Austin Davis for Starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think even at this point only being the 4th week. Taking Davis out and putting in Hill would break down the chemistry in which Davis and Quick have already formed during the season thus far. I say continue Davis and let the kid mold himself to this team and do great things for he deserves it.
Not just Davis and Quick, but the rest of the line and offense in general.

Those rollouts are something we're most definitely not accustomed to seeing executed so well. Plus I really believe we still have more aspects of the running game that haven't reached their peak in terms of effectiveness as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agree with virtually everything you say except the bit about AD working his way into a Kolb/Cassell like situation. That's certainly a possibility, I just don't see it as all that probable......as of right now. Of course, if he gets a few more games experience and continues to play at the high level he has thus far, then anything is possible.

And yes, every QB throws some bad INT's occasionally. Brett Favre made some of THE dumbest rookie mistakes in his last few yrs that you could find any QB doing. So, I don't put anything more on AD for that than any other QB. It just amazes me how many Rams' fans just seem to totally ignore the mistakes he's made, but would nitpick every little hangnail of a flaw in Bradford's game....ad nauseum.

I would also agree that I'm not all that convinced Hill actually does provide any better option at QB than does AD. But it's Fisher's job and I understand he's playing the percentages and would probably do the same in his shoes. For better or worse, you pretty well know what you're gonna get out of Hill. With AD, he might go on to be another Kurt Warner like story. But what are the odds? I mean, think about it....what are the odds of one franchise having 2 such 'storybook' made for the movies careers happen at all....let alone 2 within 15 yr of each other. It might happen. And I might hit the Powerball next week too.
As I said, I agree that he is not getting near the scrutiny of Bradford but expectations are what they are and you can't honestly expect that an UDFA is going to be viewed under the same microscope as the first overall pick. Right or wrong, it's just not going to be that way.

As to AD being the next Warner? Not a chance at this point in time. But I don't think anyone is realistically expecting THAT kind of story. There is no way anyone can look at AD at this point in his career and think he has the tools, experience, and wherewithal that Warner had in '99. But that doesn't mean the kid can't be special and a real gamer.

I don't know who should start in reality. I know who I'd prefer being that I watched him in person and on TV and see some pretty good upside with Austin. I honestly believe he could be real good. And in a couple years - who knows?

I know many question his arm strength but watching him throw in warm-ups and the game along with three other QBs (two from Tampa) he appeared to have the most zip on his passes. He also stands strong in the pocket and can use his legs (so can Hill). He is going to gamble some. But how many here are not ready to see a little gambling? Quick, Britt, Cook, and Kendricks are going to win most of the jump balls coming their way and Sted has shown he can make adjustments. Hell - even Pettis has shown he can body up and snatch balls out of the reach of the CB.

My opinion is - roll the dice with AD. And if he has a bad game or two, keep rolling them bones. Hill knows the role of back-up. He can take it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been a long time since I've seen the Rams' offense sustain drives like they have the past two games. Davis is the best QB on this roster right now, it's not close between him and Hill.

Hopefully Fish will prolong the phantom leg injury and give Davis a chance. I think our offense will move at will with Davis running it against the Philly defense.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I have a sneaky suspicion that Fisher has already decided to go with Davis already.

For the same obvious reasons that we have determined.

I think he's just playing his cards close to his vest, for now.

If I'm wrong and Fisher actually does start Hill, well...

I think that becomes the beginning of the end for Fisher with me.
I hear you, something tells me Fisher isn't stupid and he's going to go with Davis

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm thrilled that Austin has exceeded expectations and has given the fan base hope for the future, but I don't think you discount Hill. I think Davis has great potential, but I am waiting for him to hit the slump.that all young players do when they start to struggle and lose confidence. That's why veteran coaching staff's go after veteran quarterbacks because they are more emotionally prepared to get through the toug stretches without being emotionally beat down. I hope the coaching staff sticks with Austin as long as he's hot, but goes quickly to Hill if Davis begins to struggle. I think this is a year where the Rams stay aggressive in competing for a winning season am don't rollover to give a young promising qb extra snaps. As you can probably tell, I'm not quite completely sold on Davis yet although he has far exceeded my expectations.

goldenram

UDFA
Kinda Stole this partial quote from Bumrap on one of the OTHER boards, but interesting.

