Aug 23 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks vet!
Still a lil too soon, no?....I don't see him getting cut until I see a replacement...and at the moment, the only guy that's shown he has that ability is SPRUCE...and he's hurt...Duke, McRoberts, and Thomas...and I like Mike Thomas & Duke Williams, still haven't done anything in a game yet...

It's not hard to replace a guy who was still running the wrong routes in year 2/3 and who continues to drop passes. In fact, I'd say it's not fair to the rest of the offense to give him a roster spot when he's been around as long as he has and still cannot produce.

Accountability. It can fix a lot of problems but you have to actually use it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, why I'm thinkin about it...

I believe Groh is changing the equation with all the pass catching types. From day one in OTAs the first thing we heard was that he was hammering on running the exact route, that running it a little short or long was NOT acceptable. He has gone to great lengths to instill that in this group and the hands part of the equation as well.

It comes back, IMO, to what you want your offense to be. The Rams drafted a QB who can sling it all over if necessary. They brought in a passing game coordinator who worked under the hottest offensive mind in the league (Gase). In his camp snaps Gurley could be seen being heavily integrated into the passing game, to include some deeper routes the like of which I haven't seen RBs run in this offense since Mad Mike was calling the shots. Clearly they are planning on building this offense into a potent passing attack. That does not mean they're going to ignore the run, but it is about passing game potency.

So now you have a guy who is a holdover that has struggled under previous leadership, but who STILL cannot execute. What do you do? Well, the writing's on the wall with Quick IMO. First cut. Dude will be gone next week, barring a great game vs Denver.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wonder if Quick was the player Fisher was talking about when he said, something to the extent that some of the guys cut will just have to give up on their childhood dreams and get on with their lives outside of football.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Danny Amendola is doing about the same production wise in NE as he did in STL. With a better QB. Donnie, Brandon Gibson and Lloyd were journeymen JAGs. All these guys had production as Rams but not on their second teams.

Lloyd led the league in rec. yards the season before the Rams got him (with Orton/tebow as QB). We know he had locker room issues, but he was more than JAG when the Rams got their hands on him.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True.

Partly true. He had SJack for 3 seasons. The again the OL wasn't exactly the best. At one point Adam Goldberg was starting...

Who are these young and vet WRs that played well elsewhere? Laurent Robinson, Mark Clayton, Mike Sims-Walker, Brandon Gibson, Donnie Avery, Mardy Gilyard, Danario Alexander, Austin Pettis, Greg Salas, Brandon freakin Lloyd, Chris Givens, Steve Smith.

Danny Amendola is doing about the same production wise in NE as he did in STL. With a better QB. Donnie, Brandon Gibson and Lloyd were journeymen JAGs. All these guys had production as Rams but not on their second teams.
We are comparing what Bradford walked in to and what Goff is walking in to. SJ was 26 and came off a 1700 yard season
Mark Clayton had been a 900 yard receiver, Amendola was about to bust on the scene. Robinson caught 11 TD for Dallas, Alexander caught 6 in San Diego. Gibson was a jag, but still out produced Brian Quick.
Apples to apples man. What SB had coming in was no worse than what Goff would have, if he got to actually play

