Austin Davis: “I’m very comfortable with this offense.”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams quarterback Austin Davis talks about potentially starting on Sunday against Tampa Bay, what he has seen out of their defense and how comfortable he is in the Rams offense. Davis: “I’m very comfortable with this offense.”

Listen to Austin Davis' Interview

Athos

Legend
That may be true, but he doesn't appear at all comfortable in recognizing pressures and getting an audible out of the play in time or at all....

Hope he learns quick.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I am not comfortable with him at QB at all. Hope Hill can play and Keenum learns the playbook fast. The Rams need to get Keenum ahead of Davis ASAP.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Well this is the best way and his chance to play some real NFL football. Not that I'm comfortable with him starting but who knows, maybe he'll pick up quick.

Idk if it was just me but it seemed Davis and Hill we're both afraid to throw it down field? Big plays happen by going big, gotta do something boys!

MFaulk107

The Realness
I don't mind Austin as a passer, he's ok, I'm more concerned about his pocket awareness
Exactly. I feel his awareness is awful. When was in the pocket he always seemed nervous of defenders. I also just think he's not to good at reading defenses.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Well, if he does start, I hope to god he proves me wrong about him. I don't see an NFL caliber quarterback.

I still say that if Hill is not starting for the Rams this season, we're in deep, deep trouble.

@MFaulk107 - Hill pushed the ball downfield quite a bit. Just came back due to defensive PI not being called or stupid offensive penalties.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Well this is the best way and his chance to play some real NFL football. Not that I'm comfortable with him starting but who knows, maybe he'll pick up quick.

Idk if it was just me but it seemed Davis and Hill we're both afraid to throw it down field? Big plays happen by going big, gotta do something boys!
Both Hill and Davis completed passes down field. In fact the both of them combined for 5 of them. I'm fine with Davis talent wise, but he just does not seem ready at all. He took a few sacks by holding onto the ball too long and it just didn't seem to click for him completely. Could be it was first game jitters but it could also be the fact that he was harassed whenever he dropped back (thanks offensive line).

Tweed335

UDFA
To take this speculation a bit further: Could we see Gilbert at all this season?

That's who I'm curious about. Definitely don't want him to get roasted, but by mid season if the QB spot isn't figured out, maybe a baptism by fire isn't a bad idea.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marshall is thinking with his heart. Which, btw, is why I love him. The fact that he's rooting with us is huge.

Anyway, Davis will get his shot this year. Here's hoping he makes the most of it, as the difference between being a career depth guy and a potential player at QB in this league is a handful of successful plays per game.

If not, well then that's ok. We'll hope Keenum can take advantage. If not him, then it'll be next year's first round draft pick.

And so it goes. Got my fingers crossed either way.

cracengl

Rookie
Well, if he does start, I hope to god he proves me wrong about him. I don't see an NFL caliber quarterback.

I still say that if Hill is not starting for the Rams this season, we're in deep, deep trouble.

@MFaulk107 - Hill pushed the ball downfield quite a bit. Just came back due to defensive PI not being called or stupid offensive penalties.

I don't buy into the idea of refs costing us the game. Don't make the dumb penalties (with the exception of a few that were questionable) and they won't have them to call; however, they sure as hell never seem to let anything slide when it comes to the Rams. I'd like to see what we can accomplish when there are not constant 10 yard deficits to overcome.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think the coaches need to call a lot of bootlegs and roll outs with Davis if he plays.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
If Davis plays the Rams have no chance to win, he cant play when the bullets are flying. Come on Hill be ready for Sunday!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He may be comfortable with this offense but he sure doesn't look comfortable with the opposing defense.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think having time to practice and actually be around the 1st unit will do Austin good, really unfair to judge him based on what happened in the last game, not too many QBs would look much better if asked to come off the bench ice cold and suddenly lead a bunch of guys he's barely played with to victory, especially after they all already gave up.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Having Davis in their scares me too, but I do recall, when Wilson first started for the 'Hawks' He was getting 'Clobbered' a lot! ( By the Rams D) It was Davis's 1st game in the NFL! And he got thrown-into it un-expectedly!

goldenram

UDFA
I think having time to practice and actually be around the 1st unit will do Austin good, really unfair to judge him based on what happened in the last game, not too many QBs would look much better if asked to come off the bench ice cold and suddenly lead a bunch of guys he's barely played with to victory, especially after THEY ALL ALREADY GAVE UP.

Well said... If he were a first-second round pick playing in his first game and played as he did last week, there would not be near as many negative comments about him playing. I know this isn't College by a long-shot, but everyone ready to jump and put Keenum in over two quarters of Davis' first game. When both these two played in College Spread Offenses and when head to head, Davis plain out played Keenum and knocked them out of a BCS Bowl. That said, I believe both these guys are very smart and athletic QBs that in the right system with decent protection could be pretty decent QBs. Time to be patient and give one of them a chance to see what they can do.
KEENUM.jpg
Conference+USA+Championship+Game+Southern+XGPmFusV5Cvl.jpg