Austin Awarded NFC Special Teams Player of the Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Austin Awarded NFC Special Teams Player of the Week
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Austin-Awarded-NFC-Special-Teams-Player-of-the-Week/c80e9944-ace7-4687-a145-963073880490

For the second time in his first two seasons, Tavon Austin has been named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Austin was a key element in Sunday’s 24-0 victory over Washington, as he tallied 143 punt return yards -- the most of any player in a single game this season. Three of his returns went for 28-plus yards, the longest being his 78-yard return for a touchdown in the third quarter.

“It felt good,” Austin said after the game. “With all the hard work we put in practice and everything, it’s finally paying off. It just doesn’t stop here, though. We’ve got a mission. We’re going to keep going. Our mission is to be the No. 1 punt return team in the league.”

With 60 yards from scrimmage, the young receiver racked up 203 all purpose yards on Sunday -- his highest total of the season.

Austin was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week in Week 10 of 2013, when he returned a punt 98 yards for a touchdown in the Rams’ 38-8 victory over the Colts. He racked up 145 yards on four punts, 27 yards on a kick return, 138 yards receiving, and four yards rushing to total 314 all purpose yards in that game.

And Austin’s accomplishment this week also puts him in an exclusive class, as he becomes the first Ram to win a Player of the Week Award in his first two years with the team since Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
A light has come on for this young man... and Schotty has figured out better ways to use him (jet sweep as opposed to hand-offs up the middle) - and you can see an extra bounce in his step. I'm looking for him to have more big plays tomorrow night and the rest of the season. I'll be rocking my WVU #1 autographed Tavon jersey tomorrow night.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kid deserves it after all he has been through with Mr. Yellow Flag.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
upload_2014-12-10_12-30-10.png
temp20141130_RamsWAS22--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It just seems like the more he touches the ball, the more his confidence goes up, and the more plays he makes. Remember the colts game last year, and that 500+ yard game in college? This last game was kinda like that. Just feed the playmaker!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A light has come on for this young man... and Schotty has figured out better ways to use him (jet sweep as opposed to hand-offs up the middle) - and you can see an extra bounce in his step. I'm looking for him to have more big plays tomorrow night and the rest of the season. I'll be rocking my WVU #1 autographed Tavon jersey tomorrow night.
I don't know that Schotty was dumb and didn't know how to use him correctly, in as much as I think that once Tavon enters the game, he becomes the focus of the defense. A lot of what he does is beneficial to the other receivers, or the run game. He's probably one of the most underrated decoys in the game right now. And if Isaac Bruce says that someone needs to work on their route running, and needs to understand zone concepts, then that *someone* probably wasn't doing everything he could to maximize his own abilities.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Shotty should incorporate as much of the WVU offense as he can for Tavon. if he can't get it going running routes down field then do it any other way possible. but then I expect deep routes next year with Bradford

That was one of the most spectacular performances I've ever seen in a football game....of course I'm a little biased.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I don't know that Schotty was dumb and didn't know how to use him correctly, in as much as I think that once Tavon enters the game, he becomes the focus of the defense. A lot of what he does is beneficial to the other receivers, or the run game. He's probably one of the most underrated decoys in the game right now. And if Isaac Bruce says that someone needs to work on their route running, and needs to understand zone concepts, then that *someone* probably wasn't doing everything he could to maximize his own abilities.

No, I get it... that's why I said a 'light' has come on for him. But I still think that it's obvious that in the last couple games that they've gotten him more into space then what they were doing earlier (between the tackles).