Austin Davis for Starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramathon

Hill wasn't the starter, he was the backup. I can see sticking to that rule for a key starter, but not for the backup.
He was the starter once Bradford went down. That's exactly why they brought him on board as the #2...because hopefully, the dropoff between #1 & #2 doesn't totally destroy the season.

Davis is on the team as a ""we don't have any other option" #3 QB. And I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't be on the team at all if Bradford hadn't been hurt. In that scenario, I suspect Gilbert would have been signed to the practice squad and AD would be on the street...where he was most of last year and not one of the other 31 teams in the league brought him in for so much as a looksee.

Look, AD has had 2 good games. And has done far better than anyone would have expected. But jeez leweez...., he also threw 2 rather costly pics in the loss to Dallas. It just amazes me how everyone wants to praise the beejesus out of the good stuff he's done, but just totally discounts his mistakes. It's the total antithesis of the way this town treated Bradford.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have a sneaky suspicion that Fisher has already decided to go with Davis already.

For the same obvious reasons that we have determined.

I think he's just playing his cards close to his vest, for now.

If I'm wrong and Fisher actually does start Hill, well...

I think that becomes the beginning of the end for Fisher with me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He was the starter once Bradford went down. That's exactly why they brought him on board as the #2...because hopefully, the dropoff between #1 & #2 doesn't totally destroy the season.

Davis is on the team as a ""we don't have any other option" #3 QB. And I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't be on the team at all if Bradford hadn't been hurt. In that scenario, I suspect Gilbert would have been signed to the practice squad and AD would be on the street...where he was most of last year and not one of the other 31 teams in the league brought him in for so much as a looksee.

Look, AD has had 2 good games. And has done far better than anyone would have expected. But jeez leweez...., he also threw 2 rather costly pics in the loss to Dallas. It just amazes me how everyone wants to praise the beejesus out of the good stuff he's done, but just totally discounts his mistakes. It's the total antithesis of the way this town treated Bradford.

While I would totally agree with the bolded part, I'm not so sure the Rams would have only kept two QBs with Sam coming off such recent surgery and a 34 year old back-up. Now with the way Davis has played - INTs and all, he is at minimum working his way into a Cassel or Kolb situation where if he goes back to being the back-up, he will be looking for a starting role somewhere and there undoubtedly will be teams that have seen him play and willing to pay him more AT MINIMUM to be their back-up.

In that respect, I would like the Rams to see just what the kid has got. If Hill showed a huge upside compared to Davis, I'd go with Hill but I just don't see it like I thought I would. I like Shaun Hill and thought he was a good pick-up. I'm just not sure at this point he makes the most sense as anything but a back-up should Davis either tank or go down.

As to the INTs in the Dallas game, I've seen virtually every QB make those same throws and pay. The first one was the worst obviously as he simply didn't see the LB behind the O-line and it resulted in a big score. The other one was a bit overthrown and though I REALLY like what Quick is doing for us right now, I thought he went up early and didn't really stretch for the ball. It would have been a really tough catch but I thought it was a ball that he could have at least gotten a hand on. On that throw though, they were going for it and that is a tight window with a man under and a man over. 6" and that is a huge play for us. Would Hill have made that play or put us in position to not need that play? Not sure. Would Hill have seen the LB behind the line? Not sure. But that WAS a designed play with Stacey leaking out.

Bottom line is that I don't really know if Hill gives us a better chance at this point. It is still very early and if he does then you HAVE to play him. But if there is not an obvious advantage, I would rather they play Davis.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have a sneaky suspicion that Fisher has already decided to go with Davis already.

I kind of think he's playing a little poker too. I don't see any reason to play Hill until Davis is hurt of falls off his magic carpet.

...............always nice to see you 43

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

I really wonder this as well. I'd go a step further and speculate that maybe there never was a Hill injury but it makes for a great smokescreen/cover story. I have observed that Hill never talks about his health to media. Then again, I'm an ancient astronaut theorist too.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Hopefully Davis starts, I like his excitement, the scrambling ability, he puts the ball were the receiver has a better chance to catch it and he is drivin " I will be there to watch my Rams for the first time in Phillys new stadium. The last time the Rams were here I believe it was still Veterans Stadium, going back to the GSOT. The last couple meetings have been in St Louis if I am correct. The new stadium is nice and it would look good in St Louis area. Not as big as Met Life, but more like Patriots.