Look now I liked this kid, Bridgewater was the most NFL ready QB to come out this year followed by Carr. Rams had their pick and it was Garrett. But post actually is about Davis. Teddy does the same things well. Mobility, Pocket Pressence and anticipation and accuracy. Davis has played even better over the past 2.5 games. Davis' numbers for Teddy would be considered as affirmation and Bridgewater fans and Vikes will feel confident they have their man.

So why is it so hard for Rams and Ram Fans to accept or respect the play of Davis? Its like we have to hedge when saying we think this guy may be the guy. He is the closest thing to the guy that we have seen in a long while. Dallas beat New Orleans and Vikes beat the Falcons. Hope is still alive. Lets enjoy it and embrace what we have win lose or draw but let Davis finish cutting his teeth. Let him disqualify himself if that is even possible.

Davis's college numbers: His final stats were: 933-1527 (61.1%) for 10,898 yards, 83 touchdowns against just 27 interceptions. He also ran the ball 460 times for 1,375 yards and 25 touchdowns. He also caught 2 passes for 25 yards and a touchdown. Davis accounted for 109 touchdowns in his four-year career.[20]

Bridgewater: His final stats were: 781-1142 (68.4%) 9817 yards, 72 touchdowns against just 24 interceptions. He also ran the ball 226 times for 170 yards and 6 touchdowns. Bridgewater accounted for78 touchdowns in his Three year career.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Why couldn't Shaun Hill do what Davis did to the Cowboys?

Because he was sitting on the bench

Although I'm all for a miracle story about an un drafted qb making good let's wait till teams have tape on him.

Teams already have tape on him now so personally I would like to see him for at least another game or 2 to see if he is the real deal or not.

I'm an ancient astronaut theorist too.

Lmao I am too...

I heard a few of Kurt Warners teammates getting interviewed and we're asked how they felt about him starting game 1 of the 99 season. All of them said they didn't know he would do what he did. Some of the vets had the "here we go again" attitude (quoted from D. Farr)... Martz was always on his back because he couldn't throw a spiral. And Vermeil said it took a few games to know he was the real deal. We just have to give him a chance to prove who he is. And everyone is acting like he is a rookie.... He is a 3rd year vet that has been in the same system his whole career. And you cannot deny the fact that he has played 2 full games and has completed over 70% of his passes in BOTH games... AND he is doing it while not dinking and dunking! Davis has some kind of magic about him, it's a different feel with him running the offence than with Bradford, clemens, and the little I seen from Hill.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kinda Stole this partial quote from Bumrap on one of the OTHER boards, but interesting.

Look now I liked this kid, Bridgewater was the most NFL ready QB to come out this year followed by Carr. Rams had their pick and it was Garrett. But post actually is about Davis. Teddy does the same things well. Mobility, Pocket Pressence and anticipation and accuracy. Davis has played even better over the past 2.5 games. Davis' numbers for Teddy would be considered as affirmation and Bridgewater fans and Vikes will feel confident they have their man.

So why is it so hard for Rams and Ram Fans to accept or respect the play of Davis? Its like we have to hedge when saying we think this guy may be the guy. He is the closest thing to the guy that we have seen in a long while. Dallas beat New Orleans and Vikes beat the Falcons. Hope is still alive. Lets enjoy it and embrace what we have win lose or draw but let Davis finish cutting his teeth. Let him disqualify himself if that is even possible.

Davis's college numbers: His final stats were: 933-1527 (61.1%) for 10,898 yards, 83 touchdowns against just 27 interceptions. He also ran the ball 460 times for 1,375 yards and 25 touchdowns. He also caught 2 passes for 25 yards and a touchdown. Davis accounted for 109 touchdowns in his four-year career.[20]

Bridgewater: His final stats were: 781-1142 (68.4%) 9817 yards, 72 touchdowns against just 24 interceptions. He also ran the ball 226 times for 170 yards and 6 touchdowns. Bridgewater accounted for78 touchdowns in his Three year career.

Stats as a whole are not good for evaluating QBs...college stats especially. Bridgewater was clearly the better player coming out. But we'll see what Austin Davis can do. I hope he's given a chance as he's really seemed to develop since he stepped onto that field as a starter. I want to see more.

Teams already have tape on him now so personally I would like to see him for at least another game or 2 to see if he is the real deal or not.

Lmao I am too...