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In fact, I'd say it's not fair to the rest of the offense to give him a roster spot when he's been around as long as he has and still cannot produce.
2014...25 receptions...375 yards...7 games....That's Quick...the real Quick...after 2 raw seasons Quick...With confidence Quick...14 ypc average Quick...They're not just giving him a spot...He can play...An injury season and now he's garbage? I don't believe it...And until we have a receiver that can replicate that...not in practice..not versus 3rd stringers...I'm going with the guy that's a walking first down if you continue to feed him the rock...Fisher would be crazy to cut a guy for a couple of rookies that haven't done squat...And trust me...I'm not saying this because Quick is some love child of mine...Throw these other guys the ball and lets SEE...Duke...McRoberts...Thomas...and the phenom known as SPRUCE...put them in...with the first team..in the first half...and lets SEE....
I've never seen a vet...cut...for 2 preseason game drops...I've seen them cut for injuries..Hell, I've seen almost everything..but because of 2 drops in the 2nd preseason game...Haven't seen that...
I would like to know what's up with North!!?!
He was working in 1 on 1's last week...Looked ok to me..No a sniff in 11 on 11's...Not sure what he did in 7 on 7....Unless he too can't figure out the playbook, and after listening to Hard Knocks and hearing a play call, I can't doubt him...Hell, who thinks of plays like that??? I can not see any physical reason why he hasn't played...I'm guessing PS...Redshirt season...But to me...out of all the rookies...North, Duke, & Thomas LOOK like NFL receivers(Def. Hill, maybe McRoberts)...that can actually help...5 yard patterns look good in practice & preseason...but when the games count..I doubt any of the other rookies will find getting OPEN/SEPARATING so easy...then we'll be back to, none of the wr's can get open...yada, yada, yada...who want's that? Appears that a bunch of fans in HERE do....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
2014...25 receptions...375 yards...7 games....That's Quick...the real Quick...after 2 raw seasons Quick...With confidence Quick...14 ypc average Quick...They're not just giving him a spot...He can play...An injury season and now he's garbage? I don't believe it...And until we have a receiver that can replicate that...not in practice..not versus 3rd stringers...I'm going with the guy that's a walking first down if you continue to feed him the rock...Fisher would be crazy to cut a guy for a couple of rookies that haven't done squat...And trust me...I'm not saying this because Quick is some love child of mine...Throw these other guys the ball and lets SEE...Duke...McRoberts...Thomas...and the phenom known as SPRUCE...put them in...with the first team..in the first half...and lets SEE....
I've never seen a vet...cut...for 2 preseason game drops...I've seen them cut for injuries..Hell, I've seen almost everything..but because of 2 drops in the 2nd preseason game...Haven't seen that...
He was working in 1 on 1's last week...Looked ok to me..No a sniff in 11 on 11's...Not sure what he did in 7 on 7....Unless he too can't figure out the playbook, and after listening to Hard Knocks and hearing a play call, I can't doubt him...Hell, who thinks of plays like that??? I can not see any physical reason why he hasn't played...I'm guessing PS...Redshirt season...But to me...out of all the rookies...North, Duke, & Thomas LOOK like NFL receivers(Def. Hill, maybe McRoberts)...that can actually help...5 yard patterns look good in practice & preseason...but when the games count..I doubt any of the other rookies will find getting OPEN/SEPARATING so easy...then we'll be back to, none of the wr's can get open...yada, yada, yada...who want's that? Appears that a bunch of fans in HERE do....

Two things, Champ...

It's not only the 2 PS game drops with Quick. Camp reporters tell us he's constantly dropping passes in practice. As recently as Vet's report from yesterday's practice in this very thread. Plus there's the evidence of the preceding 4 years, as well. Quick is a goner. Sorry

The other thing is that Duke and McRoberts appear to have the inside track to be among the 6 WR's kept. North and Thomas both appear to be a couple of swings for the fences that missed. Two more probable goners unless they have miraculous turnarounds in the next 2 weeks.

As an aside, fwiw, we shouldn't go to sleep on Hemingway as a possible semi WR player. They reportedly love him and he's getting lots of practice snaps as an inside WR.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's not hard to replace a guy who was still running the wrong routes in year 2/3 and who continues to drop passes. In fact, I'd say it's not fair to the rest of the offense to give him a roster spot when he's been around as long as he has and still cannot produce.

Accountability. It can fix a lot of problems but you have to actually use it.

Which
One is Brian Quick ? Dumb or dumber .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
4 years is long enough. If BQ isn't getting it done and still needs coaching up its way past time to move on

TexasRam

Legend
Plain and simple we cannot
Have drops. That's why we were the worst offense in football last year. Cook and the rest of the clowns couldn't catch the 3rd down pass.

It cannot happen this year. If you drop passes you are part of the problem and you are gone.

If fisher keeps Quick after the constant drops then Fisher is a fool. Shame on him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plain and simple we cannot
Have drops. That's why we were the worst offense in football last year. Cook and the rest of the clowns couldn't catch the 3rd down pass.

while you're right the ball always came late so they had a defender draped all over them. tough to make catches in that situation.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@LACHAMP46 I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that 2014 was the real Quick. 2 garbage seasons, a couple of good games mixed in with some ok games, another garbage season, and then pure trash leading up to the 5th season. What convinced you that 2014 was really him? I see it more likely that it's a cosmic error. The Universe forgot he sucks, so he played well, until the Universe remembered again and broke him to make up for it (I apologize for my poor sense of humor).