RamWoodie

Legend
Gonna leave this one to Fisher because he has insisted that Hill is the starter...and I believe there's a reason for that. Fisher isn't the type of coach that will clearly see a player is better and not go with him. All things being equal...you have to go with the veteran.

I'm definitely a Davis supporter but I also know what I see, and Davis still has work to do on reading defenses.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Bottom line is that I don't really know if Hill gives us a better chance at this point. It is still very early and if he does then you HAVE to play him. But if there is not an obvious advantage, I would rather they play Davis.
Agreed 503, If Snead and the FO are not behind Hill then this is a dicey situation for a coach. On one hand you have the sheer marketing advantage the younger and more exciting Davis brings. On the other hand you have what you hope to be a wiley experienced vet making fewer mistakes at a much lower excitement level brings.
If you go on to lose with what looks like the safe choices lack of production or blunder filled performance then things are going to get interesting at Rams park quick. I am guessing this decision has been discussed at the FO level as well as coaching level.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm all for seeing what the Rams have in Hill. I would have him on a short leash but I would hate to learn mid-season we had the better QB on the bench.

I'm grateful that we KNOW what we have in AD and can bring him in if needed but I don't see the sense in benching an unknown who performed very well in TC and PS.

When the Rams get to the 49er game, they need to know they have the best QB on the field. I would have no problem anointing AD if he is indeed the best QB and I don't think Fisher would have a problem with it either.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bottom line is that I don't really know if Hill gives us a better chance at this point.

Until you play him, you won't know. The Eagles is the last chance to play him and find out before the really hard patch. I say play him for the first half and see what Rams have.

If he has issues and AD comes in and lights it up, we'll all be certain.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
imo the you don't lose your job to injury policy is widely accepted around the league.after all you don't want player playing overly caucious for fear they may get injured and thier replacement plays well and takes thier job.so i'm for starting hill and if he plays poorly bring davis in. most of the time the starter is the starter because he has performed better at practice. now maybe davis is one of those players that just plays better in games then at practice but hill was the starter.

Ramathon

While I would totally agree with the bolded part, I'm not so sure the Rams would have only kept two QBs with Sam coming off such recent surgery and a 34 year old back-up. Now with the way Davis has played - INTs and all, he is at minimum working his way into a Cassel or Kolb situation where if he goes back to being the back-up, he will be looking for a starting role somewhere and there undoubtedly will be teams that have seen him play and willing to pay him more AT MINIMUM to be their back-up.

In that respect, I would like the Rams to see just what the kid has got. If Hill showed a huge upside compared to Davis, I'd go with Hill but I just don't see it like I thought I would. I like Shaun Hill and thought he was a good pick-up. I'm just not sure at this point he makes the most sense as anything but a back-up should Davis either tank or go down.

As to the INTs in the Dallas game, I've seen virtually every QB make those same throws and pay. The first one was the worst obviously as he simply didn't see the LB behind the O-line and it resulted in a big score. The other one was a bit overthrown and though I REALLY like what Quick is doing for us right now, I thought he went up early and didn't really stretch for the ball. It would have been a really tough catch but I thought it was a ball that he could have at least gotten a hand on. On that throw though, they were going for it and that is a tight window with a man under and a man over. 6" and that is a huge play for us. Would Hill have made that play or put us in position to not need that play? Not sure. Would Hill have seen the LB behind the line? Not sure. But that WAS a designed play with Stacey leaking out.

Agree with virtually everything you say except the bit about AD working his way into a Kolb/Cassell like situation. That's certainly a possibility, I just don't see it as all that probable......as of right now. Of course, if he gets a few more games experience and continues to play at the high level he has thus far, then anything is possible.

And yes, every QB throws some bad INT's occasionally. Brett Favre made some of THE dumbest rookie mistakes in his last few yrs that you could find any QB doing. So, I don't put anything more on AD for that than any other QB. It just amazes me how many Rams' fans just seem to totally ignore the mistakes he's made, but would nitpick every little hangnail of a flaw in Bradford's game....ad nauseum.

I would also agree that I'm not all that convinced Hill actually does provide any better option at QB than does AD. But it's Fisher's job and I understand he's playing the percentages and would probably do the same in his shoes. For better or worse, you pretty well know what you're gonna get out of Hill. With AD, he might go on to be another Kurt Warner like story. But what are the odds? I mean, think about it....what are the odds of one franchise having 2 such 'storybook' made for the movies careers happen at all....let alone 2 within 15 yr of each other. It might happen. And I might hit the Powerball next week too.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't see the downside to at least starting Davis.