I heard a few of Kurt Warners teammates getting interviewed and we're asked how they felt about him starting game 1 of the 99 season. All of them said they didn't know he would do what he did. Some of the vets had the "here we go again" attitude (quoted from D. Farr)... Martz was always on his back because he couldn't throw a spiral. And Vermeil said it took a few games to know he was the real deal. We just have to give him a chance to prove who he is. And everyone is acting like he is a rookie.... He is a 3rd year vet that has been in the same system his whole career. And you cannot deny the fact that he has played 2 full games and has completed over 70% of his passes in BOTH games... AND he is doing it while not dinking and dunking! Davis has some kind of magic about him, it's a different feel with him running the offence than with Bradford, clemens, and the little I seen from Hill.

I'll say this, nobody can argue that Davis stats are inflated. The guy is taking shots down the field. He definitely has some magic to him...but we'll have to wait and see if it wears off. Wouldn't be the first time you have fool's gold. But I really am hoping for the best. It would take a season that seemed like a nightmare and turn it into a blessing in disguise.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Does everyone remember Ryan Fitzpatricks first game?
3rd string QB shows some "magic" and wows the league. A few games later and almost everyone thought he was a flash in the pan. Not the genuine article.

Well he never was great, but FitzHarvard has turned his chance into a lengthy career that's had its moments.
Eventually Austin Davis is going to face some bad days. Hopefully he isn't instantly deemed another flash in the pan, fools gold player by fans with unrealistic expectations.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Anyone who thinks Fisher will do anything but play to win at this point is letting their perception of which Qb is better over rule ,or prematurely writing the season off.
It's not in the interest of the team at this point to stick to an old principle like the "you don't lose your job to injury" and compromise winning, Davis doesn't act like a guy who's worried about Hill taking the job and FWIW if you award him the job THEN he will ,for now he's playing without the pressure of losing a job that isn't his so he's playing like he has nothing to lose.
HAS anyone thought that Fisher is trying to keep the pressure off the kid of knowing he has the whole season in his lap and letting him just deal with things one game at a time? I hate to say this but I'd be very surprised if Davis doesn't have a game like Cousins had in him in the near future he hasn't seen a great defense ,I do think he's proven to the league he can be a solid backup and get you through a 3-4 game spot.
Fisher will IMO play who he believes gives this team the best chance to win until wins are no longer important to this season ,other considerations are just projection as Herman Edwards said " you play to win the game " that's how a coach acts in his best interest and at this point still in the best interest of the team.

WHEN AND IF Fisher names Davis the starter ,I'll get on board the train happily,but for NOW the judgement of the people who see these guys everyday watch film, know their classroom acumen, knows the locker room, is the most salient information to be considered and I will support their decision ,just like they yield to medical advice .

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That was an interesting perspective Thor. It makes sense that it actually takes pressure off of him, and you can definitely tell the preparation that has been put in.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong. I think he should be starting.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I really wonder this as well. I'd go a step further and speculate that maybe there never was a Hill injury but it makes for a great smokescreen/cover story. I have observed that Hill never talks about his health to media. Then again, I'm an ancient astronaut theorist too.

Ancient astronaut. :D Maybe the NFL just doesn't have any way to measure grit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Does everyone remember Ryan Fitzpatricks first game?
3rd string QB shows some "magic" and wows the league. A few games later and almost everyone thought he was a flash in the pan. Not the genuine article.

Well he never was great, but FitzHarvard has turned his chance into a lengthy career that's had its moments.
Eventually Austin Davis is going to face some bad days. Hopefully he isn't instantly deemed another flash in the pan, fools gold player by fans with unrealistic expectations.

Fitz has shown himself to be a high quality backup/borderline starter. If that ends up being the ceiling for Davis, I'll still be pretty happy, as going into the season he looked like a guy who would be lucky to be a quality 3rd stringer.

And if he shows a higher ceiling than Fitz ... then damn, we might have stumbled onto something by pure dumb luck. That's how we ended up with Warner.

(And NO, I'm NOT comparing him to Warner, just the means of acquisition by the Rams, so save it).

RamWoodie

Legend
One thing you HAVE to give Davis over Hill, is the ability to make something out of a bad play. He has the better mobility. I wouldn't argue with either starting Sunday.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I think the doubt that Davis is the real deal, is directly related to Fisher constantly saying he's our back up.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I have a sneaky suspicion that Fisher has already decided to go with Davis already.

For the same obvious reasons that we have determined.

I think he's just playing his cards close to his vest, for now.

If I'm wrong and Fisher actually does start Hill, well...

I think that becomes the beginning of the end for Fisher with me.
I think the same thing, the "go with the hot hand" theory . . . and if he throws a couple bad INTs, Hill is there. . . .but hopefully he'll play okay.