Or maybe it was an isolated incident, so to speak. He played well at that time, with those players and coaches, but isn't likely to do so again. He hasn't shown at any other time he's capable of playing like that. I could see if he had a couple of ok seasons, then was great before he got hurt, then has another mediocre season that we could hope for him to turn great again. With what he has shown though I don't see, but I'd like to, where the perception that he's actually that talented comes from.

Not to keep piling on here, but 2 drops in a game aren't a concern... Unless you only got targeted 4 times... And had a drop or two the game before on 3 or so targets. I'm not concerned about the number, I'm concerned about the percentage.

Athos

Legend
Two things, Champ...

It's not only the 2 PS game drops with Quick. Camp reporters tell us he's constantly dropping passes in practice. As recently as Vet's report from yesterday's practice in this very thread. Plus there's the evidence of the preceding 4 years, as well. Quick is a goner. Sorry

The other thing is that Duke and McRoberts appear to have the inside track to be among the 6 WR's kept. North and Thomas both appear to be a couple of swings for the fences that missed. Two more probable goners unless they have miraculous turnarounds in the next 2 weeks.

As an aside, fwiw, we shouldn't go to sleep on Hemingway as a possible semi WR player. They reportedly love him and he's getting lots of practice snaps as an inside WR.

Dunno why they couldn't do a Kelvin Benjamin with Hemmingway. Granted he's even more raw than Benjamin was, but it's not like Kelvin ran many routes at FSU anyway.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Lloyd led the league in rec. yards the season before the Rams got him (with Orton/tebow as QB). We know he had locker room issues, but he was more than JAG when the Rams got their hands on him.....

One good year does not a career make.

We are comparing what Bradford walked in to and what Goff is walking in to. SJ was 26 and came off a 1700 yard season
Mark Clayton had been a 900 yard receiver, Amendola was about to bust on the scene. Robinson caught 11 TD for Dallas, Alexander caught 6 in San Diego. Gibson was a jag, but still out produced Brian Quick.
Apples to apples man. What SB had coming in was no worse than what Goff would have, if he got to actually play

Not even close. Like Brandon Lloyd, one good year a career doesn't make. Laurent Robinson was thought of so highly, he was gone after 1 year.

Danny Amendola hasn't had a better year than as a Rams.

Sam Bradford didn't have a consistent starting line, a strong RB group, or developed WRs like Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin. OK he had a rookie Tavon for 7 games. Its pretty obvious, most people would say the Rams' offense is much better than it was a few years ago, and Sam would have benefited from it.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
One good year does not a career make.

Not even close. Like Brandon Lloyd, one good year a career doesn't make. Laurent Robinson was thought of so highly, he was gone after 1 year.

Danny Amendola hasn't had a better year than as a Rams.

Sam Bradford didn't have a consistent starting line, a strong RB group, or developed WRs like Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin. OK he had a rookie Tavon for 7 games. Its pretty obvious, most people would say the Rams' offense is much better than it was a few years ago, and Sam would have benefited from it.

Hold on are trying to say that Lloyd "had one good year"...but a guy like Britt is a "Developed WR"? Britt's Career is well below Lloyds. Britt has never broken 800yrds in a season, Lloyd did it 3 times in his career. Lloyd was a far better receiver when the Rams had him than anyone on the current roster has shown to be.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hold on are trying to say that Lloyd "had one good year"...but a guy like Britt is a "Developed WR"? Britt's Career is well below Lloyds. Britt has never broken 800yrds in a season, Lloyd did it 3 times in his career. Lloyd was a far better receiver when the Rams had him than anyone on the current roster has shown to be.

So what? Brandon Lloyd was/is a journeyman. OK, see he had a whopping TWO good seasons were with Josh McDaniels as OC. He didn't do shit anywhere else. I'm still pissed Billy Devaney actually traded a pick for a journeyman. Everywhere else he was about the same as Kenny Britt, +/- some yards. And yes, Kenny Britt is more developed than Brandon Lloyd. He's been with Jeff Fisher since the beginning. With most likely in similar offenses, playbooks, concepts, etc (yes I'm totally speculating there).