Heck, if he stumbles, put Hill in there. By stumble, I mean starts to look lost out there and is making too many stupid decisions.

He's had two pretty good games. He's going to make mistakes. Just has to limit them and not put the team in really bad situations. But to think he won't continue to make mistakes seems naive to me.

So, I'd put him in there... ride him until he falls off the horse (we'll know when that is).

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Play Davis! His interceptions were no worse than Hill's and the second one was in desperation time.
Bottom line, get our overpaid, under performing defense playing at least like a top half unit so that our QB's don't have to try to save the day late in a game that was won in the first quarter.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Oh how the tides have turned since two weeks ago.

LooNaTik83

I think even at this point only being the 4th week. Taking Davis out and putting in Hill would break down the chemistry in which Davis and Quick have already formed during the season thus far. I say continue Davis and let the kid mold himself to this team and do great things for he deserves it.

goldenram

UDFA
Actually he went to the Phins to replace Pat Devlin (#3 QB) that had a foot injury. Wasn't as bad as first thought so they let AD go. He was on the Practice field with the Texans when he got the call from us that Sam was hurt and we needed him back.
Maybe just me.... but it looked stat-wise and play-wise (not impressive as first season though) that he out played Clemens last year in pre-season any way, but they still decided to keep Clemens instead. I don't know how he looks in practice but he sure looks CALM, COOL, and IN CHARGE when he's in a game. He also appears to have the Team and Fans behind him, which haven't seen in quite some time.... Let AD Play.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Who changed the title? Now ^^^ makes no sense :( not that I make much sense 99% of the time, but this one is particularly obvious :oops:.

I did. If we can get AD in here for an interview it would help if he knew his name was being spelled correctly(no offense to the OP). :)

I watched Mike Glennon play yesterday and he looked pretty damn good for the most part. So here's another QB controversy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...th-wont-commit-to-mike-glennon-for-this-week/

Lovie Smith won’t commit to Mike Glennon for this week
Posted by Josh Alper on September 29, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqwmwvlmdg3mzixnzyymzywmdk2mgvimjg1mtvmy2m4-e1412020726195.jpeg
AP

Quarterback Mike Glennon led the Buccaneers to their first win of the season on Sunday, but coach Lovie Smith wasn’t willing to name him the starter for Tampa’s trip to New Orleans in Week Five.

Smith was asked whether Glennon would start against the Saints if Josh McCown’s thumb got a clean bill of health this week. Smith declined to answer, saying that he makes his decisions at every position based on who is available and who would give the team the best chance to win. He also referred to Glennon as the team’s quarterback of the future when discussing Glennon’s performance.

“When you’re labeled ‘quarterback of the future,’ that’s what you’re supposed to do when you come out,” Smith said, via JoeBucFan.com.

McCown was expected to test his thumb on Monday as part of the process of determining whether or not he’ll need surgery, so a bad result on that front could make the decision easy for the Bucs. It would also keep Smith from having to make any longer commitment to Glennon based on one game, something that seems to appeal to the coach.

If things go the other way, things are a bit more difficult but Glennon did enough on Sunday to merit another look. The second half saw the team move the ball better than it had in McCown’s two-plus games, which makes it tempting to find out whether or not the quarterback of the future should also be the quarterback of the present.

Athos

Legend
All in for the Miracle on Turf. That's what I'm calling Davis until he doesn't warrant that title anymore.

Saints? Maybe they're just overrated this year. They struggled mightily moving the ball on Cleveland if you remember. Dallas D ain't good. Davis shredded them. And well, part of that is we just have a superior run game. Saints run game has always sucked.

Dallas O-line does seem legit though.

Anyway, I don't want any QB back and forth. Stick with the guy who's moving your offense until he proves he can't move it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Play Davis! His interceptions were no worse than Hill's and the second one was in desperation time.
Bottom line, get our overpaid, under performing defense playing at least like a top half unit so that our QB's don't have to try to save the day late in a game that was won in the first quarter.

You just said a mouthful, Ballhawk.

Look, it's not as if Hill is likely gonna lead us to the playoffs, anyway. No disrespect, but he was brought in to be a placeholder if Bradford had to miss a game or two. As such, he was a good signing. But that's it. Hill is simply not the long term future at QB with the Rams.

But Davis is young and shown signs that he could be far more. We should give him the reins and see what he can do. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Hell, Davis MIGHT become our future 10 year starter. Only one way to find out. What do we, or Fisher, have to lose?

We can always draft or sign a FA QB next offseason, depending on what Davis shows us.

Start the kid!