block him while at a stand-still, he's going to run you over or blow you back. Mason needs to attack him and move to meet him while under control. That's what Stacy does so well. The thing about being so short is that you have the leverage battle won. You meet him with momentum and you can get underneath the defender. At minimum, this will allow you to hit him and knock him back or to the side even if you can't sustain the block which will slow him down.

And another thing I think Stacy does really well is he uses the guys momentum and weight against him and he doesn't engage head on. He is smart and engages at a good angle so that he can use his weight to push the guy away. I watched him ride some guys out of the way just enough to make a big difference.

For such a young guy he really does do a good job back there. Mason is a drop-off but he's still a baby.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And another thing I think Stacy does really well is he uses the guys momentum and weight against him and he doesn't engage head on. He is smart and engages at a good angle so that he can use his weight to push the guy away. I watched him ride some guys out of the way just enough to make a big difference.

For such a young guy he really does do a good job back there. Mason is a drop-off but he's still a baby.

Yep. That's good technique. Just gotta make sure you don't allow them inside of you by doing that. Gotta push them outside and past the QB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sounds like we have serious protection issues @jrry32 but I noticed that TE's that we were led to believe could pass-pro were getting punked by any OLB that played. I seriously question Lance Kendricks commitment to this team the way he was blocking...Harkey too...We kept believing these guys excelled at pass pro and their deficiencies in pass catching could be overlooked. Hell, they say Mason can't play cause he can't block..bullsh!t....I am hoping we target a serious BLOCKING TE to go with Cook if that's the effort that's going on....Davis is playing with a stacked deck, much like Bradford & others...QB's can't expect to be successful if under that type of pressure constantly...He's actually done well to cover up some serious issues....gotta applaud the man...

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

I disagree in terms of Stacy. He is also a "catcher." as well as Cunningham. Pass blocking and wiggle are why Pead was always going to make this team(before injury and assuming a good rehab) will be in the mix next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree in terms of Stacy. He is also a "catcher." as well as Cunningham. Pass blocking and wiggle are why Pead was always going to make this team(before injury and assuming a good rehab) will be in the mix next year.

Nah. Stacy is usually pretty aggressive. Can be to his detriment at times. Cunningham is aggressive too. Just inconsistent.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Sounds like we have serious protection issues @jrry32 but I noticed that TE's that we were led to believe could pass-pro were getting punked by any OLB that played. I seriously question Lance Kendricks commitment to this team the way he was blocking...Harkey too...We kept believing these guys excelled at pass pro and their deficiencies in pass catching could be overlooked. Hell, they say Mason can't play cause he can't block..bullsh!t....I am hoping we target a serious BLOCKING TE to go with Cook if that's the effort that's going on....Davis is playing with a stacked deck, much like Bradford & others...QB's can't expect to be successful if under that type of pressure constantly...He's actually done well to cover up some serious issues....gotta applaud the man...

To be fair, the 49ers are ridiculous with their LBers. The TEs haven't been as bad in other games.

Athos

Legend
Our TEs couldn't block a pillow half the time which is a problem.

But so are Joseph, Long, and Wells. Central pieces to the line, underperforming to a frightening degree.

fearsomefour

Legend
This occurs to me every week. Despite the spin I think the Rams want to be a pass first attacking offense....based on the O they tried to run last year and the approach this year.

Athos

Legend
This occurs to me every week. Despite the spin I think the Rams want to be a pass first attacking offense....based on the O they tried to run last year and the approach this year.

Didn't give all that money to Cook and spend all those picks on WRs to be more run oriented. Problem is, they still need to build the offensive line. Long is looking like a blackhole of money.

Probably need to look at another lineman in the draft next year. Or shift Long to OG and move GRob to LT.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
guess what! i know how they can fix this pressure problem on Davis. RUN THE FUCKING BALL!! christ was I the only one watching them gash that stout D in the first half with Tavon Mason Stacy Cunnigham what else do you want Schottenheimer!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the reason the run was wide open was the 49ers feared the Rams' passing attack for the first time in, well, a long, long time. They were focused on taking away the deep ball and did it.

Schotty does need to get better at riding that running game until they adjust. Then go back to the deep throws in early downs when the 9er defense may be loading the run to stop it. It's that instinctive play calling ability that the best ones have.

A lot of this comes down to Davis too, of course. What he needs to go back to is moving the chains. That has been his biggest benefit to this offense, not the deep ball. Move the chains, and give this offense more and more snaps they can use to hammer that running game or take more shots. I think he's really close to being able to do that, he just ran into a top passing defense this past game. How he plays vs Seattle will be a big tell on what we can expect the rest of the way.

fearsomefour

Legend
Didn't give all that money to Cook and spend all those picks on WRs to be more run oriented. Problem is, they still need to build the offensive line. Long is looking like a blackhole of money.

Probably need to look at another lineman in the draft next year. Or shift Long to OG and move GRob to LT.
Yeah it is frustrating.
Long had a quick recovery from surgery. We will how he improves as the season progresses.